Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 03:35 PM

827 posts, read 3,088,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
Other than satisfying the parents' desire to play host/hostess, why does a one or two year old even need a party? It's not as if they will ever have any memories of it. Is it solely to show a profit if the gifts exceed the cost of the party?
Believe me, I am a person far from loving to play a hostess. My husband can't stand people coming to our house b/c he's a neat freak and gets worried the kids will destroy something and well, I really can't deal with not being able to sit down and enjoy myself with my friends when I have one of these parties a year. I understand what you are saying about a 1 or 2 year old not knowing they are having a party, etc. I can say the first birthday is VERY special to the parents so that is a reason in itself to celebrate and the grandparents (well, my parents) play a huge roll in my sons life b/c my mother has helped me (her choice) when he was newborn to the age he is now. The first birthday, I did invite extended family but the 2nd I don't plan too..however, my husbands family is larger than mine so there are more siblings, etc. I feel, and I know this doesn't rationalize everything..but I feel if I attend everyone elses childs birthday and give a gift, shouldn't my son deserve the same? I mean, he did make more money last year than what I spent so in the end, the cost of the party didn't outweigh what he received in gifts, etc. I just know for years, I've been going to nephews parties and I want my son to have the same. I guess it's like a traditional thing in a way. Then I also feel..if I give all my nephews gifts, why shouldn't my son deserve the same from those families? I know, it sounds selfish but even when I didn't attend my nephews parties this year, I still had to give each of them gifts. They were both being celebrated at the same time. If we hadn't given a gift, we would have been frown upon by my inlaws. Anyhoo, I guess after all this rambling I really have no excuse other than for a woman, like myself who works and doesn't get out much, I look forward to spending a celebration with my son and my family. Believe me, when they are young and you don't leave the house much, you look forward to events that you didn't used to...such as bridal showers, etc. Guess it's a womanly thing! LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 PM

11,596 posts, read 12,630,997 times
Ah, the pampered first born.

Yes, grandparents are going to forget when grandchild number 4,5,6 . . . is turning age 3+. So will the aunts and uncles, especially if they have a crew of their own and especially if the blood tie to the mother is a BIL. After you have child number 2 or 3, see if you can keep track of the birthdays of all your nieces and nephews after a while or even really care.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,237,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
Other than satisfying the parents' desire to play host/hostess, why does a one or two year old even need a party? It's not as if they will ever have any memories of it. Is it solely to show a profit if the gifts exceed the cost of the party?
I think the 1 year old birthday is like a milestone birthday, always bigger, and is frankly more for the parents to remember than the kid. I've gone to a lot more 1 year old parties than 2 year old parties when I'm in the camp of "friend" rather than "family."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island