Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 01:48 PM

276 posts, read 987,317 times

Advertisements

I would say Herricks for you. 900K, you will do just fine there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 05:35 PM

32 posts, read 142,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Brainwashed sheeple trying to play the big shot. Plus I guess it wouldn't hurt if the school superintendent was a master practitioner of black magic!
Yes black magic would certainly make sense here ! I mean yes Syosset SD is very good but it's not like it's #1 in the country with a guaranteed Ivy league admission. It's pretty much on par with other good SDs like Manhasset, Jericho, Herricks, Great Neck, Garden city etc, give or take a few!

Old 05-19-2013, 03:50 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
I only suggested Syosset over Herricks because you can probably find a home in your price range within walking distance to the station. Of course, that's not the case in Herricks. Yes, you can drive to Mineola or a place like Merillon Avenue. But don't take other peoples' word for it when they say you can go to such-and-such a station and it will be an easy commute. Before you buy a home, you should go to the local station on at least a couple weekdays and see how early the parking lots fill up.

My understanding is that if you don't get to the Syosset station by around 7am, you may not get a parking space. The same may be true for Mineola and it will be a longer drive from Herricks. My friend has been driving for years from Herricks to Merillon Avenue, where he joins other commuters in parking on the street (a practice not very much appreciated by some of the locals). And Manhasset? Don't even ask.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:00 PM

32 posts, read 142,674 times
thanks for the advice longislander2. Yes I realize that commute is a bit of an issue when it comes to Herricks & for me, that's the only sticking point when it comes to buying there. I'm used to the convenience of the city's public transportation since I've lived here all my life, so let's see how it goes. I do plan on taking test rides in all the areas before I put any offers in.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:47 PM

86 posts, read 168,614 times
If you have a budget of 900K and commute is an issue, you could look at Garden City. From a search on zillow.com there are several 4 bedroom houses in your price range within a few blocks distance of the Merillon Road and Nassau Blvd stations. There are many LI neighborhoods where the area right by the train station is not a pleasant location, but the Nassau Blvd location has lovely houses surrounding it and the train noise is surprisingly not too bad there. The train line for the Merillon Ave station is busier but the ride to Penn Station from there is only 35 minutes.

Port Washington is another area in your price range with great schools and a decent commute, but the houses within easy walking distance of the train station are smaller than the ones in Garden city.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lister View Post
If you have a budget of 900K and commute is an issue, you could look at Garden City. From a search on zillow.com there are several 4 bedroom houses in your price range within a few blocks distance of the Merillon Road and Nassau Blvd stations. There are many LI neighborhoods where the area right by the train station is not a pleasant location, but the Nassau Blvd location has lovely houses surrounding it and the train noise is surprisingly not too bad there. The train line for the Merillon Ave station is busier but the ride to Penn Station from there is only 35 minutes.
Yup, Garden City has great station access and good schools. The challenge is finding a $900K home that's not near the Hempstead border or on a busy street.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM

147 posts, read 543,509 times
Granted Herricks/Searingtown/Manhasset Hills don't have their own train station but I went on Google Maps and the distance from the Mineola train station to those neighborhoods is only 2 miles away which is nothing if you are driving to the train station.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:19 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
If Indian supermarkets and restaurants is important to you, Syosset is close to Hicksville which may sway you. They got great markets there

Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
If Indian supermarkets and restaurants is important to you, Syosset is close to Hicksville which may sway you. They got great markets there
They also have several Indian stores and restaurants that are not too far from Herricks along Hillside Avenue in the New Hyde Park/Bellerose area, including a Patel Bros. supermarket.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manhasset hills1 View Post
Granted Herricks/Searingtown/Manhasset Hills don't have their own train station but I went on Google Maps and the distance from the Mineola train station to those neighborhoods is only 2 miles away which is nothing if you are driving to the train station.
It's a loonng two miles during the morning rush, with the traffic and stoplights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island