Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:48 AM

15 posts, read 59,541 times

Advertisements

I've visited NYC and Long Island before and I think both of them are amazing places. I'm an anesthesiologist and I currently live in Dallas, TX, but I've decided that I want to move somewhere in the East Coast. The Hamptons sound like a nice place to live in but I've heard that most of the people there are millionaires and live in mansions. Is it everybody or is it most of the people? Could a 30 y.o. single guy who makes a little bit over $200k a year afford a nice house there? Can anybody tell me about real estate in the Hamptons? (East Hampton, Southampton, Hampton Bays... I know there're a few towns). How about the people there? Is it easy to socialize? Would I have the chance to meet the love of my life there or are people less outgoing and more private than they'd be somewhere else? Thank y'all!

Also, how much does the average anesthesiologist make in the Long Island area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 07:34 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
The Hamptons is made up mostly of the super wealthy who summer there, the poor and lower middle class who work all the service jobs, and a few year rounders. It's a completely different place in the summer comapared to the rest of the year, and probably not a great year round one for a 30 year old looking to make a lot of friends or romantic connections. There are a lot crappy looking areas that will surpise those who think that the Hamptons is all glitzy and nice. There's no ghetto, but still. The people who clean the houses and work at the restaurants have to live somewhere.

You will probalby make a little more than you make now here in your field, maybe as much as $300K, but it may not offset the cost of living increase..your money will not go nearly as far here, although you will stil lead a comfortable life. In Texas, you are rich on that salary...on LI, you're upper middle class. I have a neighbor who is an anesthesiologist at Stony Brook...my neighborhood is late 60's tract homes, not McMansions. A house that costs $250K in Texas is $700K here, with property taxes over $20K a year.

If I were you, not being married with a good job..NYC all the way..you can rent a house in the Hamptons for a week or two during the summer.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:41 PM

45 posts, read 92,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If I were you, not being married with a good job..NYC all the way..you can rent a house in the Hamptons for a week or two during the summer.
Seconded. That's what I would suggest.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:58 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
I believe though that you can find homes at an affordable price range in Westhampton, which is the so-called Hampton of the middle class. There is no bar scene there outside of summer but there is an arts scene in the surrounding communities so maybe you can find a way to weave your way into that circle. You can also drive or use the LIRR to Montauk for dining.

Also, you kight want to check out stories of a supposed "plume" eminating from the Brookhaven Lab and whether this has reached the Hamptons or parts of it:

Criticism Shadows Cleanup At Brookhaven Laboratory - NYTimes.com

Groundwater Protection, Brookhaven National Laboratory

Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,764 times
Why?

Old 06-14-2013, 07:38 PM

131 posts, read 332,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeandude View Post
I've visited NYC and Long Island before and I think both of them are amazing places. I'm an anesthesiologist and I currently live in Dallas, TX, but I've decided that I want to move somewhere in the East Coast. The Hamptons sound like a nice place to live in but I've heard that most of the people there are millionaires and live in mansions. Is it everybody or is it most of the people? Could a 30 y.o. single guy who makes a little bit over $200k a year afford a nice house there? Can anybody tell me about real estate in the Hamptons? (East Hampton, Southampton, Hampton Bays... I know there're a few towns). How about the people there? Is it easy to socialize? Would I have the chance to meet the love of my life there or are people less outgoing and more private than they'd be somewhere else? Thank y'all!

Also, how much does the average anesthesiologist make in the Long Island area?
For a single guy, Hamptons are only good May-September. Too quiet the rest of the year. Move to NYC and summer in the Hamptons. NYC has a glut of doctors. You'll probably make less here and cost of living will be MUCH higher.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Why?
Seconded.

You are leaving an amazing state with personal freedoms and a much better economic outlook for THE worst state for personal freedoms and one of the worst states for economic outlook/taxes.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:07 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times
I think most full-time LI people dont go to the Hamptons, I gotta be honest. Lived on LI 31 years and I've been to the Hamptons maybe twice. LI is a wonderful place to call home but I wouldnt recommend the Hamptons. You might be better somewhere like Rockville Centre or Long Beach if you want to live on LI. Good luck! You will be fine here salary-wise with that income.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:58 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
(Sigh), I wonder if this poster plans to move to the Hamptons and set up a concierge practice. Sounds like someone spends too much time watching the USA channel. Maybe, Boris will let you stay in his house rent-free.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think most full-time LI people dont go to the Hamptons, I gotta be honest. Lived on LI 31 years and I've been to the Hamptons maybe twice. LI is a wonderful place to call home but I wouldnt recommend the Hamptons. You might be better somewhere like Rockville Centre or Long Beach if you want to live on LI. Good luck! You will be fine here salary-wise with that income.
Yeah I would have to agree, the Hamptons are more for the Citiots. And to live there's it quite expensive, unless you want to live in a rooming house in Springs, or some of the other mini-ghettos out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island