Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:17 PM

40 posts, read 105,577 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband and I are considering purchasing a home in Deer Park. We have visited this area many times before (mainly, the Tanger outlets) and we feel the area is nice and meets some of our main criteria (easy commute for my husband to work and reasonably priced housing). We do have some more questions, though, which I will list below:

- Is this a good place for a young couple to settle down and start a family?
- Is the area safe?
- Are there good public schools with lots of activities?
- (Let me begin this question with saying we live in NYC right now, in an area where we have a difficult time communicating with others due to the fact that a good 90% of our community speaks Russian and not English - I am not looking for judgement, just a simple response, thanks!) Are there a lot of foreigners who do not speak English or areas like the one I described?
- Are the locals friendly?
- What are the major attractions?
- Is there a downtown area?
- Are there activities throughout the year for different holidays/events in the summer?
- Is the town a tight knit community where everyone knows each other or do people tend to keep to themselves?

Anything else you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

We are also open to other areas, preferably Suffolk county but not too far out, as my husband will be commuting to either Brooklyn, Manhattan, or Queens for work.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 05:38 PM

199 posts, read 1,106,401 times
It's a decent area. The area is safe and I hear good reviews from just about all of the parents that I know who send kids to DP SD. If you go north of Old Country Rd then you get Half Hollow Hills SD which are one of the top districts on LI.

There is no "downtown area". There are a ton of stores/restaurants on Deer Park Avenue as well as the new Tanger Outlet Mall w/a skating rink and movie theatre. There is more to do there than most other towns. There is also a LIRR train stop in town so a commute into the city would be simple.

As far as culture, the overwhelming majority of people speak English. Based on observations, the largest heritage there are Italian-American descendants but there is still a fair amount of other groups represented.

The only negative that I can think of is that it borders Wyandanch, which is a troubled area. Deer Park Avenue can get extremely busy also.

(I used to live in neighboring W/N Babylon)

Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,207 times
Deer Park is completely fine, as long as you stay away from the westernmost side that is west of Deer Park Avenue that borders Wyndanch. The neighborhood that borders it might be OK but it is within walking distance of the next town which isn't so comforting.

I lived in Deer Park for 8 years on the eastern side off of Carls Path. Very nice neighborhood where everyone for the most part keeps up on their property. It does get busy though depending on where you look, as much of Deer Park is used as cut throughs between Deer Park Avenue and Commack Road. Cross streets like Old Country Road, Nichols, Grand, etc. are highly trafficked, and can get loud in the summer when apparently everyone who owns a Harley drives through.

Schools are good. Taxes are on the low side. Plenty to eat/shop around the area, but no true 'downtown' unless you go south to Babylon, which is under 10 minutes away.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:15 AM

27 posts, read 77,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sMe! View Post
Hi! My husband and I are considering purchasing a home in Deer Park. We have visited this area many times before (mainly, the Tanger outlets) and we feel the area is nice and meets some of our main criteria (easy commute for my husband to work and reasonably priced housing). We do have some more questions, though, which I will list below:

- Is this a good place for a young couple to settle down and start a family?
- Is the area safe?
- Are there good public schools with lots of activities?
- (Let me begin this question with saying we live in NYC right now, in an area where we have a difficult time communicating with others due to the fact that a good 90% of our community speaks Russian and not English - I am not looking for judgement, just a simple response, thanks!) Are there a lot of foreigners who do not speak English or areas like the one I described?
- Are the locals friendly?
- What are the major attractions?
- Is there a downtown area?
- Are there activities throughout the year for different holidays/events in the summer?
- Is the town a tight knit community where everyone knows each other or do people tend to keep to themselves?

Anything else you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

We are also open to other areas, preferably Suffolk county but not too far out, as my husband will be commuting to either Brooklyn, Manhattan, or Queens for work.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!
Hey,

I live not too far from the area. Deer Park is a great area for first time home buyers/new families. Its safe and has a lot going for itself considering its practically in the middle of everything; grocery stores, parks, restaurants, the outlets, short drive to babylon village, and the shore. The "downtown area" would be Deer Park Avenue and or Commack Rd. Schools are pretty decent from what I've heard from parents in the area. The Patch website always has some story about a former Deer Park student making the Dean's List or *** laude at their respective Universities. From my observations its mainly english speaking friendly people. Folks may talk about proximity to Brentwood & Wyandanch...so is Dix Hills, and Dix Hills is a fine area as well. What happens in Wyandanch/Brentwood stays in Wyandanch/Brentwood.

My best advice is to drive around the area at different times to see if you really fit in. Go grocery shopping if you have time. Thats a great way to see the population that's there.

Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times
I would agree with Bklyndude that what happens in Wyndance stays in Wyndance. Thought others have mentioned that Wyndance borders Deer Park it's also pretty close to Dix Hills (one of the more expensive areas to live) so what they do there stays there. I live there and the people are fine have no problems at all. Most of the items you mentoned abouve is easily covered. (Tanger for movies/shopping ect. Lots of shops on DP avenue. I have noticed a lot of young families recently and you have the option of the wyndance or deer park train station.

The added perk is as a town of babylon resident you have access to the town only beaches wheich are never usually crowded and as one other peson mentioned the deerpark/north bab patch usually list activities all the time.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:52 AM

199 posts, read 1,106,401 times
Dix Hills isn't really that close to Wyandanch or Brentwood. There's actually a whole town seperating Dix Hills from Wyandanch. And it's also far from Brentwood since you would have to cross a huge Community College Campus, a busy parkway, many wooded areas and a massive abandoned hospital complex to get to the residential areas of Dix Hills from Brentwood. Just wanted to clarify that.

Sometimes Wyandanch stuff does spillover into neighboring communities. Last summer, there were some well-publicized violent crimes perpetrated by a Wyandanch resident in a bordering neighborhood of W.Bab. To the best of my knowledge, police have caught the man responsible which is great. But if you're in Deer Park then your less likely to face spillover b/c the streets don't feed into each other like they do in some of the other areas that border Wyandanch. To sum it up and make a long story short, you shouldn't worry about Wyandanch if your in Deer Park.

Last edited by Guidance100; 05-20-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
Quote:
]- What are the major attractions?
Walmart.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:16 PM

6 posts, read 19,549 times
Deer Park--We moved here almost four years ago from Queens--cash purchase. Quiet and friendly location. Our taxes have not risen as high as I expected so we are doing well. We bought so we could have space for our grandchildren and we travel to other locations for entertainment. Tanger is a helpful bonus...we are pleased with our decision!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:17 PM

40 posts, read 105,577 times
Thank you all so much for your insightful comments! You have all truly been a big help.

Squared - how do you like it compared to Queens? Is it a much better quality of life?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 19,549 times
We lived in a garden apartment in Oakland Gardens, Queens for many years after selling our home. Parking was horrific; you didn't feel like leaving your home in the evening because you would spend so much time looking for parking. Now that there are grandchildren, we wanted space, and we have it!
We are happy gardening and decorating.
I work in Queens and if I hit the L.I.E. at the right time I can make it in without too much hassle. Coming home may be longer, but the peace I have when I park on my large driveway is wonderful. We still go into Manhattan on occasion for our fix of the busy life, but there are nice beaches with things to do; travel out east to markets, wineries; fairs and carnivals are fun for the kids. So, I can say our quality of life is better with a different focus as we age. I don't mind the taxes; I support good education and if my few dollars can help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island