Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 08:21 AM

22 posts, read 80,978 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit confused about something, that I hope someone more knowlledgeble than me can help me with. I've been looking to purchase a house in Lynbrook and looking through various sites (zillow, century21, trulia, etc) I notice that they state this school or that school is in your school district. Sometimes they would have more than one elementary school assigned to that house listing. Is there a way to plug in your adddress and know for sure that you are assigned to this particular school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
mlsli.com should have the proper school district listed but of course it's up to the listing agent to be accurate. You should be using that site to look for LI properties anyway.

I'm not sure there's a way to tell which elementary schools you're zoned for within a particular town though. I had to ask my buyer agent when it came down to it. Never asked what her resource was. I seem to recall there was an interactive map posted here but not sure how accurate that really is.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Don't trust Zillow when it comes to schools. They just list the ones closest to the house, even if it's not in the school district. When I lived in Garden City, it listed Carey H.S. as ours because we lived closer to that than GCHS.

Go to the school district website and see what schools are listed. Then call the schools directly if you want to break it down further.

Garden City lists the zoning on their school calendar which can be found on their website.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,228,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Don't trust Zillow when it comes to schools. They just list the ones closest to the house, even if it's not in the school district. When I lived in Garden City, it listed Carey H.S. as ours because we lived closer to that than GCHS.

Go to the school district website and see what schools are listed. Then call the schools directly if you want to break it down further.

Garden City lists the zoning on their school calendar which can be found on their website.

^This. MSLI also lists the school district but MSLI may not be accurate when it lists the actual schools. There are 3 elementary schools in our school district. I had to call them to find out which one we were zoned for because MSLI listed a different school, which was actually the main office for all 3 elementary schools. Twingles is right--go to the school district website to see which schools are in their district. To find out which school you're actually zoned for, it's best to call the schools themselves or the district directly.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:15 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,553,503 times
how can the Zillow algorithm be reliable if its doing comps on houses not in the same School District when School Districts have a huge effect on home prices in the Northeast?

Sounds like its pretty much useless as any guess a guy on the street would make

Old 05-29-2013, 12:33 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,228,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
how can the Zillow algorithm be reliable if its doing comps on houses not in the same School District when School Districts have a huge effect on home prices in the Northeast?

Sounds like its pretty much useless as any guess a guy on the street would make
I just ran my address and this is what comes up in Zillow. It's listing schools closest to my house that aren't even in the school district. One of the 3 elementary schools in our district isn't listed because it's farthest away from me. This is what Zillow listed at the time when I purchased my house.

Nearby Schools in Franklin Square

Data and ratings provided by GreatSchools.org ?

Close GreatSchools ratings give an overview of a school's test results. The ratings are based on a comparison of test results for all schools in the state.More schools in Franklin Square

Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM

570 posts, read 1,214,559 times
You really need to call the central office of the school district that you think the house you want might be in. Districts do change attendance zones within their boundaries from time to time due to school closings, population increase or decrease etc.

We've had realtors tell buyers the wrong elementary school was assigned to the house they bought and boy people do get mad - especially when they think they bought in the "better" area, only to find the district buses kids across town!

Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM

50 posts, read 87,513 times
Try checking addresses at www.mynassauproperty.com. I believe that Nassau County would have the correct school district listed for tax purposes.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymacca View Post
Try checking addresses at www.mynassauproperty.com. I believe that Nassau County would have the correct school district listed for tax purposes.
While the Nassau County site will show you the correct school district, it doesn't give you details about which of the possible multiple elementary, middle and high schools apply to a particular address.

The most accurate information can be obtained from the transportation department of a given school district

Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
mlsli.com should have the proper school district listed but of course it's up to the listing agent to be accurate. You should be using that site to look for LI properties anyway.

I'm not sure there's a way to tell which elementary schools you're zoned for within a particular town though. I had to ask my buyer agent when it came down to it. Never asked what her resource was. I seem to recall there was an interactive map posted here but not sure how accurate that really is.
Greatschools.org has a boundary/zoned school map that is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island