Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2013, 08:03 AM

312 posts, read 515,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
at one point we were going to re-locate to where our 2nd home was in the poconos.

then i figured out while the cost of living may be 20% less the pay was 1/2.
Yes, you do the math like I do... It isn't just true in the Poconos

Talking about growth. One of the things I like about L.I. is that the schools are small (relatively speaking). I called/visited my "neighborhood" elementary which is about the best in the Low Country 2.5 years ago, and they had 350 kindergarteners. Trust me they are still building houses in the subdivision all the time. That big of a school was not appealing.. even though again the rating of it is exemplary. You want to buy in that area specifically for the schools. Inside the subdivision (which is seen as very nice and a huge draw from those in the north because they want the schools), my house was 3.5 miles from the entrance. Luckily a year or so after moving there they built a grocery store in it, Publix. That made grocery shopping a little more convenient, and in the last year they built a gas station. It was a gorgeous area, but I wanted more of a neighborhood feel. The only people I ever really knew were my L.I. neighbors. They said the same thing and that on L.I. people lived there for years and didn't buy and sell constantly. Will I get the neighborhood feel on L.I., who knows. I was shocked though when the guy who completed the house inspection said he not only grew up in the area but that he grew up in the house where he now lives... pretty neat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 09:42 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Redd Jedd & Mikeykid, your points are well taken. I disagree 100% on the infrastructure issues however. Actually, I think that's where places like Charlotte are in serious trouble. We'll see.
I'm not sure who made the quote that "transplants who move to the south simply for a bigger home and cheaper taxes usually complain the most" ... That seems like one of the more accurate observations in the thread.
Anyway, it's going to be perfect beach weather today and tomorrow. Have fun this weekend all (y'all)
In the end, we will see... I don't know what ages your kids are (or if you even have any since I don't stalk this place enough and don't remember you posting about having them), but the tale will be fully spun for me in 6 to 9 years when my kids start High School.

I don't understand where you're coming from on infrastructure issues - I know both metros very well. If there's serious trouble on the horizon - be it age... funding for maintenance or improvements... weather... et al - I'd take a bet. You can see the difference.

There's very little "accurate observations in the thread" - certainly not for me. My kids are what it is about... so let dog, LIbutt, and misfit go on and on about what they want - none of it related to raising a family. They think they know - and that's what kind of makes it tragic... It will come when (IF) they put a kid on a bus to kinder the first day. Until then, it's just vanilla narcissism.

Hope you have a safe and happy holiday weekend at the beach. I think back to those days sitting in traffic on RM waiting to get over the bridges with a smile on my face... I was never one to just sit on the beach - way too boring - can't stand it to this day... but hangin' out at the OBI... weekends out at Neptunes, Summers, CPI... Sundays at Boardy Barn... ah the memories... wouldn't change it for anything... but times do change... we all grow up. Too bad I can't stay 21 forever. sadface

Old 07-06-2013, 12:15 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Your train has just derailed.... Less expensive doesn't necessarily mean inferior... I live in a rolls Royce neighborhood but pay Hyundai prices .... You can get a great education and not pay 20k per student. You can pay 2-3 k in taxes and have a great QOL......... More expensive doesn't always better... Two identical homes, built with the same materials... One cost 400k here would go for 1.3 mil on the island

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2
What I am trying to say is not everybody wants to move to the South in order to do that. Some people are content to stay where they are and pay more. Sheesh. I try and relax and watch TV and a commercial reminds me of the southern expats constantly trying to sell their location on the LI CD board. The point I was trying to make is if you don't necessarily want somewhere that is cheaper for the sake of saving money alone, that will not make you move, just like if a Mercedes owner doesn't want a cheaper luxury car, that would not make him buy a luxury Hyundai instead.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Yes, that was bad advertising. A better selling pitch would be to say that Hyundai (presumably the Sonata) has fewer electrical equipment than a Mercedes which lowers the cost of maintenance over time.
I think the model was called the Equus.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
yes...you brought up trailers in post #208...must I do all the work here lol
and you clearly were not following the train of thought...just helping you out
I have no idea what service people make here....
enough to live in this low salary high COL part of the world apparently
. Is that not everyones argument here?
No. We already did the "how many trailer parks are in NC?" stuff awhile back:

//www.city-data.com/forum/17275824-post48.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/17275839-post49.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/17275858-post50.html

It ended up taking up 3 posts because of the size of the list.

But it's all good. We know you don't live in any of them.

At least there's plenty of housing for the people who don't make much money though. Keeps the COL down for those folks.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
In the end, we will see... I don't know what ages your kids are (or if you even have any since I don't stalk this place enough and don't remember you posting about having them), but the tale will be fully spun for me in 6 to 9 years when my kids start High School.

I don't understand where you're coming from on infrastructure issues - I know both metros very well. If there's serious trouble on the horizon - be it age... funding for maintenance or improvements... weather... et al - I'd take a bet. You can see the difference.

There's very little "accurate observations in the thread" - certainly not for me. My kids are what it is about... so let dog, LIbutt, and misfit go on and on about what they want - none of it related to raising a family. They think they know - and that's what kind of makes it tragic... It will come when (IF) they put a kid on a bus to kinder the first day. Until then, it's just vanilla narcissism.

Hope you have a safe and happy holiday weekend at the beach. I think back to those days sitting in traffic on RM waiting to get over the bridges with a smile on my face... I was never one to just sit on the beach - way too boring - can't stand it to this day... but hangin' out at the OBI... weekends out at Neptunes, Summers, CPI... Sundays at Boardy Barn... ah the memories... wouldn't change it for anything... but times do change... we all grow up. Too bad I can't stay 21 forever. sadface
Geez what are you getting all personal attacky on ME for? I am certainly not trying to dictate to you what is best to do for your family, nor anybody else's family! I am also certainly not on the NC or VA boards having the nerve to tell the people that where they live is no good and what is best for them! Think about that for a second.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
LI is a Mercedes... rofl

Everyone on LI can pick each other apart Nassau vs. Suffdump... knowing full well that there are areas of LI nobody would want to live in. Yet, it's a Mercedes. Such a flawed analogy.
You fail reading comprehension!

I was not making a comparison between LI and the South.

Back to first grade!

Now, if I WERE to compare the Southern relo hotspots of VA and NC versus LI to cars, it would be more like:

LI = Lamborghini Veneno*
South = broken down hoopty waiting in junkyard to get compacted in the crusher

Happy now???

*Out of 3 produced in 2013, fittingly, one of these $4M cars will reside on LI. Source: http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/03/14/t...ead-to-the-us/

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 07-06-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 07:33 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Geez what are you getting all personal attacky on ME for? I am certainly not trying to dictate to you what is best to do for your family, nor anybody else's family! I am also certainly not on the NC or VA boards having the nerve to tell the people that where they live is no good and what is best for them! Think about that for a second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You fail reading comprehension!

I was not making a comparison between LI and the South.

Back to first grade!

Now, if I WERE to compare the Southern relo hotspots of VA and NC versus LI to cars, it would be more like:

LI = Lamborghini Veneno*
South = broken down hoopty waiting in junkyard to get compacted in the crusher

Happy now???

*Out of 3 produced in 2013, fittingly, one of these $4M cars will reside on LI. Source: Two of Three Lamborghini Veneno's Will Head to the US
Ez now... don't get all sensitive. I thought we always poked at each other in some ways, nothing serious intended from me. I just found the posts you're referring to here on the extreme side and funny.

and yes, I'm happy now!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
at one point we were going to re-locate to where our 2nd home was in the poconos.

then i figured out while the cost of living may be 20% less the pay was 1/2.
Exactly. Some people say "well you don't need that much to live there though." Guess what? The cars at the dealer still cost the same, and the restaurant food still costs the same as here. But as long as your house doesn't cost as much, I guess that's ok. The number of luxury cars, as an example, that we saw when we went down to PA... such a big, noticeable, difference. You really have to have different likes I guess. Like open space and big houses with fewer things to do & enjoy around you.

People are here living the more stressful (taxing) life because maybe they want the rewards that come with it? Could be material things, proximity to family, many things to do, food choices, etc. I know I'm in that boat, and what we endure is not even as bad as the haters make it sound.

As for BigMike's numbers, other than home prices and taxes, I think the only real big savings in cost of living (over the course of a year) is from the homeowner's insurance which is about half ($800 dollars for a year). Our gas bill is stupid low in the summer too. I'd suggest most everything is a nice tradeoff for what we have around here. It's just the damn taxes we have that's hard to stomach when it comes around every year.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-06-2013 at 08:39 PM..

Old 07-06-2013, 08:51 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Default Taxes; work on LI but live in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Exactly. Some people say "well you don't need that much to live there though." Guess what? The cars at the dealer still cost the same, and the restaurant food still costs the same as here. But as long as your house doesn't cost as much, I guess that's ok. The number of luxury cars, as an example, that we saw when we went down to PA... such a big, noticeable, difference. You really have to have different likes I guess. Like open space and big houses with fewer things to do & enjoy around you.

People are here living the more stressful (taxing) life because maybe they want the rewards that come with it? Could be material things, proximity to family, many things to do, food choices, etc. I know I'm in that boat, and what we endure is not even as bad as the haters make it sound.

As for BigMike's numbers, other than home prices and taxes, I think the only real big savings in cost of living (over the course of a year) is from the homeowner's insurance which is about half ($800 dollars for a year). Our gas bill is stupid low in the summer too. I'd suggest most everything is a nice tradeoff for what we have around here. It's just the damn taxes we have that's hard to stomach when it comes around every year.
Car insurance is half ..... Electric is almost half.. Gas is cheaper... Sales tax is less 5 %so that car would be less after you add taxes and everything you buy. Gasoline is .25 less a gallon.
If you want more accurate figures... Give me the sqf of you home and I could base better numbers from taxes to utilities.. I had a 174 dollar electric bill but remember that around 7,000 sqf and central air running 24/7 I'm sure that would be around 400+ on the island and my taxes would probably be 20k or better...

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island