Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
What?! The only way any of this makes sense is if Manhattan shuts down, and Nassau residents are forced to work within Nassau only. Your analogy is nonsensical.

The reality is Nassau median income is $95k, Charlotte $55k. Chances are it would most likely be similar for plumbers, electricians, and RN's (exactly like the OP's situation), and most other professions.

As for the examples you gave of the houses in NC, the major cost difference is $6k after STAR taxes, and possibly a couple hundred dollars (mortgage) with the Butternut Ln house. Even less of a difference if Enhanced STAR is applicable. Then there are the other miscellaneous expenses; insurance, utilities, etc
Pequa ... If everything is the same ....why do so many retirees move off the island ? Most of the their homes are paid off.. Why,cause they could get so much more outside of the island and the col is so much less, that they could live very comfortably on less income. I have a whole bunch near me and live very very well and they wouldn't be living as well on the Island. And RN's make more here than most places.

Like I said many times before... Families of 4 and 5 live very comfortably down here on 75k that wouldn't fly on the island..... I don't know why you have such a hard time wrapping your head around how much cheaper it is to live elsewhere...maybe if you hear it from your good friend Kayfouroh, you'll start believing

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by BigMike50; 07-03-2013 at 01:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 01:55 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Ummm yea. I've posted about that in multiple threads.
No actually what you USED to post was that you had visited friends in NC while in college. Maybe in your imaginings that translates to you having gone to school here, but sorry, not buying it. Especially since you once post posted how flat it is in Charlotte, which is pretty much the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Get out much while going to "grad school" here?

Old 07-03-2013, 02:12 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No actually what you USED to post was that you had visited friends in NC while in college. Maybe in your imaginings that translates to you having gone to school here, but sorry, not buying it. Especially since you once post posted how flat it is in Charlotte, which is pretty much the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Get out much while going to "grad school" here?
Yes I visited friends in other parts of the state. I didnt go to school in Charlotte. Charlotte is flatter than most places I have been. Nothing wrong with it but thats how I feel.

I posted very recently about going to grad school there. Do you really think I spent hours upon hours googling NC so that I can post about it on here? Please. I've lived there- thats how I know what I know.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:45 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
What?! The only way any of this makes sense is if Manhattan shuts down, and Nassau residents are forced to work within Nassau only. Your analogy is nonsensical.

The reality is Nassau median income is $95k, Charlotte $55k. Chances are it would most likely be similar for plumbers, electricians, and RN's (exactly like the OP's situation), and most other professions.

As for the examples you gave of the houses in NC, the major cost difference is $6k after STAR taxes, and possibly a couple hundred dollars (mortgage) with the Butternut Ln house. Even less of a difference if Enhanced STAR is applicable. Then there are the other miscellaneous expenses; insurance, utilities, etc
**Sigh** Why is it that everyone thinks everyone in Nassau County works in Manhattan? Or that everyone who works in Nassau County makes $95K per year?

The median HOUSEHOLD INCOME in Nassau County is $95K. The average JOB in Nassau pays about $50 to $60K depending upon the source. Only about 20 % of the folks in Nassau commute to work in NYC.

Utilities take care of any STAR difference. (100% increase for electricity and 40% for natural gas)

Again, paying an extra $6K or $7K per year for the dump in Levittown is still a lot of money to most folks. It's more when your taxes are $11k or more per year. I don't know why you consider this chump change, especially over a longer period of time. And then there are those darn intangibles.

If you are a plumber, electrician (especially uinon) or RN, well the reality is that you can make more in the NYC metro area than in most places, but as you stipulated, jobs are an individual situation. Once you get past jobs like those, civil service jobs, and the "special" jobs that pay top dollar in NYC, most average office worker jobs pay about what you can get somewhere else.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:02 PM

I have a hard time believing only 20% of Nassau work in Manhattsn. Trains are always packed and there are people I am certain who drive in. I think the # is higher than that.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:13 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Pequa ... If everything is the same ....why do so many retirees move off the island ? Most of the their homes are paid off.. Why,cause they could get so much more outside of the island and the col is so much less, that they could live very comfortably on less income. I have a whole bunch near me and live very very well and they wouldn't be living as well on the Island. And RN's make more here than most places.

Like I said many times before... Families of 4 and 5 live very comfortably down here on 75k that wouldn't fly on the island..... I don't know why you have such a hard time wrapping your head around how much cheaper it is to live elsewhere...maybe if you hear it from your good friend Kayfouroh, you'll start believing

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2
How much do RNs make there? I make a good salary on LI, couldn't imagine making much more off the island (except in Manhattan maybe?)

Old 07-03-2013, 03:33 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I have a hard time believing only 20% of Nassau work in Manhattsn. Trains are always packed and there are people I am certain who drive in. I think the # is higher than that.
So because the trains are packed all of Nassau is commuting to Manhattan?

I know you don't like the Census, so here are some stats from them and others:

Check out figure 1
The Evolution of Commuting Patterns in the New York City Metro Area - Federal Reserve Bank of New York

Check out page 8 - 95K does not seem like the whole county
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...lows_paper.pdf

Check out table 8 on page 12 - 95K who commute into Manhattan vs 620k workers in Nassau even less in this study - 15%
http://www.demographia.com/db-nyc-employ.pdf

Old 07-03-2013, 03:58 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
How much do RNs make there? I make a good salary on LI, couldn't imagine making much more off the island (except in Manhattan maybe?)
Between 75-100k I listed this previously and I listed a bunch that were hiring.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-03-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
So because the trains are packed all of Nassau is commuting to Manhattan?

I know you don't like the Census, so here are some stats from them and others:

Check out figure 1
The Evolution of Commuting Patterns in the New York City Metro Area - Federal Reserve Bank of New York

Check out page 8 - 95K does not seem like the whole county
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/rele...lows_paper.pdf

Check out table 8 on page 12 - 95K who commute into Manhattan vs 620k workers in Nassau even less in this study - 15%
http://www.demographia.com/db-nyc-employ.pdf
Seems like it, lol. Whether it's 3am or 2pm or 9pm i never get a seat. If it's not Nassau people commuting then who is?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:54 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Don't forget the LIRR services Brooklyn and Queens. I thought that figure was off at first too, until I thought about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island