Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 02:39 PM

150 posts, read 289,166 times

Advertisements

Wow! I haven't been on here in a bit, didn't realize how many responses there were!
Moved here to be closer to my husbands children, still paying college tuition x3 and needed home large enough to allow us space for an elderly handicapped parent .... i just need to make ends meet a bit easier....If that makes me a "greedy slob" as one poster put it, so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 02:45 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
Just wondering, have you looked into working in the Richmond VA area? Several hospitals and an easier weekly commute.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilaurorn View Post
Wow! I haven't been on here in a bit, didn't realize how many responses there were!
Moved here to be closer to my husbands children, still paying college tuition x3 and needed home large enough to allow us space for an elderly handicapped parent .... i just need to make ends meet a bit easier....If that makes me a "greedy slob" as one poster put it, so be it.

This was quite clear for a person with even a first grade reading comprehension level:

Quote:
If you are thinking of doing this because you can live okay on your NC salary, but want designer bags, a new SUV and McMansion, then you are a greedy slob and deserve what you get.
There ARE a lot of people doing or thinking of what you are doing because they ARE greedy slobs. Apparently you are not.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
It makes no sense to exclude housing, calling the income difference a wash, or forgetting about intangibles. It’s all a package deal.

For a “like house” on like I had on LI, I’d be saving even more money. Taxes on a like house (1800 square feet and a .2 acre lot) would be about $1200 or so, but the house itself would cost less than half or what is on LI. That’s at least $200K you are not shelling out and paying interest on. So you’d have to include that money you’d save on the purchase price alone. That money or value is not a wash.

For the reverse, a “like” house on LI that I have in NC on the same size lot, taxes would be least $12k to 15K per year range that’s within an hour of Penn Station.

As for including intangibles, if your going to include them things like the proximity to friends, family, Manhattan, beaches, pizza, bagel, etc... when touting the benefits of LI, you have include those that come when relocating somewhere else.

The people who primarily base their move on how big of a house they can get and how small their tax bill is as compared to LI are the ones that post that they are miserable. Intangibles are just as important as the money.
I didn't tout any of the intangibles in this thread. I mentioned to exclude them and focus on basic COL differences (constant variables). Again, housing is more subjective than you think. Not everyone values an oversized property and yard the same way. You can't put a universal value on that, nor can you put it on LI's intangibles.
How much will a 3/2 ~2000sq ft cape like this sell for in a decent relo area with above average schools? How much would it cost to buy? and how much to rent something similar? Put up a link or two to compare.
$264k 3677 Mallard Rd, Levittown, NY 11756 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

Old 07-01-2013, 09:11 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,951,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I didn't tout any of the intangibles in this thread. I mentioned to exclude them and focus on basic COL differences (constant variables). Again, housing is more subjective than you think. Not everyone values an oversized property and yard the same way. You can't put a universal value on that, nor can you put it on LI's intangibles.
How much will a 3/2 ~2000sq ft cape like this sell for in a decent relo area with above average schools? How much would it cost to buy? and how much to rent something similar? Put up a link or two to compare.
$264k 3677 Mallard Rd, Levittown, NY 11756 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate
Same Price

1406 Camberly Ct, Midlothian, VA 23113 - Zillow

53 years newer, 100X's nicer, bigger lot, central air, no oil, gas, more bathrooms, updated and modern and 6,000 less in taxes per year....Mortgage would be around 1k a month...great schools also rent it for around 1,400 to 1,500 a month! How much would the rent be on L.I. when it's almost 800 a month just in Taxes

Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 PM

Hmmm, someone showed up to a gunfight with a pen knife.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,951,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Hmmm, someone showed up to a gunfight with a pen knife.
lol, don't worry...he'll find something wrong with the comparison

On a side note my brother is in town....and during our escapes he looked at some brand new homes that are going up around 2 miles from us. During the tour of the model home my nephew asks my brother '' Hey dad can we afford all this" He responded "If we sold our house we could buy two of these"

Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,442 times
Huh? I am not looking to get into a "gunfight". Ridiculous lol. I'm aware the housing is cheaper in VA.

I was asking to find something similar and show the cost difference. I was expecting something older and much cheaper. There is no cost difference except the $6k taxes ($5k after STAR). Proving exactly what I was saying that the person who buys that Levittown house will not have a huge COL disparity with the person who buys the newer VA house. I'm sure someone with a family of 4 could be perfectly happy living in that Ltown house without having to transplant their entire lives into a cheaper area just to get a shinier home.

Here's one from the motherland around the same price, new construction and 1/3rd acre:
34 Tarpon Rd, Rocky Point, NY 11778 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

Old 07-02-2013, 06:00 AM

Dang, Pequa just played the Rocky Point card. That's not fair.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 AM

I see what you're looking for with regards to housing and is how we started when we moved. I found some homes similar to the first one you posted (under 2K sq ft, 3 BR, 2B) around where I used to live. I excluded all the town homes and condos. These all go to top rated schools, are close to shopping and an easy commute to city, South Side or the West End jobs.

2724 Glen Point Cir, Henrico, VA 23233 - Zillow
12921 Church Ct, Henrico, VA 23233 - Zillow
12608 Copperas Ln, Henrico, VA 23233 - Zillow
2149 Oakhampton Pl, Henrico, VA 23233 - Zillow
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/26...12955158_zpid/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island