Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Aren't those questions you should have the guts to ask your spouse?

Just tell your spouse all these points and insist it is time to "shuffle off to Buffalo" stat ... pronto ... ASAP ... and stop wasting time on miserable Long Island!

Why do you think that because YOU PERSONALLY find absolutely no joy in living here that EVERYONE ELSE should not either and that EVERYONE ELSE on LI is living their lives "wrong" if they don't agree with you?

Frankly, it seems like YOU are the one who is living their life wrong and full of regret. I feel sorry for you.
No I don't think that everyone on LI lives their lives wrong. For many people it makes perfect sense to live on Long Island. I have a cousin who lives in one of those upscale areas of Buffalo that I think would love living in Long Island because of her love for fine luxury goods and her looking down her nose at everyone. Instead of living in her isolated upscale Buffalo suburb surrounded by more mortals, she should move to where the "beautiful people" are everywhere!

What I don't like is the attitude in Long Island that no where else in the country has any value and is inferior to Long Island in every aspect. That I find just ignorant and a little sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
What I don't like is the attitude in Long Island that no where else in the country has any value and is inferior to Long Island in every aspect. That I find just ignorant and a little sad.
You know when people say an area has lots of this and that, it's not even the majority. Why do you speak like this is the majority of LI attitudes? Is it really?

This whole "friendlier people" thing is a load of crud. I lived there for 4.5 years. It's not like down south where everyone waves to each other. And it's not like people were smiling at each other when they're driving or walking by. Not even in Amherst. I think you're grasping at straws.

It's amazing to me that in such a thread, Buffalo / WNY (of which people in the Buffalo thread even claim as an armpit) has been our biggest focus. Even you identified some serious cons about living there. What does that tell us about the rest of the country compared to where we are? Serious question.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-22-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
You know when people say an area has lots of this and that, it's not even the majority. Why do you speak like this is the majority of LI attitudes? Is it really?
to a narrow minded person with limited perspective and even less self awareness, it probably does seem that way!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
to a narrow minded person with limited perspective and even less self awareness, it probably does seem that way!
Oh please

Old 05-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

This whole "friendlier people" thing is a load of crud. I lived there for 4.5 years. It's not like down south where everyone waves to each other. And it's not like people were smiling at each other when they're driving or walking by. Not even in Amherst. I think you're grasping at straws.

It's amazing to me that in such a thread, Buffalo / WNY (of which people in the Buffalo thread even claim as an armpit) has been our biggest focus. Even you identified some serious cons about living there. What does that tell us about the rest of the country compared to where we are?
No, it's not like the South and that is a good thing because in the south that kind of friendliness is very surface.

Living at the dorms at UB for 4 1/2 years doesn't give you a feel for what it is like to live there in a neighborhood setting.

I live on the North Shore of Long Island, and take it from me, the Long Island attitude is widespread whether intended or not. My immediate neighbors are ok though. My immediate neighbors though all have one thing in common, they have lived other places other than Long Island sometime in their lives. One even spent their honeymoon in Buffalo, I kid you not!! I couldn't ask for a better neighbor, he even cuts his lawn with his Anchor Bar shirt on

Last edited by Port North; 05-22-2013 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-22-2013, 11:56 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,356 times
We have goods???

Old 05-22-2013, 03:04 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Living at the dorms at UB for 4 1/2 years doesn't give you a feel for what it is like to live there in a neighborhood setting.
That's a wrong assumption. By mentioning north shore it's apparent you don't really think it's everywhere. Give it a break.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:33 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
No this is funny! In the post right above you're blasting him for the "extreme materialism and narrow mindedness of LI" and in this one you're looking down your nose upon the "lower class" cultural amenities of Hempstead!
Let's include indoor plumbing in that list.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:52 PM

628 posts, read 662,709 times
Those savages on long island don't even have Wegmans. Now that is uncultured.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydean View Post
Those savages on long island don't even have Wegmans. Now that is uncultured.
Oh how I miss it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island