Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:00 PM

200 posts, read 379,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
The funny part is the fact that, even though Baldwin borders those neighborhoods, it's the nice parts of those neighborhoods that Baldwin borders.
That's true especially of Freeport. If you were not from here and drove through that that of Freeport, you would think that you were in a well-to-do area. Some of the properties and houses are really quite nice in size and appearance.

I don't really know the history of Freeport but I often wondered if the area was a summer retreat for wealthy people back in the day because of the size and types of the houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:47 PM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imonte1234 View Post
I am contemplating a move to North Baldwin (near the synagogue). I am white and in a relationship with a Hatian and am looking for a more culturally diverse neighborhood. I am being told that Baldwin is going downhill and is not a good choice to buy a home. I want to start a family and am worried about safety and the value of the home decreasing after i purchase it. Does anyone have any feedback for me about the quality of life in Baldwin for families? Thank-you for any advice you can provide!
You will find very affordable housing in Baldwin.
However, keep in mind that Baldwin's racial stats are not stable. Baldwin continues to become more and more minority every year. I like a healthy mix of people, myself...but unfortunately, that's not the direction Baldwin is headed. Many Long Islanders are aware of this and it will certainly impact negatively on the value of a home over time.

Have you thought of renting there first?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
You will find very affordable housing in Baldwin.
However, keep in mind that Baldwin's racial stats are not stable. Baldwin continues to become more and more minority every year. I like a healthy mix of people, myself...but unfortunately, that's not the direction Baldwin is headed. Many Long Islanders are aware of this and it will certainly impact negatively on the value of a home over time.

Have you thought of renting there first?

What's wrong with minorities?

Old 06-28-2013, 09:31 PM

8 posts, read 12,890 times
I live in Baldwin and my daughter currently attends the Baldwin High School and we love it here. The Baldwin Civic Association is working very hard to foster community engagement, economic development, protecting our QOL, and beautifying Baldwin. I moved here 10 years ago due to the close proximity to NYC, the beaches, schools, and the diversity here.

Here are some facts about Baldwin:

Baldwin Residents’ Median income is $99,872.00 (It's actually slightly higher now)
(higher than Bethpage, East Rockaway, Franklin Square, Hicksville, Levittown,
Lindenhurst, Lynbrook, West Hempstead, Valley Stream and comparable to Oceanside)

44.6 % of people aged 25 and over hold a Bachelors degree or higher
(higher than Bellmore, Bethpage, East Rockaway, Franklin Square, Hicksville,
Levittown, Lindenhurst, Lynbrook, Oceanside and Valley Stream)

84% of residents own their own home
93% have been living in the same home for over a year
32,135 people live within a little over four square miles*
Ethnically and economically diverse, Baldwin is easily accessible

Only 25 miles away from mid-town Manhattan
Easily accessible by Sunrise Highway, the Southern State Parkway and nearby Meadowbrook Parkway.
Only a 40 minute ride to Pennsylvania Station on the Babylon branch of the LIRR
Bus service is available along the main routes of Grand Avenue, Merrick Road and Atlantic Avenue.

You can also go to We Are Baldwin if you want to see who we are.

Below is a link on the Top Ten Students of Baldwin High School 2013 and the schools they will be attending.

http://www3.baldwinschools.org/sites...TopTen2013.pdf

Good luck! If you have additional questions, let me know.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 PM

8 posts, read 12,890 times
Baldwin also borders Oceanside and RVC, but that's almost never mentioned.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive P View Post
Baldwin also borders Oceanside and RVC, but that's almost never mentioned.
Anything to trash a neighborhood

Old 07-19-2013, 03:33 PM
PLQ

1 posts, read 1,967 times
Hi,
I am Hispanic and my husband is white. We bought a house in south Baldwin 10 years ago and it used to be a really nice place to live. However, I must say that in the last 5 years or so, there has been a lot more police activity that I would like. I live near the Walbaum's supermarket and a teenager was robbed just behind it in the early evening. A teenager a couple of blocks away was arrested because of her participation in home invasion crimes. And the list goes on. So, in short, while I understand that diversity would always bring negative association, I live here and I personally am looking to move out now that we have kids. These are just my observations from living here in South Baldwin. I surely can't really tell how North Baldwin is but know that just last week, a woman was robbed as she was getting to her car from the LIRR station. Check Newsday.com to confirm the stories.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:42 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Default Moving to Baldwin?

At the advice of my attorney... I'm not posting anything negative about Baldwin.... Hope everyone is staying cool

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-19-2013, 04:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
At the advice of my attorney... I'm not posting anything negative about Baldwin.... Hope everyone is staying cool

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2
Your "attorney" is an idiot if he is telling you what not to post on an anonymous internet forum. (By extension, guess what that makes you for paying him ...)

Old 07-19-2013, 05:10 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Your "attorney" is an idiot if he is telling you what not to post on an anonymous internet forum. (By extension, guess what that makes you for paying him ...)
Of all people to believe my post....it was you love. .. The truth is, I said so much negative things over the years it not worth rehashing... Add the fact that I'm gone from there for years... It doesn't matter what happens there to me

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island