Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 08:24 AM

312 posts, read 516,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Goochland is not Henrico. But it goes to show you that within a few miles one jumps from cramped in subdivisions to what looks like a forest but in reality is large lot subdivisions. BM50 can do the same thing without leaving his county by driving west on Genito and after crossing the lake/reservoir its as if he crossed a county line. The park is called Deep Run in Henrico and Crozet is west of Charlottesville about an hour away. So I'm guessing you meant Crozier which is in Goochland.

H1B is a visa for importing people from other countries to fill positions that were 6 figure positions with 5 figure income employees. Most work for CapOne.

Actually, I meant Crozet. I love road trips. We also went to Natural Bridge. Yes, I did see a HUGE house on my way home from Chile's peach orchards.

BigMike 50- OK. Maybe I was not clear. I am not just hanging out with those relocating. :-) There is a couple from New Hampshire, one from another state (waiting to close in Atlanta), and several who are building near here that are at the hotel. The majority of people here are working on the film Killing Kennedy and Field of Lost Shoes.

Yes, if I wanted cheap, I would have moved in with my mother in Ohio, but I didn't want to do that. I have driven to New York one time (to house hunt), and I looked at major cities between Mt. Pleasant and L.I. that I drove through.(Richmond, Baltimore, ..and even Philadelphia-not too far off the path).. I also looked at what people said on the internet about different areas. It was a quick decision because I was planning to go to Ohio less than two weeks prior to my house closing in Mt. P, but I didn't think my mother needed the stress of a young child, dog, and myself moving in for a month or two.

There are actually less expensive hotels here... However, I wanted to be in an area that sounded really good for a single mother/child.. who may be taking a dog out in the middle of the night. Granted I did all my research quickly on the internet, but I chose the right place. What I saw for the money helped me make the decision. There are tons of things for kids to do here, and we have a studio with a full size fridge/stove, fully furnished kitchen, and free coffee, free use of washers and dryers, an office center, and a room with exercise equipment. It is $49.99 a night ONLY due to the length of time I am here. I guess for some that may be "extremely expensive", but I felt like it was a nice price to stay here. I called some hotels in other areas, and they couldn't get near that price.

This is getting entirely off topic with the op, so I am not going to continue to debate the merits of my choice or the ignorance of my decision. ;-) All I can say is it worked for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 09:10 AM

67 posts, read 110,987 times
Why the hell would you stay in VA when you are relocating to LI? This is the biggest load of b.s. I have ever heard. Any normal person would want to be near their new home to get to know the area...but you just happen to be in Henrico County VA....okay....I am sure next we will be hearing how you went down the road to the winery from your house in Merrick.

What do those "about to close" transplants say when you say "Yeah me too...on LI"

Old 06-29-2013, 09:18 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
People stretch the truth or make stuff up while using random anonymous screen names on the interweb? SHOCKING!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
People stretch the truth or make stuff up while using random anonymous screen names on the interweb? SHOCKING!
always falls apart when they cant get the names of places correct or the distances between places...Exrichbacktoli strikes again LOL.

still head scratching about living 400 miles away from the new home...I am moving NC next month but I am staying in Maryland till I can close. Yeah that's the ticket!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:31 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
If that's all a made up story then I have lost further faith in mankind. What did "she" say that was offensive to any of the doubters?

Old 06-29-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
If that's all a made up story then I have lost further faith in mankind. What did "she" say that was offensive to any of the doubters?
does the story make ANY sense at all...a singlenmom moving to LI because it is economically advantageous yet she cant afford a hotel there....who waits to close on a house from5 States away? why not just stay in SC? Really that story makes sense to you? and she just happens to be in the area where LI CDs most bated poster lives. I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might like.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:40 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarcastic View Post
does the story make ANY sense at all...a singlenmom moving to LI because it is economically advantageous yet she cant afford a hotel there....who waits to close on a house from5 States away? why not just stay in SC? Really that story makes sense to you? and she just happens to be in the area where LI CDs most bated poster lives. I have a bridge in Brooklyn you might like.
Maybe you are looking to much into it doc. If that is all made up I feel sorry for this person. What offended you though?

Old 06-29-2013, 09:57 AM

Nothing offended me, other than someone posting a lot of b.s. that makes no sense. You are right, this is a person to feel sorry for. Especially since they are moving to Long Island.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:16 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarcastic View Post
Why the hell would you stay in VA when you are relocating to LI?...
If one follows the I95 corridor between this part of VA (10 min from I95) and LI where would be a truly safe area to stay where multiple places (amenities) are within a short distance (less than a mile), easily navigable and inexpensive? If this person were coming from Atlanta or Ft Lauderdale then I would agree with you. But everything in the middle of those two cities are extremely calmer compared to the culture shock this poster to going to have when living on LI. If this poster wanted a feel of LI, then somewhere in DC metro area would have sufficed but the amenities would be a PITA to get too.

As a ex-NYr I no longer look at the COL. I look at the standards of living. There are just too many small things that collectively you treat as background noise and make yourself numb to it. If you want some insight to what I'm talking about find an ex-smoker and ask them how their smell and taste has changed over the first year.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:33 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post

Therefore, I figure the biggest loss for myself will be the property taxes. Yes, I left a house that was 900 sq ft larger, very modern (I built it new 10 years ago.), and I sold it for about $120,000 less than I paid for a tiny cape on L.I. .
Ok you sold a home in S.C. for 120,000 less than you are paying on L.I. and the taxes are 5 X's as much and the COL is probably around 30 % more.

But you looked for a the Cheapest hotel to stay in thats a good 7 hour drive from L.I. A 49.99 hotel in Henrico That's a hotel that I wouldn't let my dog stay in ....section 8, drug addicts and pros stay there.....and you as a women with a 3 yo child are living there . You can't afford a decent place to stay close to your new home but you can afford a home,taxes in Merrick.

Since you have no Idea when you are closing..... and you're moving for your job.. how long will they wait for you to start? It's already been weeks, it could be months

I did the move and closed on my home on L.I. and 15 hours later close in VA. Most of my friends that retired also moved out of state and all closed within 48 hours and one is in Washington State. This is called proper planning... not the unknown or uncertainty. Where's your possessions and furniture, is everything you do open ended! How do moving companies deal with you?

How many bidding wars did you say you lost on L.I. Please get off the crack pipe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island