Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
*sigh* I thought you meant a Super Walmart was coming. People can say what they want about WalMart, I envy the Super Walmarts they have across the country.
Wish they had a Super Wal Mart here, too!

I don't get why people are always jumping on the "hate WalMart" bandwagon. They don't even know WHY they hate WalMart; they just drank the Kool Aid and started singing the chant ---- "they put Mom and Pop stores out of business" "they send all the work overseas" etc etc etc. Stupid.

I'd rather shop at Wal Mart and save a good 20-25% off my bill than go to a grocery store.
I'd rather shop at Wal Mart and pay $2.39 for a loaf of (brand name) whole wheat bread than go to a "Mom and Pop" and pay $4.35 for it.

To me? The more Wal Marts, the better!!! People are having a hard enough time financially. It's great that they can go to Wal Mart and get a bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 02:49 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post

I don't get why people are always jumping on the "hate WalMart" bandwagon. They don't even know WHY they hate WalMart; they just drank the Kool Aid and started singing the chant ---- "they put Mom and Pop stores out of business" "they send all the work overseas" etc etc etc. Stupid.

I'd rather shop at Wal Mart and save a good 20-25% off my bill than go to a grocery store.
I'd rather shop at Wal Mart and pay $2.39 for a loaf of (brand name) whole wheat bread than go to a "Mom and Pop" and pay $4.35 for it.

To me? The more Wal Marts, the better!!! People are having a hard enough time financially. It's great that they can go to Wal Mart and get a bargain.
What about the fact that they sell crap products?

The food is crap, the products that they sell (non-name brand) aren't known for quality/longevity, the stores are a confusing maze of garbage and the clothes they sell are laughable.

What is good about Walmart again? I guess when the only thing you care about is dollars, you are willing to spend money on garbage.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:24 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post

The food is crap, the products that they sell (non-name brand) aren't known for quality/longevity, the stores are a confusing maze of garbage and the clothes they sell are laughable.

What is good about Walmart again? I guess when the only thing you care about is dollars, you are willing to spend money on garbage.
Yup and the people that go to Wal-Mart don't realize they are pushing jobs out of the US. Why make anything in the US when you can have a child in SE Asia do it for pennies a day! And Wal-Mart started this trend. But they don't care, as long as they can buy some cheap faded glory jeans and crappy particle board furniture, they saved a few dollars. Even though they'll have to replace it 90% sooner than the item that costs twice as much. I'd rather spend more for something I know will last. You get what you pay for.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Walmart baby - Yes!! Bringing more high quality jobs to the area...

Mr. Ghetto - Walmart - YouTube

Old 05-15-2013, 03:36 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post

"People are having a hard enough time financially. "

Yeah, thanks to the likes of Walmart. Why do people hate them? Because they use their giant bankroll to buy politicians...using this political clout to muscle their way into making their own laws, controlling US commerce and destroying the competition.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:39 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
A lot of people dont live in the rich area of Long Island like you do. They have to stretch a dollar. We are all kind of jealous of people who live in Gold Coast bungalows.
Im sorry if you were banished ...but welcome back.

Our local Wal Mart is in Setauket.

Beware the Golden Sphincter.
The High Cost of low price.

Crooks

Old 05-15-2013, 05:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Walmart baby - Yes!! Bringing more high quality jobs to the area...

Mr. Ghetto - Walmart - YouTube
lol

Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
After years of battling zoning and unions, Walmart is finally coming to levittown. Only food.
As an ex-NYr here'd my 2 cents. We had one come into our town last year. No M&Ps were put out of business. What it did do was bring down the prices in all the supermarkets in the town. On most items Walmart prices are now actually higher than in the supermarkets. What they do is look at the top 100 items and lowball them. Most of our county caught onto this pretty quickly and now the WM parking lot is pretty empty and for the times I've walked in I've never seen a line yet. Their lowball areas are bread, sodas, chips, veggies & fruit. What WM also does is order larger packages to give the perception of more for less when it fact its not. As to our supermarkets, the staff levels look the same and register lines are not any longer. But at least now the prices are inline with the bigger cities who have higher populations and lower prices.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:45 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,253 times
Are they ever doing anything with that vacant warehouse at the 24/Gardiner's Ave intersection? Everytime I drive by there I have to convince myself that human civilization is not being overrun by a zombie apocalypse.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:50 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post

I purchase name-brand food at WalMart for a good 15-25% cheaper than at the supermarket. I also buy certain produce there and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I don't know what "products" you're talking about. I've purchased non-name-brand things there such as light bulbs, notebooks, office supplies, etc. Never had a problem with anything. I don't know what products you're talking about.

I don't do clothes shopping at WalMart, although they do sell Jordache jeans now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island