Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2013, 05:35 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,984 times

Advertisements

The thing is that pissed off LIers should look in Rock land. It is cheaper, and has bigger lots, and still pretty good schools, plus it is beautiful up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 07:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
The thing is that pissed off LIers should look in Rock land. It is cheaper, and has bigger lots, and still pretty good schools, plus it is beautiful up there.
What time warp are you in? First it's Rockland, one word. Cheaper is a fallacy the homes are just as expensive and the lots are about the same as most of the burbs. Tax rates are extremly high, the commute is lengthy and not all the schools are worth what you pay in taxes. I will agree it is nice up there.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What time warp are you in? First it's Rockland, one word. Cheaper is a fallacy the homes are just as expensive and the lots are about the same as most of the burbs. Tax rates are extremly high, the commute is lengthy and not all the schools are worth what you pay in taxes. I will agree it is nice up there.
1-Yeah I know it is Rockland, but it typed it on android, and it screwed it up.
2-I meant housing prices, like Suffern.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't know what the pipeline to NC from NY is that somehow bypassed Virginia. I guess the Universities there (VCU) aren't considered as highly as Duke or UNC Chapel Hill, so maybe that's part of it. The nice parts of Richmond provides some good "city" things (the slums are bad, and they are somewhat plentiful but can be avoided), and the suburbs are nice.
Charlottesville is supposed to beautiful, but is also home to one of the best universities (Public, or Private):
University of Virginia. I don't know about Richmond though.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:01 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
We found happiness in Ohio, following three years in PA following our move from LI.

PA, while close to LI, was culturally different. The "natives" did not like NYers, much less embrace them.

Ohio is a dream! Beautiful and friendly with good schools, shopping and dining. Wonderful North Coast beaches on lake Erie, that rival the Long Island Sound. The Lake is vast and beautiful.
I have far less problems integrating into the culture here than I would have had we moved south.

COL is amazingly low. A house on LI that would be 400K would be 125 here. A 700K house? Try 300K.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:21 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulliganx View Post
Here is a question for everyone that is moving etc. How the hell do you find it so easy to move from one state to another?

I am talking to those that have a family, full time job etc. It is not easy to pack up sell the house get the job and leave all in one fell swoop. IF you do find it that easy PLEASE enlighten me with details as I would love to take notes from you.

We would like to move to Raleigh, NC area but I rare;y received any calls for jobs since I am out of state and then the ones I do get are lower tiered jobs that want me to fly down for 1 interview. Won't even do a skype etc for a 1st round.

I post for a job in NY/LI I get all the suitable leveled positions I qualify for. What I am trying to say is that it is very difficult to move into these places.

I am considering buying a house here now, live a few years and buy a second (small) home in North Carolina. That way I can use that as my address and stay there for a week or so for interviews and have a house ready to move into, and in the meantime use it as a little summer/vacation home.

But besides my little story, please answer my original question..

How the hell do you find it so easy to move from one state to another?

You take your family with you. Your husband, wife or significant other and your children. Then you move. Those are your family.

Only on Long Island do people think of relatives - parents, brothers, sisters and grandparents - as family.

You say goodbye and then you move.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 PM

475 posts, read 852,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Charlottesville is supposed to beautiful, but is also home to one of the best universities (Public, or Private):
University of Virginia. I don't know about Richmond though.
I live in Orange just outside C'ville, it is a very nice town home to University of Virginia, Thomas Jefferson's Monticello, and some of the most beautiful scenery you will ever take in. The Cavaliers aren't good at football but basketball and baseball UVA does very well. I went to see Pearl Jam at JPJ Oct. 29th so the University offers more then just sports. John Paul Jones Arena does Disney on Ice, concerts of most music genres, rock and roll, country, most popular music I suppose. JPJ is where the Cavaliers also play their basketball.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:48 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Oyay otherbray, opstay alkingtay upway Irginiavay, eway on'tday
eednay anyway oremay arpetcay aggersbay ownday erehay.

Long Islanders and liberals. Virginia is a horrible place with no culture. The schools are all bad. It's not friendly to others. The stores and restaurants are horrible. There's nothing to do here. Just keep driving further south, don't even stop to get gas or stretch your legs (the rest stops are mere outhouses).
This is a public service announcement sponsored by Yankees for a Yankee Free Virginia.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

Long Islanders and liberals. Virginia is a horrible place with no culture. The schools are all bad. It's not friendly to others. The stores and restaurants are horrible. There's nothing to do here. Just keep driving further south, don't even stop to get gas or stretch your legs (the rest stops are mere outhouses).
This is a public service announcement sponsored by Yankees for a Yankee Free Virginia.
3/10. You didn't even fool anybody and where is the fun in that? To be honest is I were to move out of Florida, but South of Deleware, I'd move to NoVa, but Chantilly west.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:15 PM

475 posts, read 852,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

Can I join the Yankee Free Virginia movement? Seriously though a lot of people do go right past Virginia and straight to the Carolinas or Florida. I can see the RTP being a big draw for techies but I never understood, unless retired, what us former New Yorkers ever saw in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island