Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 01:50 PM

75 posts, read 227,553 times

Advertisements

First off, I'm not moving or looking to move, but I know LI is a crazy expensive place to live. I'm inspired by the other thread about relocating, but curious - in the country, what are some nice areas where you can really get a good deal on real estate?

I watch House Hunters and I saw a couple get a house for under $100K in Detroit...but then, that was Detroit. I know SC and NC seem to also be popular destinations for ex-Long Islanders - Phoenix, too. I'm curious to hear from people who know more than me -- would love to check out some real estate and see what you can get for your money in other states.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM

39 posts, read 74,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshore99 View Post
First off, I'm not moving or looking to move, but I know LI is a crazy expensive place to live. I'm inspired by the other thread about relocating, but curious - in the country, what are some nice areas where you can really get a good deal on real estate?

I watch House Hunters and I saw a couple get a house for under $100K in Detroit...but then, that was Detroit. I know SC and NC seem to also be popular destinations for ex-Long Islanders - Phoenix, too. I'm curious to hear from people who know more than me -- would love to check out some real estate and see what you can get for your money in other states.

Thanks
I did some research 2 years ago in the Dallas area, 300-350k was getting great houses. But then property taxes are pretty much in the same range as here in LI. Also, in good school districts, real estate is premium in relation to it's vicinity. FortWorth area was little cheaper compared to Dallas area. Also houses prices seem to have risen there in the last two years there.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:05 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
As pp mentioned, any real estate that's in a good, safe area, with good schools and close to amenities, is going to be fairly pricey. Where you really save money moving from Long Island is property taxes, utilities and insurance.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:16 PM

192 posts, read 298,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshore99 View Post

Thanks
Around 300,000 for a 3/4 bed and 2 bath in a good area (8-10 level schools) in South Florida.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:45 PM

168 posts, read 289,440 times
Hi,

Now that you mention... we also watch House Hunters and it's <put here your adjective> to see some of the houses in the 200K range that here in LI would be 700K!!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 08:09 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott19 View Post
Around 300,000 for a 3/4 bed and 2 bath in a good area (8-10 level schools) in South Florida.
ahhh... the place where nobody wants to be outside in the summer.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 AM

90 posts, read 216,695 times
But you also have to keep in mind that people get paid less in these areas as well for the most part

Old 05-17-2013, 08:02 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viclom View Post
But you also have to keep in mind that people get paid less in these areas as well for the most part
That and the amount of available land to build, plus that it costs more to build because everything is more expensive here..higher sales taxes, higher labor costs, high permit fees, etc ad infinitum.

A 1.5% increase in salary in the same profession doesn't explain a $200K house in Texas costing $600K here.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 AM

199 posts, read 1,106,161 times
Texan cities/suburbs tend to have very low housing costs big time...and they tend to have good economies too

Old 05-17-2013, 09:00 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Suburbs of upstate cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) are very affordable and have very good schools. Property tax rates are high but not if you figure it per square foot.

Check this one out:

5580 Woodsedge Ct, Clarence, NY 14221 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

Very nice suburb of Buffalo, schools are all 9's and 10's. For the price and taxes of Levittown you can have this!

There are many areas up there like this.

Yeah, I know "the weather stinks", but seriously if that isn't a problem for you, it's a great deal up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island