Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times

Advertisements

There isn't much left of America's first superhighway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 02:42 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Parts of it, a long time ago.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:29 PM

513 posts, read 837,597 times
As kids we used to hike, starting in the LILCO right of way that was originally the Central Railroad of Long Island, a few hundred yards south of the East Village Green in Levittown. There was a big concrete slab that was probably a station of some sort. For years, we would regularly find track spikes along the way. Heading east, on the left as soon as we crossed Wantagh Avenue (well before the Eighth Precinct was built), were straw bales we used for archery practice. There were a few of them, regularly spaced and about halfway up a pretty big slope. I think I remember crude railings that were meant to shoot from behind. On the right was the huge sump, that's still there.

I believe after we crossed Hicksville Road is when we would first see the old paving that was what we called Old Motor Parkway. Very deteriorated with "woods" on either side. After crossing Stewart Avenue, we would sometimes build a fire to toast our bologna sandwiches, washing them down with warm, metallic tasting canteen water. I remember an original concrete bridge that went over the LIMP that we would climb up on. It might have been before or after Dead Man's Curve, where Central Av in Bethpage went over the not yet built 135.

At that point, we would usually follow the parkway into Bethpage State Park a little ways before returning, but occasionally we would go to the right to follow the LIRR tracks over Bethpage State Parkway towards Farmingdale. There was, maybe still is, a structure that I guess was some sort of signal building. We would usually stop before that and hang out by the side of the tracks. A few times we would put a penny on the track to be flattened by a train, fortunately never derailing one.

Might have been a total of five miles, there and back plus some little side excursions, but they were great adventures for us, and for me at least, some very fond memories.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:07 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times

Vanderbilt Cup Race Courses: Then and Now - YouTube

Dosin't shock me long island sucks at preservation

Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,486 times
I recently found an old 1924 map at a yard sale that shows the historic location of the entire parkway. Pretty interesting as it shows how all the remnants that still exist today were once connected.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:14 AM

214 posts, read 459,258 times
Would love to see a pic of this map...

Old 11-17-2015, 10:23 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
I recently found an old 1924 map at a yard sale that shows the historic location of the entire parkway. Pretty interesting as it shows how all the remnants that still exist today were once connected.
vanderbilt museum would probably be interested in that if they don't have that specific one already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island