Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:22 PM

245 posts, read 298,539 times

Advertisements

I'm tired of the "I Hate Long Island" thing in this page. Too much of it. If it were constructive, say, "Here is a problem with Long Island," that would be different. However, the same several people keep contributing to threads about why the island should be abandoned.

Tell me, what's right with Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 03:30 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,063 times
You mightve missed this a while back if you blinked.
What Do You Love About Your Town/Community?

The things that made moving hard(other than selling in this market).

C

Rocky Point

The rolling hills.

Friendship Beach

The CT lights on a clear Winters night.

The subtle hum of the Sound through my bedroom window in the Summer.

Amazing old trees and the sweet smell of the fall.

The overwhelming scent of pine in the Nature Preseve in the spring.

Log Cabins, Bungalows and Rocky Point Italian Bread.

Jogging on the bluffs of Soundview drive.

The local kids who work at McCarricks that offer my kid a prezel whenever I go in for milk.

Rocky Point Eagles Homecoming

Our rich radio history and fallen towers in the old RCA property.

Plumbers Professors Lawyers and Landscapers all on the same block.

Its hearty working class roots and character.

Kids a plenty.

Just far enough...Just close enough

1 min to the Sound

20 Min to the Ocean

90 min to NYC

Still relatively Land Rover and McMansion free.

Gateway to NoFo.

The best St Patty's Day, Mountain Bike Trails and Italian Bread on LI.

C

PS

Did I mention the bread?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:25 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I'm tired of the "I Hate Long Island" thing in this page. Too much of it. If it were constructive, say, "Here is a problem with Long Island," that would be different. However, the same several people keep contributing to threads about why the island should be abandoned.

Tell me, what's right with Long Island?
I think I've seen a similar post in the past .. anyway my two cents.

- best pizza in the country. Best bagels in the country.
- some of the best beaches in the world ! (and plenty of them are accessible to everyone, not just the wealthy).
- variety of scenery - north shore hills vs. south shore outwash plains. If you don't think the north shore is hilly try riding a bicycle in Northport.
- proximity to New York City and all the great things it offers.
- Montauk and Montauk Point.
- The North Fork Wine Country.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:54 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Everything!!!! <3

Old 11-09-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I think I've seen a similar post in the past .. anyway my two cents.

- best pizza in the country. Best bagels in the country.
- some of the best beaches in the world ! (and plenty of them are accessible to everyone, not just the wealthy).
- variety of scenery - north shore hills vs. south shore outwash plains. If you don't think the north shore is hilly try riding a bicycle in Northport.
- proximity to New York City and all the great things it offers.
- Montauk and Montauk Point.
- The North Fork Wine Country.
Proximity to the city- yes, depending on where you live. There are places in Rockland & Orange Counties that are closer to the city than some pts on the island.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
The type of people you find on Long Island stay on Long Island. They have to be somewhere.

Long Island gives them a place to go, so they don't make a nuisance of themselves elsewhere.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,583 times
I agree that Long Island has a lot of good things about it....but some of the best beaches in the WORLD? That poster has lost all credibility. I would say it has some of the best beaches in NY State...but thats about it.

Summer is nice...except for the monumental traffic and skyrocket (seasonal) pricing.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
I agree that Long Island has a lot of good things about it....but some of the best beaches in the WORLD? That poster has lost all credibility. I would say it has some of the best beaches in NY State...but thats about it.

Summer is nice...except for the monumental traffic and skyrocket (seasonal) pricing.
Don't say that poster lost all credibility...b/c he or she is entitled to their opinion...and to be honest, I could not agree more! We are so lucky to live here- Long island is beautiful, the beaches def. are the best, the people rock, everything about it rocks.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:30 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,384 times
Quote:

In The world might be a stretch, but in America is for sure. Check out the list of the top ten in the US
DrBeach.Org (http://drbeach.org/drbeach/best_beach_list.htm - broken link)

I love-

The Pine Barrens

Rocky North Shore beaches

The history of the whaling/fishing communities

My Lake

The color of the trees right now

The wildlife

being able to earn a good living

proximity to NYC for great medical care

The entire north fork sans the illegals in Greenport

there's plenty to love about LI, just as there is plenty to love about other places. Life is what you make of it, not what it makes of you.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:36 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
Quote:
I don't know. I have yet to be blown away by another country's beach. We're spoiled with LI's beaches. I'm always disappointed when I travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island