Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:34 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Sadly it was a horrible oops, but the cop was on the scene and we weren't. What we think we'd do in a similar circumstance is pure guess work on our part until we are actually there. There isn't an easy answer to this.
Well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
The cop should have never entered the house in a armed hostage situation.

He did and the results are a innocent victim killed by him.

/thread.

Why was he the only cop to enter the house?

Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
FOCUS ON YOURSELF and quit whining on an internet forum about what someone else should have done differently during a split second decision that could have gone several different ways. No one is happy the way things turned out.
Why would anyone come on a discussion forum to discuss anything?! An innocent girl gets shot by a police officer during a home invasion a block from Hofstra. That's off limits to discuss?! Like you said "it could have gone several different ways." That's why it's being discussed and the procedures/actions questioned. Of course it's a tragic situation for all involved and no one is happy. For a number of valid reasons and points of concern. Hate to break it to people but these things are happening every day across the country and very few result in an innocent hostage shot in the head by the police. It's not fair to take that into consideration either, I guess?!

Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 AM

538 posts, read 1,007,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
The cop should have never entered the house in a armed hostage situation.

He did and the results are a innocent victim killed by him.

/thread.

Why was he the only cop to enter the house?
As I stated once before...it wasn't until he walked in the door, and the perp grabbed the girl around the neck that it became a true hostage situation. You stated the girl who ran to atm told the 911 operators it was a hostage situation. If that was true...it wasn't relayed via the radio for the first responding officer. I listened to the tape, and nowhere was I able to hear the word "hostages or hostage situation". You're playing monday morning QB for a situation you know nothing about. If he waited...and the perp killed the girl because her friend called 911, you would be on here complaining "why did he wait, is he afraid to enter the house by himself"?? /thread

Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
^^ Wrong yet again. When people are forced to stay in a house by a armed nut job its a hostage situation. Spin it as you like...but we all know he shouldn't have went in and provoked the suspect. Let the hostage negotiators do their job.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC here I come View Post
As I stated once before...it wasn't until he walked in the door, and the perp grabbed the girl around the neck that it became a true hostage situation. You stated the girl who ran to atm told the 911 operators it was a hostage situation. If that was true...it wasn't relayed via the radio for the first responding officer. I listened to the tape, and nowhere was I able to hear the word "hostages or hostage situation". You're playing monday morning QB for a situation you know nothing about. If he waited...and the perp killed the girl because her friend called 911, you would be on here complaining "why did he wait, is he afraid to enter the house by himself"?? /thread
Funny, this contradicts the tape but matches EXACTLY what PBA President Carver had to say yesterday and today. Seems the only "facts" that matter are the ones that support an agenda. I don't mean that in a bad way. The same "facts" show it may or may not have been reported TO THE RESPONDING OFFICER BEFORE HE ENTERED that it was a hostage situation, he DID break protocol AND he was reasonably acting in self defense. All true and yet all contradictory. What a mess.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:50 PM

321 posts, read 595,951 times
Everyone is an expert.

The call was a robbery in progress. Dispatch advises that the subject is in the house.

Police on scene advise that the subject has a gun pointed at hostages heads and request supervisors. They didn't run in guns blazing.

Given the opportunity, I'm sure the officers would have retreated and not risked their lives facing an armed gunman with a hostage, however, once he pointed a gun at the officer in question... what was he to do?

I come to this forum to look for info regarding my community and help anyone that has a question if I'm able to do so. I don't come here to argue with people about what they think someone else should have done in a situation that they've never been in, nor will they.

Back to power washing my deck... you know, a positive use of my time and energy.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Everyone is an expert.

The call was a robbery in progress. Dispatch advises that the subject is in the house.

Police on scene advise that the subject has a gun pointed at hostages heads and request supervisors. They didn't run in guns blazing.

Given the opportunity, I'm sure the officers would have retreated and not risked their lives facing an armed gunman with a hostage, however, once he pointed a gun at the officer in question... what was he to do?

I come to this forum to look for info regarding my community and help anyone that has a question if I'm able to do so. I don't come here to argue with people about what they think someone else should have done in a situation that they've never been in, nor will they.

Back to power washing my deck... you know, a positive use of my time and energy.

First of all, I don't disagree with your take on the subject, but as for your last sentence..it's one thread. Don't read it if you don't like it. I don't have a special needs kid so my mind shuts off everytime someone talks about special ed in schools, but does that mean I should tell other people to stop talking about it? I don't understand the sacred cows around here.....I can understand if the forum is flooded with threads about one subject, but how offensive is it to see a one sentence thread title?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Everyone is an expert.

Wow. Bravo. Congratulations on being so evolved regarding forum contributions. I for one switched to pavers so I have plenty of time to discuss current events.

Your points on the issue are well taken and reasonable, except that you make points and then condescend to anyone else who makes a point....which of course puts you squarely in the mix you think you're above.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:53 PM

140 posts, read 214,446 times
Pipe down everybody gmalo is wednesday afternoon qbing. Reality check.we can discuss whatever we feel like discussing. This situation does affect everyone on the island. I do not feel safe with the inadequate over paid police. I feel for the cop but he chose to protect himself over the girl. That says alot. The biggest Pba talking point is how they will put the life on the line for you. He could of at least took cover instead of shooting wildly. It don't take more than one good shot to drop any size man. We pay gold an get back shiny lookin brass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island