Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM

65 posts, read 133,793 times

Advertisements

I'm finally aggressively looking for a rental on LI. 3 beds and 2 baths, $2200-$2800 / month. Occupancy by July 31. We're looking in the following areas: Commack, Kings Park, Northport, possibly Huntington Harbor and the surrounding.

I've been in contact with Finest Realty in Huntington and they have what look like some great options. They're also great with their communication, which I can't say about most of the other realtors I've contacted via mlsli, zillow, direct sites, etc. However, they aren't an MLSI realtor and there are some other properties I would like to see.

So, it is okay to use two different agents since the properties don't criss-cross? I assume we don't have to sign anything to just look? I know I have when buying, but I've never rented. Anything else a renting rookie should know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 01:16 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,208 times
You can go with any agent you want too. However, if you really like the agent you are dealing with, you can always give them the MLS# and they can make the arrangements with the listing agent and still show you the rental. In the end, you pay the broker fee, and both agents would then have to split it. But that's not your problem. It's always good to be with an agent who has good communication skills. So if you are happy, stick with them.

Forgot to add, you don't have to sign anything to just look. Only when you found something do you sign a lease.

Good luck!!

Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jme5343 View Post
I'm finally aggressively looking for a rental on LI. 3 beds and 2 baths, $2200-$2800 / month. Occupancy by July 31. We're looking in the following areas: Commack, Kings Park, Northport, possibly Huntington Harbor and the surrounding.

I've been in contact with Finest Realty in Huntington and they have what look like some great options. They're also great with their communication, which I can't say about most of the other realtors I've contacted via mlsli, zillow, direct sites, etc. However, they aren't an MLSI realtor and there are some other properties I would like to see.

So, it is okay to use two different agents since the properties don't criss-cross? I assume we don't have to sign anything to just look? I know I have when buying, but I've never rented. Anything else a renting rookie should know?

Agents should always ask you to sign the Agency Disclosure (it's the law!); it's not a contract and doesn't obligate you to anything. Merely a disclosure for your protection so you know whom the agent represents, and you're acknowledging that it was disclosed to you.

If you like a rental, before you sign a lease, ask if it's legal.

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 PM

65 posts, read 133,793 times
Thanks for the responses!

One last ignoramus question: Coming from the perspective of always buying, some negotiation was almost always expected. Is it okay, or common, to do the same when renting?

I believe we will make the ideal rentors: Reliable, clean, no pets, no smoking, rent paid on time, excellent credit, willing to sign a 1 year or longer if necessary, etc (I know, everyone probably says this when signing up). On that basis, would I be out of line to ask our agent if some of the $3k / mo houses would consider $2800 / mo? I know if I were renting out my house, I'd consider some offers if the tenant seemed well suited to take care of my house...

Old 06-20-2013, 01:23 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
never hurts to ask! they could always say no is my thinking!

I have LL friends who have taken quality tenants for less money. The regular people are generally have some flexible. If its a corporation like some management property firm....far less flexible since they are on some rigid formula.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:34 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,208 times
Like sirtiger said, it doesn't hurt to ask. The worst thing that can happen is that they say no. But at least you can say you tried.

First, I would see the houses and then when I found one that I really wanted and felt serious about, I would ask the agent if the owner would consider renting it for $ (you fill in the blanks).

Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
It is not uncommon at all to negotiate a rental. Many landlords will take a bit less in order to get a quality tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island