Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 05:37 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,710,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But things can be done to remedy the situation without getting up and leaving. Buy a smaller house, dont run your AC 24/7, dont buy a new car every 5 years. The problem is that people arent willing to do that, think somewhere else is a paradise and then move and realise it wasnt what they expected.

If you dont like it here, work to fix it. Dont just give up on it. Grass isnt always greener.
First, you made a sweeping generalization that people who move from Long Island aren't happy where they move to. Most of the people I know who left didn't live lavish lifestyles here, like you seem to suggest.

Regarding your last statement, you're saying that since YOU love Long Island so much, we shouldn't leave if we don't? That's ludicrous. At the same time you also say not to complain-- so we should just shut up and stay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,271,433 times
No we should work together to fix the problems not walk away from them.

Just as I may have generalised that people move to new places and dont like it, how do you know that they do? And just bc people dont move back to LI doesnt mean they necessarily like where they are either, it just means they dont have the means, funds, motivation whatever it is to move back.

Long Island isnt perfect but it sure beats a lot of places in the country. I for one love the diversity here. The south seems to be where everyone is going and it's not so diverse. Some ppl maybe this doesnt matter to but I like the fact that my neighbors are from all religions, nationalities and races. I also like that I live in an area that is very gay friendly.

This is why I say grass isnt greener. Maybe you dont have any gay friends but I have a ton and it's nice that they can live in a place where they are accepted.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,184,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasqo View Post
As a 30+ married father of 1, we're going to Charleston, SC hopefully the end of the year... We're done with NY. My neighborhood continues to get worse while my taxes continue to go up. My son's 1 year old, figure this is a good time to go to prevent any assimilation issues he may have had.
How are you going to feel when your child has a totally different accent and way of speaking than you and your wife and takes on the values of his friends and community instead of yours ... in sum, he's a "southerner" and you and your wife are not? How will it feel to have a culturally fractured family?

Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How are you going to feel when your child has a totally different accent and way of speaking than you and your wife and takes on the values of his friends and community instead of yours ... in sum, he's a "southerner" and you and your wife are not? How will it feel to have a culturally fractured family?
This. And that he may go to school with many many white people and not many asians or muslims or spanish. I dunno, I it's important to teach your kids at young age to be tolerant. If the majority of people are white, it will be very hard later on in life when he does encounter a muslim or someone else not considered "caucasian". Thats why crap like the KKK existed in the south and not the north. I am also not saying everyonr in the south is like that- but lets not kid ourselves- most people here are very excepting of others who are not the majority cookie-cutter white person.

I am proud to have had the chance to go to school with Indians, Spanish, Asians, Muslims, Jews, gays etc. It is something every young child should experience and one of the many reasons I would not move to the south.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM

245 posts, read 493,913 times
Quote:
You could use less electricity. You could have bought a cheaper house. You are the reason you cant afford it here.
Really I bought my house and oil was .89c a gallon and now it's $3.89 a gallon if I'm lucky and lets not forget the price of gas. No gas on the block so don't tell me to convert. 15 years ago I was paying a quater of the price for my electric and that was on a bigger house. Oh and my taxes have gone up $ 5000 in fourteen years. So yes I'm the problem. BTW I haven't put my a/c's in yet trying to keep that LIPA bill under control.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
Really I bought my house and oil was .89c a gallon and now it's $3.89 a gallon if I'm lucky and lets not forget the price of gas. No gas on the block so don't tell me to convert. 15 years ago I was paying a quater of the price for my electric and that was on a bigger house. Oh and my taxes have gone up $ 5000 in fourteen years. So yes I'm the problem. BTW I haven't put my a/c's in yet trying to keep that LIPA bill under control.
I owned a home just last year. Nothing on our house was out of control b/c we lived very modestly. It's not easy to live here, but there are things people can do instead of complain and leave.

Furthermore, LI isn't the only place to experience a rise in costs. It's called inflation and it happens everywhere.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:25 PM

160 posts, read 288,391 times
Quote:
This. And that he may go to school with many many white people and not many asians or muslims or spanish. I dunno, I it's important to teach your kids at young age to be tolerant. If the majority of people are white, it will be very hard later on in life when he does encounter a muslim or someone else not considered "caucasian". Thats why crap like the KKK existed in the south and not the north. I am also not saying everyonr in the south is like that- but lets not kid ourselves- most people here are very excepting of others who are not the majority cookie-cutter white person.

I am proud to have had the chance to go to school with Indians, Spanish, Asians, Muslims, Jews, gays etc. It is something every young child should experience and one of the many reasons I would not move to the south.
So if I'm reading your response to I Love LI (and your last paragraph above) you are proud to have had the opportunity to interact with other religious groups, nationalities, etc, but the "southern" way of life is unacceptable?

I also enjoyed my upbringing in NY, and the ability to experience multiple cultures. I have now lived in the epicenter of the civil rights movement (Birmingham) for the past 19 years, and I can assure you that the south you reference is LONG gone in many regions, at least in the bigger metropolitan areas. Believe it or not, we also have Indians, Spanish, Asians, Muslims, Jews and gays down here...hell, we even have some Italians . I know this may be hard to believe, but "race relations" are much better here than I remember on LI (at least in my neck of the woods down here).

The south isn't really like all the redneck shows you see on tv...

Old 06-21-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
So if I'm reading your response to I Love LI (and your last paragraph above) you are proud to have had the opportunity to interact with other religious groups, nationalities, etc, but the "southern" way of life is unacceptable?

I also enjoyed my upbringing in NY, and the ability to experience multiple cultures. I have now lived in the epicenter of the civil rights movement (Birmingham) for the past 19 years, and I can assure you that the south you reference is LONG gone in many regions, at least in the bigger metropolitan areas. Believe it or not, we also have Indians, Spanish, Asians, Muslims, Jews and gays down here...hell, we even have some Italians . I know this may be hard to believe, but "race relations" are much better here than I remember on LI (at least in my neck of the woods down here).

The south isn't really like all the redneck shows you see on tv...
Depends where you go. I went to grad school in NC for 3 years and it wasn't like what you described at all. The campus was diverse, but outside the campus was a lot of catholic whites, who didn't want much to do with a dark-skinned jewish girl from LI (I'm Sephardic). It wasn't that long ago- I am not that old.

The southern lifestyle isn't "unacceptable" (where did I say it was?)- it just is not for me.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:37 PM

245 posts, read 493,913 times
We stay for the kids education. My youngest will be done in four years and then we see where college will take them or us. My cars are 10 and 14 years old not getting a new one until one breaks or the kids take one over and that was something we planned for. We have been in our house for 14 years and will have it paid off in a few years and that is because we don't drive new cars or have nice vacations. My mother in law is 74 and still works full time to be able to pay her bills on LI and she has star taxes, I don't want that to be my life working or my husband working to live I would like to enjoy my later years. Will not being leaving with NY pension only SS so no way could we living here with only that and some savings.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 PM

160 posts, read 288,391 times
Quote:
Depends where you go. I went to grad school in NC for 3 years and it wasn't like what you described at all. The campus was diverse, but outside the campus was a lot of catholic whites, who didn't want much to do with a dark-skinned jewish girl from LI (I'm Sephardic). It wasn't that long ago- I am not that old.

The southern lifestyle isn't "unacceptable" (where did I say it was?)- it just is not for me.
I agree with you there, it does depend on where you go I suppose. It just amazes me how many "Northerners" are still clinging to decades old stereotypes of the south, without ever stepping foot past the Mason-Dixon Line, unless it was for a 15 minute restroom break on their road trip to Florida.

I do have to say, that I heard/saw much more evidence of racism on LI growing up than I have down here.

You are correct, you did not say it was unacceptable, but your response seemed to imply that was your line of thinking...my bad! . I do think you would be pleasantly surprised by some areas you haven't been to.

I left LI for Birmingham when I was 25 to start my career, with the intention of returning after 2-3 years. I met a southern girl, got married, and felt like I was "stuck" here, especially after starting a family. I desperately wanted to return for years, and actually had a lot of resentment about my situation here. But when I finally realized that I was being more nostalgic that realistic, and we could not enjoy the same "luxuries" up there due to the cost of living, I realized I have a pretty damn good life here!

I don't blame anyone for feeling like LI doesn't work for them and they feel the need to leave, nor do I blame LI'ers who staunchly defend their home. But I will say that many NY'ers (and posters here) act like anyone who posts they are living a good life elsewhere are fooling themselves. Happiness CAN be found elsewhere , it just may not be everyone's cup of tea, just like LI may not be for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island