Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 05:52 AM

5 posts, read 7,233 times

Advertisements

Hi my fiancé and I recently in March contacted a realtor he had heard about, he helped us find an apartment for him and I along with our 5 month old. We were so desperate to be a family since we were living at different addresses we didn't realize it was an illegal apartment until I went to the town to complain about the mold growing in the bathroom! We signed a lease and everything seemed ligit and the apartment was brand new so we were so excited. The landlord had the contractor come back in and fix the bathroom but he did it half ass, didn't remove anything! Then about a week later my fiancé dropped the babies pacifier under our bed and got a hand full of mold! We tried talking to the landlord that night and it just so happen that rent was due that day, my fiancé asked him to come down n look at all of this and he refused and said that it was just an excise for us not to pay rent which wasn't the case! We decided yesterday to rent a storage unit and get everything out that was still ok, and move back into separate living again until we find a new place. We had to throw out our entire bedroom set, her spare carseat, a $7000 rug my finances sister gave to us because it didn't fit in her new home! I have to go also tomorrow to get our daughter checked out. we've also caught him in our apartment! It's a mess, were going today to finish moving out, is there anything I can do? Can I sue him for the furniture I've had to throw out, money I've given him, broker fee, if anything is wrong with us? I don't know what to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,116 times
One big paragraph of steer waste.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
I would report the realtor to the LI Realtor Board (or whatever it's called)

I would sue the realtor to get the fee back (he's not supposed to be showing illegal apts)

I woudl sue the LL for everything that was ruined (and make sure you have some kind of proof/receipts for everything)

I hope you took photos/videos of the apartment and the mold.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Good luck suing. It will take time and money unless it is small claims court and unless you have pictures and receipts. I would if you have not already speak to the realtor and then if in fact you were shown an illegal apt. I might speak to his/her manager. But without documentation you are sunk, and by the way forget about your sister in laws rug that was $7000, too, unless you can prove that. Do you have renters insurance?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:42 PM

No receipt for the rug but you can pull the company up online and I can prove it that way, we have a lease and receipts for payment and I have text from the realtor. The realtor is giving us the run around and it doesn't seem like he wants to help but hes saying he's going to. It wasn't until I said I was going to get my lawyer involved was he willing to help. The landlord doesn't even want to come down and see what we're dealing with and I have a feeling he's going to give us a hard time about giving us our security back!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:52 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
you are talking about anreal lawsuit as your claim is over small claims amount...good luck

Old 07-07-2013, 02:36 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agunst328 View Post
No receipt for the rug but you can pull the company up online and I can prove it that way, we have a lease and receipts for payment and I have text from the realtor. The realtor is giving us the run around and it doesn't seem like he wants to help but hes saying he's going to. It wasn't until I said I was going to get my lawyer involved was he willing to help. The landlord doesn't even want to come down and see what we're dealing with and I have a feeling he's going to give us a hard time about giving us our security back!

Do you have any photos showing the rug in your apt? If not, I could say I had a Picasso and unless I can show it in my home.......well you know what I mean.

Do you have pics of the mold and the items that you lost due to mold? I would not call the office I would go in person and speak to the manager directly, since you now feel the realtor is giving you the run around. Tell the manager that you want to view the apt with him/her and show them the damaged area, and then hit them with the illegal apt.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:57 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Do you have any photos showing the rug in your apt? If not, I could say I had a Picasso and unless I can show it in my home.......well you know what I mean.

Yes, if the receipt is not in your name and you can't prove you had it, forget about getting paid for the rug.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:10 PM

I have photos of everything I had to throw out including the rug in the apartment, the tile in the apartment is very unique and I have photos of everything, we have black mold, fuzzy mold, green mold and yellow mold! It's a nightmare!

Old 07-07-2013, 04:26 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
You're not still living there I hope for your kids sake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island