Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:59 AM

327 posts, read 1,063,248 times

Advertisements

I have been checking out the MLS for houses in Lindenhurst. I noticed there are a bunch of homes a few blocks from the water for less the 300K. Do they have flooding issues?

How is the town? Are there more desirable areas then others? I know that the homes within the Copaigue School District are not that good... but I do not plan on having kids anytime soon. Thanks in advance -Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 12:05 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,110 times
Lindenhurst has flooding issues, near the water and canals. My son's godmother used to rent a beautiful home but the bottom flooded constantly. Otherwise Linden hurst is a nice area as long as the schools are Lindenhurst.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
I have been checking out the MLS for houses in Lindenhurst. How is the town?
For those unfamiliar with Lindenhurst:

Lindenhurst is a village (incorporated in 1923) in the south part of the Town of Babylon, in the southwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Lindenhurst in the Town of Babylon is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst; on the east by the Hamlet of West Babylon; on the south by the Great South Bay; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Copiague and the Hamlet of North Amityville.

The Village of Lindenhurst has a different border than does the "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address and not be in the Village of Lindenhurst and a place can have other than a Lindenhurst mailing address and be in the Village of Lindenhurst): places that have a "Lindenhurst, NY 11757" mailing address that are not in the Village of Lindenhurst are in the Hamlet of North Lindenhurst; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Lindenhurst with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,479 times
Default Always think about the schools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
I have been checking out the MLS for houses in Lindenhurst. I noticed there are a bunch of homes a few blocks from the water for less the 300K. Do they have flooding issues?

How is the town? Are there more desirable areas then others? I know that the homes within the Copaigue School District are not that good... but I do not plan on having kids anytime soon. Thanks in advance -Frank
I do not have an opinion on Lindenhurst schools, but in Long Island (and reading these threads should tell you this), you should ALWAYS think about the schools, because everyone who might buy your house does. Houses hold better value if the district is perceived to be stronger, so even if you do not plan on having kids for years, if ever, just keep in the back of your mind that if you ever need to sell your home the school district is going to factor in a great deal to the selling price of your home. Just my two cents...

And of course always remember, free advice is worth what you pay for it...

Old 01-28-2008, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 8,882 times
Default Lindenhurst Homes

Hi, I can see a few homes around Grove street In Lindenhurst and am wondering if it would be worth looking at? It is One block from a canal.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Default Map showing the borders of the Village of Lindenhurst

Map showing the borders of the Village of Lindenhurst:

Old 01-29-2008, 05:53 PM

23 posts, read 72,795 times
How will we find out if a house have flooding problems or not ... besides asking the owners... Does the town keep a some sort of a record of the events or ....

Old 02-02-2008, 08:53 PM

43 posts, read 100,525 times
I moved from Queens to Lindenhurst 14 years ago. It is a very convenient area. You are ten minutes from two major malls, one hour from the city by train, and very close to some beautiful beaches. The schools are good and if you are looking toward the south part of Lindenhurst, you will be either in Harding Avenue School or Bower School districts which are two very good elementary schools. All elementary schools flood into one Middle School and then to one High School. I personally think the areas north of Montauk Highway are nicer with larger lot sizes and a more country feel. We live north of Montauk Highway (no where near the water) and have flooded three times since we've been here. We know many people who live by the canals and have never flooded. I'm sure if you speak to people in the area, they will tell you if the block your looking at floods or not. People are pretty honest about their flooding stories! Good luck and I don't think you'll go wrong with Lindenhurst. There are many different types of homes here - colonials, high ranches, capes, splits, etc. you'll have no problem finding the right one!

Old 02-03-2008, 12:09 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,655,899 times
I live in Lindenhurst on a canal, and have not flooded once yet. Ask the neighbors. We did and found out that our street had been regraded just a few years past, and it helped the flooding, plus our house has no basement and is raised off the ground. I like Lindenhurst, and the downtown area is a nice little walking/shopping area.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:03 PM

41 posts, read 140,371 times
Default Lindenhurst

Can anyone advise how the area in Lindenhurst around the Train station on E Hoffman avenue is? Are there sewers or cess pools? Opinions on the school system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island