Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 PM

131 posts, read 332,846 times

Advertisements

Is Port Washington a neighborhood in transition for the worse or for the better? What's the deal with manorhaven? Would you buy in port Washington for the long term or is it too risky since some think port will deteriorate over time like other Long Island towns that transitioned for the worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
I think you need to live for the now. No one can predict the future of Long Island. I am sure all the people living in Hempstead during it's heyday never thought it would turn to sh*t. No one knows what will happen. It is even possible for bad towns to turn good.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:34 AM

344 posts, read 717,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Is Port Washington a neighborhood in transition for the worse or for the better? What's the deal with manorhaven? Would you buy in port Washington for the long term or is it too risky since some think port will deteriorate over time like other Long Island towns that transitioned for the worse.
The future of Port Washington is BRIGHT INDEED, SIR.

But really, it is. Everyone's well-educated and fairly well off. I think we'll be fine.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:18 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
I see Port Washington being like Wyandanch in the next 10 years.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:19 AM

199 posts, read 1,106,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
I agree with the user who said that it's very hard to predict the future of a community. Personally, I don't think Port Washington will "change for the worst" but who knows. One way that you can look at is is that, even in the 'less expensive' Manorhaven community, housing is too expensive for most lower income to afford and it's too expensive for landlords to make a profit from renting it out. If you want to be extra sure, you can review the zoning ordinances to see what kind of areas could potential be zoned for renters.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
PW is now a very hot real estate market with overseas investors pouring money in to snap up homes. If there's any neighborhood in LI that's changing for the worse, it won't be PW.

I would not buy in PW now because the prices are already inflated.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:12 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,671 times
I agree, Port Washington has been getting more expensive over the years. I think some may get the perception that it's "at risk" because of its large and growing Hispanic population but this isn't the case at all. A lot of professionals from Manhattan are continuing to move in and find it to be a desirable neighborhood. In fact Port has much more of a NYC orientation than many other places in Nassau County and a larger % than usual of people commuting to the city for work. Many people like Port because it is slightly more diverse and interesting and not your standard upper middle class suburb like Manhasset or Great Neck.

The people that seem to be leaving Port are people in the middle income range (like myself). Port seems to be increasingly split between a growing upper middle affluent class and a growing Hispanic working class (mainly in Manorhaven and a few other small sections of Port). People like myself that don't fit into either group feel a little left out. I'll be looking to cash out and move on to more appropriate settings soon.

However if you have the cash, Port is a very good place to live. Good schools, easy commute to the City, good restuarants and a wide range of people and cultures.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
So I guess minorities are moving into PW now?

Old 06-20-2013, 12:04 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
I'm a yuppie doctor living in prime Brooklyn, and I am looking for a house in Port Washington.
I just lost out on a bidding war for a house in PW.
I think PW will be fine.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:37 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
So I guess minorities are moving into PW now?
It's always been pretty diverse, even going back decades, but always stable. It's not like many other communities on Long Island where being diverse is just a transition before it becomes a majority another race.

I looked at the demographics of Daly Elementary from the 1980's to today and found that when my wife attended there in the 1980's it was about 60-65% white, today it is 67% White. So it was diverse back then and diverse today. Port has always been an unusual place.

Again becuase of its easy commute it attracts high income earners from Manhattan but also working class Hispanics because these affluent people need personal services. Both groups are growing in this community.

Middle income people like myself are declining in Port, but that is true all over the Island and to an extent nationwide.

Last edited by Port North; 06-20-2013 at 12:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island