Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 AM

487 posts, read 545,236 times

Advertisements

I think that perhaps you should hold off until at least after grad school. If you want to invest perhaps look into a co-op. Job opportunities may change for you after grad school, perhaps one out of town with a place that has a lower cost of living. Even after paying off a mortgage, property taxes remain and only get higher. Hopefully once your girlfriend gets a job that will alleviate the burden on you. Long Island is a great place to live but extremely costly. Sad to say that is why so many young people have taken jobs elsewhere for a better quality/less costly lifestyle. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:00 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
I presume though that at 50K, holding off means renting which subsequently means it is eating into his savings and will be unable to save for a downpayment for many many years. Unless he were to rent in a dangerous neighborhood.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:02 AM

344 posts, read 717,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I presume though that at 50K, holding off means renting which subsequently means it is eating into his savings and will be unable to save for a downpayment for many many years. Unless he were to rent in a dangerous neighborhood.
Perhaps then no one with a HHI of $50k should buy real estate on Long Island. "Holding off" will allow him to sleep at night knowing he is not handcuffed to a mortgage and tax payment that eats into nearly his entire after-tax income. Owning a house in a decent area on LI has become (I guess, unfortunately) quite an accomplishment--one that is out of reach of many, many adults in their 20's.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:49 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
Well... if we use the old 28/34 rule......

28% of 50,000/12 = a monthly payment of $1166.66 PITI

34% = 1416.66

That'll just about cover taxes!

Old 07-16-2013, 09:52 AM

90 posts, read 216,771 times
How much do you plan to borrow? Did you travel back to 2006 to apply for your mortgage?

Old 07-16-2013, 10:01 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
The boyfriend and I are looking at houses (might have news on one in the next couple of days). He is having the burden of the mortgage since I am stuck with student loans myself, but I am able to supply the down payment thanks to life insurance money from my mom.

Combined, before taxes, the b/f and I make a little over 100k and that's still low for Long Island, sadly.

As for making 50K a year and owning a home on Long Island, that'll be tough. It also depends on the kind of down payment the OP is looking at. If he has a sizeable one (like more then half the house he is buying), it could be doable. However, 300-400k is rough for that salary. If you were a handy person, you could buy a smaller house, a handy man special for under 200k and put money into it. Maybe look into co-ops too.

It's tough, OP. It saddens and frustrates me how people my age (27) have a difficult time becoming homeowners on Long Island.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 AM

36 posts, read 64,958 times
The areas you are looking in : Lindenhurst, the Babylons, Deer Park, Mass Park: will make for a very long, and demanding commute to the city (if you wind up working there like you suspect).

I'm sorry i do not think it is possible to afford a house on 50K. Once you factor out about 28% of your salary for taxes, your take home salary will only be around $36,000. Divide that by 12 months and your monthly take home is $3,000 a month. Subtract mortgage (- $1,600), utilities (- $400.00), food (-$500.00), cell phone/tv (-$150), leave you with barely $350 a month.

That $350 a month left over money times 12 months equals $4,200. Not enough money to cover property taxes.

I would suggest both of yous go live with your parents and save your money for a year and a half and then see where you guys are now. Your gf should focus on paying off her own student loans asap before you guys buy a house. End of story. Do not get itno a money pit! good luck!

Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
The boyfriend and I are looking at houses (might have news on one in the next couple of days). He is having the burden of the mortgage since I am stuck with student loans myself, but I am able to supply the down payment thanks to life insurance money from my mom.

Combined, before taxes, the b/f and I make a little over 100k and that's still low for Long Island, sadly.

As for making 50K a year and owning a home on Long Island, that'll be tough. It also depends on the kind of down payment the OP is looking at. If he has a sizeable one (like more then half the house he is buying), it could be doable. However, 300-400k is rough for that salary. If you were a handy person, you could buy a smaller house, a handy man special for under 200k and put money into it. Maybe look into co-ops too.

It's tough, OP. It saddens and frustrates me how people my age (27) have a difficult time becoming homeowners on Long Island.
Why would you not payoff your student loans with the money instead of buying a home with your bf? Your income is currently going towards loans. What if either of you gets laid off? I'd rather have all my bills paid off instead of trying to figure out how to carry a mortgage on top of student loans. Just something to think about. Would paying off your loans take a big chunk out of the down payment? When I bought my house 5 years ago we did it debt free. No credit card, car or student loans to pay off and at the time we were making probably around $80k combined. We have 1 kid but still managed because we didn't have to worry about other debt. It's definitely doable on $100k but if your income has to be split with other loan payments then it can be a struggle. I'd pay off the student loans or at least a good portion of it but that's just me.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:18 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
Perhaps then no one with a HHI of $50k should buy real estate on Long Island. "Holding off" will allow him to sleep at night knowing he is not handcuffed to a mortgage and tax payment that eats into nearly his entire after-tax income. Owning a house in a decent area on LI has become (I guess, unfortunately) quite an accomplishment--one that is out of reach of many, many adults in their 20's.

That's why I recommend getting a mobile home first as a starter. Maybe this won't be in LI but they can find something in NJ. Then when circumstances change (ie, higher income, more savings), they can go buy a house in LI or somewhere else.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Why would you not payoff your student loans with the money instead of buying a home with your bf? Your income is currently going towards loans. What if either of you gets laid off? I'd rather have all my bills paid off instead of trying to figure out how to carry a mortgage on top of student loans. Just something to think about. Would paying off your loans take a big chunk out of the down payment? When I bought my house 5 years ago we did it debt free. No credit card, car or student loans to pay off and at the time we were making probably around $80k combined. We have 1 kid but still managed because we didn't have to worry about other debt. It's definitely doable on $100k but if your income has to be split with other loan payments then it can be a struggle. I'd pay off the student loans or at least a good portion of it but that's just me.
I'm in a bit of a crazy situation with my loans plus I have bankruptcy on my record currently, so it negates me even going on a loan for a long time. My mother left me money, but its nowhere near what I owe on loans (with all the capitalized interest and crazy fees, I'm in the 100k area. Also thanks to my scam of a school, many other of my classmates are in the same boat. The combination of The Art Institute and Sallie Mae are a lethal mix). I'm pretty much up sh!ts creek with my loans the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island