Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 AM

289 posts, read 399,740 times

Advertisements

the counter at the following places.
1-Bagel Shop
2-Deli
3-Dry Cleaners
4. Convenience Stores
And now located at the end of the checkout at the supermarket.
You have a tip jar. I always Tip for service rendered ( dining out , coat check etc) but now why is it expected to tip at the above establishments? I know some of the kids working at the bagel and deli's aren't getting paid a lot. That is up to the owner. My prices aren't reducing . Why is a tip assumed for counter help ( not sit down counter service) just regular line service. I understand the pay of the workers but a tip is for service not for the customer to expand ones hourly pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 07:14 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
At the supermarket>??? Now I've officially heard it all.

You're lucky they bag your groceries in NY, let alone carry them out to your car for you, and they want a tip.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 AM

186 posts, read 526,386 times
If you feel the service was good and the employee desrves a tip, tip em. If not don't. are you just upset because the tip jar is there? if so ignore it. What supermarket do you shop at? I prefer self check out, maybe I should tip myself?

Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
At the supermarket>??? Now I've officially heard it all.

You're lucky they bag your groceries in NY, let alone carry them out to your car for you, and they want a tip.
Carry your groceries to your car . Thanks for my daily laugh. I think that went out with gas attendants checking tire and oil levels. Really I couldn't believe it a tip jar on the grocery check out. What's really funny is the horrible counter service you receive. But I guess the person who is putting a tip in the jar, are the ones getting their order while walking in the door. PLEASE you want a tip. Let me count my change before cashing out the next in line . It is not like when little Johnny was in the supermarket parking lot helping you with the groceries. Yes then tip him of course.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvey103 View Post
If you feel the service was good and the employee desrves a tip, tip em. If not don't. are you just upset because the tip jar is there? if so ignore it. What supermarket do you shop at? I prefer self check out, maybe I should tip myself?
The tip jar causes problems for the ones who do not tip. Simpile counter breakfast order -sandwiche and coffee. Tip deserved no way. Now someone tips and they receive special consideration. Yes you are deserving of a tip at self check out.
1. They are saving money on additional employees
2. You are paying more in taxes to support the unemployed
3. You are working as a non paid employee
4. You are paying no less for your groceries.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlook View Post
Carry your groceries to your car . Thanks for my daily laugh rse.
I don't want to say anything but....

Old 07-08-2013, 08:51 AM

312 posts, read 516,359 times
Along similar lines, I don't like when everytime I check out at Walmart or a store they ask, "Would you like to donate $1, $2, to xyz organization?" This is where I lived in South Carolina, but I figured it is probably everywhere... Again, I just say no, but still. Do they do this at places on L.I. too?

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM

192 posts, read 354,973 times
I don't think a tip jar means that tip is assumed. I worked at TCBY in college -- we had a tip jar, but I don't think anyone "expected" a tip on a standard yogurt + topping order. It was a nice gesture that was appreciated, but most people did not tip.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:52 AM

45 posts, read 79,746 times
Unless you are disabled, why would anyone want help carrying their groceries to the car? That's just creepy.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't want to say anything but....
Not sure if they have them up in NC, but I'm not bringing up Publix...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: