Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,295 times

Advertisements

looking for special ed school for kid 3-5 years old. can your friend recommend any schools if not a big problem? just moving in and trying to find out couple of things but its difficult with schools closed. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 03:20 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,208 times
I have always been a proponent of the Huntington School District, in spite of the naysayers. This district is diverse, but that can be a positive for your child especially since they will spend their lives needing to deal with people from diverse populations in college or careers. The old issue of gangs is long forgotten. The schools are as safe as anyone else's.

Huntington offers an excellent education as well. It has more AP courses than many of the smaller but wealthier districts. It's graduates go to the best colleges, including Ivies, and receive millions in scholarships total. The high school curriculum has so much to offer students who also enjoy music and the arts and those programs are renowned.

This coming year the district is opening a STEM school (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) for grades 3-5, students chosen by lottery after applying. It will expand in the future. This is very exciting and something that Harborfields does not have. The district is also going to be trying to get their full-day Kindergarten back, lost to budget cuts a few years ago.

There is an excellent new (2 yrs) Supt who has done great work here so far. Parents are very involved for the most part with very active PTA's in each building, a SEPTA and Booster Club for athletics. There is also a foundation that donates monies and equipment for teachers and various programs - it has raised millions over the years.

Huntington has survived a lot of bad raps over the years that it didn't deserve. The Board of Ed works hard for students, staff and the community and keeps taxes down every year. There are great homes here in all price ranges and frankly, you get a lot of educational quality for your school taxes.

Huntington Public Schools, NY

Old 08-14-2013, 08:10 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakret View Post
looking for special ed school for kid 3-5 years old. can your friend recommend any schools if not a big problem? just moving in and trying to find out couple of things but its difficult with schools closed. thank you!
My friend's daughter got services from DDI of Huntington. You can try there. Hope it helps.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
My friend's daughter got services from DDI of Huntington. You can try there. Hope it helps.
Not all children benefit from services at this location. Experienced that firsthand with my grandson. My daughter was able to get him into NSSA and he has blossomed!!
Then again, no two children on the spectrum are the same.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:34 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstaten View Post
If I may, I would recommend you call and ask for a tour of the school your child may be attending. This way you can do some serious assessing on your own. We are seriously considering a move to Huntington and I know some say that Harborfields is a better choice than Huntington schools. But consider this, a friend who is works in Special Ed at HH said after the shooting at Sandy Hook that she was so glad to go back to work where she knew all the faces and names. There was comfort in that it's not a particularly large school. Also, HH is more diverse. For me, this is something I'm looking for in a school district.
Are you saying that Harborfields is much larger than HH? I don't think so.

Harborfields has a much better reputation and tends to be rated much higher - along the lines of HHH, Three Village, and Smithtown in Suffolk, etc. The most recent exam results and ratings again show that. (Nitpicker alert: I am not attacking Huntington or South Huntington or even Northport Schools, I know great things happen there, I know there are numerous explanations for the test scores and rankings, etc here so relax).

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 08-15-2013 at 04:43 AM..

Old 08-16-2013, 06:26 AM

75 posts, read 142,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Are you saying that Harborfields is much larger than HH? I don't think so.

Harborfields has a much better reputation and tends to be rated much higher - along the lines of HHH, Three Village, and Smithtown in Suffolk, etc. The most recent exam results and ratings again show that. (Nitpicker alert: I am not attacking Huntington or South Huntington or even Northport Schools, I know great things happen there, I know there are numerous explanations for the test scores and rankings, etc here so relax).
I'd say the two schools are probably about the same size now. Harborfield's isn't as small as it used to be.

I agree HH gets an undeserved bad rap, and I'm a Harborfields grad!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:29 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead79 View Post
I'd say the two schools are probably about the same size now. Harborfield's isn't as small as it used to be.

I agree HH gets an undeserved bad rap, and I'm a Harborfields grad!
I agree - I rememember Harborfields as a smaller Conference IV school (like Elwood) and like you are probably surprised to see it approach the size of Conference III Huntington. (I think the last three or four years Harborfields has started to shrink fairly rapidly at the lower grades they now are in the very low 200's while the upper grades are about 300. Harborfields will probably head back to Conference IV to rejoin its old sports rival Elwood someday).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island