Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:24 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,570 times

Advertisements

I know that Bay Shore has improved greatly (especially in terms of public school performance and revitalization of their downtown).

I know that Port Jefferson was once a dump a long time ago but now is nice with lots of shops and boutiques.

Are there any other areas that have had major improvements?

North Amityville seems to have cooled down a lot too. It used to have a lot of problems but seems very quiet now. I read about new luxury housing developments which is interesting. Maybe somebody who lives there could give more insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:02 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Mangano has renovated a lot of parks and facilities.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:30 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Port Jefferson was a dump????

Old 05-17-2013, 07:19 AM

199 posts, read 1,106,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Port Jefferson was a dump????
That is the case according to my former Economics professor from the area. "Dump" might be too strong of a term to use. It was a depressed area with a lot of stores closing down at one point.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:30 AM

414 posts, read 808,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidance100 View Post
That is the case according to my former Economics professor from the area. "Dump" might be too strong of a term to use. It was a depressed area with a lot of stores closing down at one point.
It is not in the best shape even right now, but the entire area is hopefully going to start turning around.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Patchogue seems to be turning around a bit - the restaurant scene there has gotten downright good (by eastern Suffolk standards, anyway), and the nightlife is somewhat active. I think it's still being dragged down by the high percentage of Section 8 housing in the area, and the school district is below average, but there's been significant improvement over the last decade.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
while Babylon Village was never a "dump", the downtown area looks a LOT better than it did as recently as 20 years ago.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,708 times
Just go to other parts of the country and look at how innovative and creative some urban and suburban areas have become with good restaurants, great entertainment, interesting shops, local transportation, etc. Then look at what passes for "innovative" on Long Island -- Rockville Centre, Huntington, Port Washington, Cold Spring Harbor, Farmingdale, Roslyn, Sea Cliff, Bay Shore, Patchogue, Babylon, Port Jefferson, etc. What we have here is pathetic. Perhaps only East Hampton could compete and even that's nothing great.

I think a lot of creative business people and developers have looked at the high costs here and have simply given up. And those costs are more than monetary. They involve things like our corrupt and inept politicians.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Just go to other parts of the country and look at how innovative and creative some urban and suburban areas have become with good restaurants, great entertainment, interesting shops, local transportation, etc. Then look at what passes for "innovative" on Long Island -- Rockville Centre, Huntington, Port Washington, Cold Spring Harbor, Farmingdale, Roslyn, Sea Cliff, Bay Shore, Patchogue, Babylon, Port Jefferson, etc. What we have here is pathetic. Perhaps only East Hampton could compete and even that's nothing great.

I think a lot of creative business people and developers have looked at the high costs here and have simply given up. And those costs are more than monetary. They involve things like our corrupt and inept politicians.
good job ignoring the OP's question and taking things completely OT.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:16 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
good job ignoring the OP's question and taking things completely OT.
I'm also 80% sure I've seen that exact statement elsewhere from the poster. And I don't mean "exact" like "same meaning" - I mean "exact" like "he cut and pasted from one of his prior posts."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island