Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:32 PM

208 posts, read 913,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
It seems like this board likes to associate these noise horrors, amongst other things, as only existing in Long Island...it is every suburb. Long Island is not better or worse. I am not a native, but enough about the traffic, the cost of living, the leaf blowers....welcome to suburban america, this is not solely the fault of nassau and suffolk county...well, maybe nassau county
Well then, suburban america needs to get off of their collective rear ends and mow their own lawns and rake their own leaves, among other things. I can't believe we have become so lazy as a country that we accept stuff like this because it is easier to pay someone else to do it, and deal with the consequences, ie noise.

If that is the case, then this country has become quite pathetic.

I hope this isn't a naive question, but honestly, is there not anything we can do to eliminate the noise pollution from these blowers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 09:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
Well then, suburban america needs to get off of their collective rear ends and mow their own lawns and rake their own leaves, among other things. I can't believe we have become so lazy as a country that we accept stuff like this because it is easier to pay someone else to do it, and deal with the consequences, ie noise.

I hope this isn't a naive question, but honestly, is there not anything we can do to eliminate the noise pollution from these blowers?
I find it rather pathetic that people will pay for memberships to expensive gyms to work out when they could be getting a decent workout from maintaining their own yards.

So they pay Muscle's Gym a fee, and Jeffe's Lawn Service to do the lawn they can't maintain because they're at the gym and haven't the time.

DUH!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:26 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
It seems like this board likes to associate these noise horrors, amongst other things, as only existing in Long Island...it is every suburb. Long Island is not better or worse. I am not a native, but enough about the traffic, the cost of living, the leaf blowers....welcome to suburban america, this is not solely the fault of nassau and suffolk county...well, maybe nassau county

Spoken with reason. I agree!

I don't have an issue with leaf blowers when used quickly and to gather up a large mass of leaves in many locations.

But when someone has to get every speck of dirt round up into a pile, and uses their leaf blower for like an hour or so, that is what I find insanely annoying.

But for quick gatherings of leaves, no way. To me they stir up not much more than any gusty windy day could.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Default I don't disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post

I do not disagree with the concept of this being a lazy america. But again, it's not just a Long Island phenomenon.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:02 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
In my pedestrian rambles around Long Island, I have had to cross the street to avoid someone using one of these dreadful things a few times.

If the idea is to clean up, I can't imagine why anyone would use one of these gadgets, as they merely blow the dirt around.
Well FWIW...I used a rake two years ago to get my leaves up. I have two acres. Probably an acre and a quarter is lawn with tons of giant old growth trees over the lawns. If you had any idea what that was to rake up...OMG. I swear I spent a week full time doing it and my back was nearly broken by the time I was done so I don't wanna hear about exercise from raking. Its back breaking work.
FINALLY I sprung for a leaf catcher for my lawn tractor. I couldn't bring myself to spend $400 for what looked like $50 in materials but let me tell you...WOWWWWWWWW. Amazing!!! Incredable!! Just basically took em' up like a vacuum. All I had to do was empty the bags into the woods every ten minutes...big deal. Used the rake to pull the leaves onto the lawn to vacuum them up. Used the blower probably fifteen minutes tops to clean it all up.

PS...in this day and age its hard to believe they don;t make a good muffler to cut the sound on leaf blowers.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
PS...in this day and age its hard to believe they don;t make a good muffler to cut the sound on leaf blowers.
I have a muffler on my CVAC -- just think of the money someone could make on a leaf blower muffler!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I have a muffler on my CVAC -- just think of the money someone could make on a leaf blower muffler!
Yeh..I thought the same thing but there must be a reason no ones
done it yet

Old 11-06-2007, 04:06 AM

64 posts, read 237,949 times
Last week I had a terrible nightmare. It was something about our country being invaded by bombers and everyone was running in the streets trying to get to a shelter. There were air raid sirens going off everywere and people were just trying to find their loved ones and escape. It kind of reminded me of the old days when we were taught to run to fall-out shelters in case the russians invaded. I remember running through my neighborhood looking for my family but I couldn't find them, and all I could hear was the constant air raid horn. I woke up in a pool of sweat at eight o'clock in the morning only to hear the idiot across the street with his damn leaf blower going full blast.

Sunday afternoon I had the windows closed and was watching a movie I had rented the night before. The neighborhood was peaceful and the house was quiet, just the way I like it. All of a sudden this same guy starts up with the blasted leaf blower again. Mind you he has a postage stamp front lawn that is the smallest on the block. The sound drowned out the television it was so loud. I decided to turn off the TV until he finished so I could watch the movie in peace. Ten, twenty, thirty minutes later he's still at it. I looked out the window to see what the hell was going on, and here's this moron with the leaf blower trying to get every speck of dirt into one pile, only to blow them into pails laying on their side. No bags, no rake, all blower.

In my neighborhood it's always something. Lawn mowers, leaf blowers, weed wackers, snow throwers, power washers, nail guns, circular saws, chain saws, tile saws, you name it. It's like an industrial park full of do-it-your-selfers and weekend warriors.

But the most offensive, selfish and inconsiderate noise makers in my neighborhood are the simpletons with their ridiculous passion for fireworks that starts two weeks before fourth of July and continues for two weeks after it's over. Morning, noon and night these people feel it is their right to create noise pollution, air pollution, terrorize the animals in the neighborhood, dirty the streets, and break the law, all for their own selfish, immature pleasure. My poor dog looks for safety in every corner of the house but is inconsolable for weeks during this annual ritual. She comes to me literally trembling in fear (maybe pain?), but I feel powerless to put a stop to the insanity. Other neighbors have expressed the same despair over this problem which the police don't seem willing or able to deal with.

Surely there must be something that can be done to stop these assaults on our senses. We talk about other quality of life issues like traffic, long lines, rudeness, road rage, etc., but this is something we can't even escape from in our own homes. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm sure we'd all like to hear them.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2DFW View Post
Last week I had a terrible nightmare. It was something about our country being invaded by bombers and everyone was running in the streets trying to get to a shelter. There were air raid sirens going off everywere and people were just trying to find their loved ones and escape. It kind of reminded me of the old days when we were taught to run to fall-out shelters in case the russians invaded. I remember running through my neighborhood looking for my family but I couldn't find them, and all I could hear was the constant air raid horn. I woke up in a pool of sweat at eight o'clock in the morning only to hear the idiot across the street with his damn leaf blower going full blast.

Sunday afternoon I had the windows closed and was watching a movie I had rented the night before. The neighborhood was peaceful and the house was quiet, just the way I like it. All of a sudden this same guy starts up with the blasted leaf blower again. Mind you he has a postage stamp front lawn that is the smallest on the block. The sound drowned out the television it was so loud. I decided to turn off the TV until he finished so I could watch the movie in peace. Ten, twenty, thirty minutes later he's still at it. I looked out the window to see what the hell was going on, and here's this moron with the leaf blower trying to get every speck of dirt into one pile, only to blow them into pails laying on their side. No bags, no rake, all blower.

In my neighborhood it's always something. Lawn mowers, leaf blowers, weed wackers, snow throwers, power washers, nail guns, circular saws, chain saws, tile saws, you name it. It's like an industrial park full of do-it-your-selfers and weekend warriors.

But the most offensive, selfish and inconsiderate noise makers in my neighborhood are the simpletons with their ridiculous passion for fireworks that starts two weeks before fourth of July and continues for two weeks after it's over. Morning, noon and night these people feel it is their right to create noise pollution, air pollution, terrorize the animals in the neighborhood, dirty the streets, and break the law, all for their own selfish, immature pleasure. My poor dog looks for safety in every corner of the house but is inconsolable for weeks during this annual ritual. She comes to me literally trembling in fear (maybe pain?), but I feel powerless to put a stop to the insanity. Other neighbors have expressed the same despair over this problem which the police don't seem willing or able to deal with.

Surely there must be something that can be done to stop these assaults on our senses. We talk about other quality of life issues like traffic, long lines, rudeness, road rage, etc., but this is something we can't even escape from in our own homes. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm sure we'd all like to hear them.

Move to North Carolina

Old 11-06-2007, 06:31 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Man...what a bunch of whiners.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island