Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

The whole state of Ohio has more colleges than the Boston area.

We have Kenyon, Ohio State, Oberlin, Antioch, Ohio Wesleyan, Case Western Reserve, Ohio University, Kent State, University of Dayton, University of Cincinnati, Witenburg University, Ohio Christian University, Walsh University, Bowling Green University and more.

And most of these still have relatively affordable tuition rates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 07:38 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
Mostly personal reasons. Plus miss NYC. Weather..love having 4 seasons instead of summer heat all year. Then after moved to SC realized really did not like area at all for a certain personal reason.

That being said we are looking into moving back to Fl. But further north than we were before.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Mostly personal reasons. Plus miss NYC. Weather..love having 4 seasons instead of summer heat all year. Then after moved to SC realized really did not like area at all for a certain personal reason.

That being said we are looking into moving back to Fl. But further north than we were before.
Okay, cool! Good luck on the move

Old 06-15-2013, 08:00 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I am not panting to pay 20K taxes. Been there done that.

The whole state of Ohio has more colleges than the Boston area.

We have Kenyon, Ohio State, Oberlin, Antioch, Ohio Wesleyan, Case Western Reserve, Ohio University, Kent State, University of Dayton, University of Cincinnati, Witenburg University, Ohio Christian University, Walsh University, Bowling Green University and more.

Our quality of life is better. Less expensive. Better communities and schools. People who welcome people from NY.
I seriously doubt that Ohio has more colleges than there are in the metro Boston area.

You do have some really good schools: Kenyon (my nephew just graduated from Kenyon), Oberlin (wonderful arts school), Case Western Reserve, Kent State...but really, I would not say that most are comparable with Harvard, MIT, Tufts, Tufts Veterinary (one of the best in the nation - although You do have Ohio State Vet School which is top notch) Northeastern U., Boston College, Boston University, Brandeis, University of Massachusetts, the medical schools ofHarvard, Tufts, BU and U. Mass The New England Conservatory of Music, the Colleges of the Fenway, Emerson College, Bentley U, Babson U., Regis College, The Boston Conservatory of Music, Berkelee College of Music (top jazz school in the U.S.), Lesley University, and so on....many more colleges that really stand out - and does Ohio have the medical standouts that Boston has? I mean, really, the best center for medical research on earth, arguably, is in Boston! Not to mention the great Museum of Fine Arts, Fogg Art Museum, Gardener Museum, etc.

I don't think you can compare Ohio to Boston in these things.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
and does Ohio have the medical standouts that Boston has?

The Cleveland Clinic.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I seriously doubt that Ohio has more colleges than there are in the metro Boston area.

The Cleveland area alone has 24 colleges.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:13 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
You do have some really good schools: Kenyon (my nephew just graduated from Kenyon), Oberlin (wonderful arts school), Case Western Reserve, Kent State...but really, I would not say that most are comparable with Harvard, MIT, Tufts, Tufts Veterinary (one of the best in the nation - although You do have Ohio State Vet School which is top notch) Northeastern U., Boston College, Boston University, Brandeis, University of Massachusetts, the medical schools ofHarvard, Tufts, BU and U. Mass The New England Conservatory of Music, the Colleges of the Fenway, Emerson College, Bentley U, Babson U., Regis College, The Boston Conservatory of Music, Berkelee College of Music (top jazz school in the U.S.), Lesley University, and so on....many more colleges that really stand out - and does Ohio have the medical standouts that Boston has? I mean, really, the best center for medical research on earth, arguably, is in Boston! Not to mention the great Museum of Fine Arts, Fogg Art Museum, Gardener Museum, etc.
He was just talking about sheer number, which may be correct. Not stature/ranking.

Of course, Boston universities have a much higher reputation. But that is partly why Boston has a higher COL than his section of Ohio.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:14 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I just checked another site and they have average November high temps in Suffolk at Macaurther at 44, so it's significantly colder here than in the city. I stand corrected. If you live along the south shore it's probably even colder than that. North Shore tends to be warmer.
Think you should check again, could you have look at average temp (taking into consideration the low and high). Even that seems low> Just looked it up and the avg high ranges fom 58 on Nov 1st to 48 on Nov 30th.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:59 PM

312 posts, read 516,051 times
I think most of the New Yorkers are going to South Carolina. :-) Actually, I may be ran over as I move to Long Island next month. My house was in Mt. Pleasant, and I loved the neighborhood.... soooooo quiet, crabbing dock, warm weather etc., but I am making a career move. I will say that the majority of the homes on my street were owned by former New Yorkers, and the one across the street came from New Jersey.

To kill time between the closing date on my Mt. Pleasant house and the one I am buying on L. I. I am hanging out in Richmond, VA for a month. It was much less expensive than L.I. or Mt. Pleasant.. or any other major city in between.........................

It is a little scary how I seem to be the only one going in that (SC to NY) direction.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
LMAO!! The moons must have aligned.

All kidding aside its actually refreshing to have a intelligent & civil conversation without all the b.s. for once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Judging from his posts on this thread, looks like you and dman have been having some trysts lately, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island