Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 09:12 AM

87 posts, read 269,570 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine moved from NYC, where she'd had a very busy life, to her Hampton Bays summer house with her second husband, five years ago. She hasn't really made any new friends out there. She doesn't particularly like to drive at night, but in any case, she says there's nothing to do, no fun, that it can be "deadly" in the suburbs, that it would be great for a family with kids, but....

I've spent time years ago in Southold and in the Hamptons, and didn't find it boring but I had some friends of my own. The Hamptons in particular back then attracted artists and writers. I still have that same friend in Southold, who likes to make his family's land open to artists in the summer etc. and knows various artists and filmmakers.

However I ended up discussing and looking at Rocky Point,Miller Place and Sound View because of clamboy's posts and also because of price and because some of the neighborhoods were deer-free. I doubt i could ever live in any "cookie cutter" suburb as nice as they may be, so Nassau county was mostly out. I need to be in the city occasionally for work reasons, not too often. If I were to move, I'd like to be more in nature, so near the beach etc. I have no kids. I'm freelance. If I had the $ I'd probably prefer Stonybrook. I am involved in my own way in the sciences and there are some great scientists there.

So, my question, maybe ohbeehave who lives and works in stonybrook, clamboy and all others, would help me out. I am in a serious relationship and he would go with but he has some qualms about leaving the city too.

If you didn't grow up there, don't have family there, and don't have an interesting job there, how do you create a cultural/artistic/interesting life for yourself?

For instance RP has a blockbuster that is going down to half size. 25A is a series of pleasant 'strip malls' through towns.

Where do the scientists and postdocs at Stonybrook hang out? What is the cultural life of that university if any? How many creative types are scattered on the north shore? What kind of people actually live there? Or is it essentially the suburbs but prettier?

Please don't take offense at this...the question is sincere and I'll appreciate all answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 10:04 AM

491 posts, read 823,871 times
I cant speak for Rocky Point, Miller Place and Sound View but as far as the Southold area the town born are not to happy with new people from the west ....especially any foreners.
They get shunned and usually move to The Hamptons back to Stonybrook.

Many old scientests from Brookhaven hang out at "The Old Valise" in Mattituck but they are from the town. Its a locals only place, it doesnt serve certain people.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:14 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,659,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks13 View Post
A friend of mine moved from NYC, where she'd had a very busy life, to her Hampton Bays summer house with her second husband, five years ago. She hasn't really made any new friends out there. She doesn't particularly like to drive at night, but in any case, she says there's nothing to do, no fun, that it can be "deadly" in the suburbs, that it would be great for a family with kids, but....

I've spent time years ago in Southold and in the Hamptons, and didn't find it boring but I had some friends of my own. The Hamptons in particular back then attracted artists and writers. I still have that same friend in Southold, who likes to make his family's land open to artists in the summer etc. and knows various artists and filmmakers.

However I ended up discussing and looking at Rocky Point,Miller Place and Sound View because of clamboy's posts and also because of price and because some of the neighborhoods were deer-free. I doubt i could ever live in any "cookie cutter" suburb as nice as they may be, so Nassau county was mostly out. I need to be in the city occasionally for work reasons, not too often. If I were to move, I'd like to be more in nature, so near the beach etc. I have no kids. I'm freelance. If I had the $ I'd probably prefer Stonybrook. I am involved in my own way in the sciences and there are some great scientists there.

So, my question, maybe ohbeehave who lives and works in stonybrook, clamboy and all others, would help me out. I am in a serious relationship and he would go with but he has some qualms about leaving the city too.

If you didn't grow up there, don't have family there, and don't have an interesting job there, how do you create a cultural/artistic/interesting life for yourself?

For instance RP has a blockbuster that is going down to half size. 25A is a series of pleasant 'strip malls' through towns.

Where do the scientists and postdocs at Stonybrook hang out? What is the cultural life of that university if any? How many creative types are scattered on the north shore? What kind of people actually live there? Or is it essentially the suburbs but prettier?

Please don't take offense at this...the question is sincere and I'll appreciate all answers.
Heres some local papers:
The Times/Review Newspapers Online!

Keep in mind most people come here to get away from it all.
No offense taken or given...but God willing this will never be anything like the City.

Heres a few Theaters/Attractions etc

Staller Center for the Arts
Welcome To Theatre Three
Gateway Playhouse 2007 Its south shore but close
Atlantis Marine World Aquarium
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/01/re...=1&oref=slogin
Cinema Arts Centre - Huntington, NY
BNL Science Museum
Plenty to do from Greenport to Huntington.
Keep in mind youre approx. one town north of Middle Island so the Island is your oyster or clam

Youre about an hour or less from anywhere.
Long Island Museum - Museums, History and Cultural Heritage Long Island New York

C

Last edited by clamboy; 11-06-2007 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
I cant speak for Rocky Point, Miller Place and Sound View but as far as the Southold area the town born are not to happy with new people from the west ....especially any foreners.

Many old scientests from Brookhaven hang out at "The Old Valise" in Mattituck but they are from the town. Its a locals only place, it doesnt serve certain people.
That is true.

Nofo(From Jamesport East) locals dont care for UpIslanders.

They hate the McMansions, traffic and attitude.

Cant say I blame em

Beehave...Eastern Pavillion and Paula Jeans used to cater to the older SB crowd.

Wheres it at now?

I know a few frequent at La Plage in WR.

C

Old 11-06-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Broken Down Old Valise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post

Well I'm not too worried about me & Southold given my friend/history there.
Just wondering about daily life in LI in that area.
Probably the key for me will be Stonybrook so I'd better visit.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:15 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,914,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
locals dont care for Up-Islanders.C
Been a while since I have heard that term - Even Riverhead was Up Island when I was a kid

Thanks....

And to the OP there is more Cultural Life on North Shore-North Fork of Long Island than you can imagine - just imagine it and you can have it....

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 11-06-2007 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-06-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Been a while since I have heard that term - Even Riverhead was Up Island when I was a kid

Thanks....

And to the OP there is more Cultural Life on North Shore-North Fork of Long Island than you can imagine - just imagine it and you can have it....
What a name, lol! Exactly what does it mean?
What do you mean, imagine it and I can have it?
Details, please (pretty please)

Old 11-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post

Thanks....

Great Post

Where did you grow up East Marion or Cutchogue?

C

Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,914,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Great Post

Where did you grow up East Marion or Cutchogue?

C
Mostly Orient Point... But a few years in New Suffolk no complaints...

Old 11-06-2007, 05:33 PM

But I just checked your other posts and you said you moved away to get off that crappy spit of sand, or something like that.
So last January you weren't too happy with LI!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island