Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:06 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times

Advertisements

Also in America in general - people more frequently move to improve their cirumstances. Whether these are HS graduates going to college, college grads starting their first jobs, professionals climbing the career ladder or retirees cutting down on costs. Moving is part of the larger American fabric because environments change frequently and more profoundly than in other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 12:10 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Also in America in general - people more frequently move to improve their cirumstances. Whether these are HS graduates going to college, college grads starting their first jobs, professionals climbing the career ladder or retirees cutting down on costs. Moving is part of the larger American fabric because environments change frequently and more profoundly than in other countries.

Very good point. Most people in Europe wouldn't think of moving to a new faceless cookie cutter development every 10 years, where as here it seems to be the thing to do.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:39 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You're talking about San Fran? I don't like the heat or the extreme cold...my favorite month on LI is October, so to me, SF weather is ideal. When other people are complaining about it being chilly, I'm loving it....40-75 and I'm good, especially if the sun is out.
No, I was referring to NY. October/November to April/May can contain some dreary weather in NY some years in my opinion.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
No, I was referring to NY. October/November to April/May can contain some dreary weather in NY some years in my opinion.
So can July, I remember one year, 2006 or so, it rained for 2 weeks straight.

In general, most of October through early November it is sunny on Long Island. April seems to have been terrible the last few years, just an extension of March.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:04 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Im hoping that Im raising my kids to be opened minded enough to look outside NY for a college education. Then hoping that they want to stay where they are when they graduate. Wishful thinking I know, but ya never know. Every year that passes the more and more I hate being cooped up in my house 5 months out of the year.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Im hoping that Im raising my kids to be opened minded enough to look outside NY for a college education. Then hoping that they want to stay where they are when they graduate. Wishful thinking I know, but ya never know. Every year that passes the more and more I hate being cooped up in my house 5 months out of the year.
I though you live on long island, not Burlington VT.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:37 PM

LOL. Im the biggest wussy when it comes to the cold anymore. Never did ski so yah...from November to April Im stuck inside. Sad.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
LOL. Im the biggest wussy when it comes to the cold anymore. Never did ski so yah...from November to April Im stuck inside. Sad.
Ski? The average high temperature in NYC for the month of November is 52 degrees. Slightly lower here on the island, but still. You can't swim, but you can at least go out for a walk.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Nov. average is like 42....then factor in the wind chill off the water and it feels like 30. Wind cuts right thru you on the south shore. Sorry I have no blood flow. lol.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
NoVA is not cheap, and the traffic sucks. Totally different.

Richmond is basically beyond commuting distance from DC (although I'm sure some crazy people do it), and is much cheaper.

Food is basically like LI, just substitute more barbecue and comfort food type places for red sauce Italian and Pizza joints on every corner. Same chains, the "hip" parts of Richmond have all the ethnic foods. The places that are pleasant surprise are the "diners/drive ins and dives" type local places, with scratch made food, especially in college areas down south. On LI, garbagey Greek diners are the norm, using frozen/jarred old ingredients..including the Greek food. Frozen Gyro meat?

LI food is wildly overrated....it's not NYC.

I've got 10 diners within 20 minutes of where I live, and ONE of them can make a decent breakfast.

Virginia Beach isn't too far but traffic is miserable from what I've heard. I can't imagine driving 2 hours to go to the beach when it's been 30 minutes or less my whole life.

You can buy a 2500 sq foot house with a half acre with good schools for $300K in Chesterfield County.
Your last sentence can be done in Upstate NY easily for much less and maybe more land.

It is interesting how many people overlook areas that could work and they go to the same places(Raleigh, Charleston, Greenville, etc.). You could even say that people move to the same exact communities(Cary, Mount Pleasant, Summerville, Wake Forest, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island