Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:52 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times

Advertisements

Move off of Long Island. The lifestyle you are trying to reach for will be insane and stressful. Very nice starter homes in North Carolina and Arizona will fit right in your budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 11:55 AM

344 posts, read 717,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Move off of Long Island. The lifestyle you are trying to reach for will be insane and stressful. Very nice starter homes in North Carolina and Arizona will fit right in your budget.
I agree, given OP's latest post. Start fresh elsewhere.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:58 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
It could be done if this was 1983 not 2013

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
From what I understand, OP cannot leave the NYC metro area since his employer paid for his graduate studies.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:25 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Talking No thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 516xo212 View Post
I would suggest both of yous go live with your parents and save your money for a year and a half and then see where you guys are now.
We are parents, and we would not let our kid come back home to live just because he wants to buy a house, and his girlfriend has student loans.

Sorry, but there's this little thing called reality and adulthood, and he simply can't afford the house that he wants on $50k. I'm certainly not going to enable him by having him move in with us, when we are enjoying our empty nest.

I bought my first house when I was single, making $40k. The house cost $40k and it was on the edge of a questionable neighborhood, but it was still my house, I could afford my car payment, electric, water, cable, food, entertainment, etc., without living paycheck to paycheck, and I could also afford homeowner emergencies.

Kids have to learn to grow up and get what they can afford, instead of leaning on Mommy & Daddy. My kids are 28 & 24 and both are renting, one has two kids and the other is single and about to buy her first house for $50k, and she makes $25k. We help them out when it's feasible, but not when there's something they could do on their own, or if some mindsets need to be changed to be more realistic.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:36 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
You have no business buying a house ANYWHERE on Long Island at this time, you simply cannot afford it. I don't know if you would be able to find a bank that will hand you a rope to hang yourself with, but if you do it will be a huge mistake. Rent until you complete graduate school. Then, see where you stand.

Frankly, I feel like housing prices are way overvalued on Long Island especially when you take property taxes into account. As they start to retire, many of these baby boomers are going to want to offload their overpriced homes, but who will be around to buy them? Gen X/Y are buried under massive student loan debt and simply won't be able to afford 11,000 in property taxes to pay the local Tammy the Teacher and Carl the Cop 150K in salary and early retirement that they are expecting and demanding. Things are going to eventually break around here and when they do it won't be pretty. Don't get left holding the bag when this happens.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
We are parents, and we would not let our kid come back home to live just because he wants to buy a house, and his girlfriend has student loans.

Sorry, but there's this little thing called reality and adulthood, and he simply can't afford the house that he wants on $50k. I'm certainly not going to enable him by having him move in with us, when we are enjoying our empty nest.

I bought my first house when I was single, making $40k. The house cost $40k and it was on the edge of a questionable neighborhood, but it was still my house, I could afford my car payment, electric, water, cable, food, entertainment, etc., without living paycheck to paycheck, and I could also afford homeowner emergencies.

Kids have to learn to grow up and get what they can afford, instead of leaning on Mommy & Daddy. My kids are 28 & 24 and both are renting, one has two kids and the other is single and about to buy her first house for $50k, and she makes $25k. We help them out when it's feasible, but not when there's something they could do on their own, or if some mindsets need to be changed to be more realistic.
Exactly... No handouts here.. We did what we had to do! Builds character and nothing wrong with hard work. I worked 60 hour weeks and my wife held down two jobs... Still could be done today or any era

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-16-2013, 12:49 PM

45 posts, read 79,751 times
Why not buy a co-op?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:53 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
You have no business buying a house ANYWHERE on Long Island at this time, you simply cannot afford it. I don't know if you would be able to find a bank that will hand you a rope to hang yourself with, but if you do it will be a huge mistake. Rent until you complete graduate school. Then, see where you stand.

Frankly, I feel like housing prices are way overvalued on Long Island especially when you take property taxes into account. As they start to retire, many of these baby boomers are going to want to offload their overpriced homes, but who will be around to buy them? Gen X/Y are buried under massive student loan debt and simply won't be able to afford 11,000 in property taxes to pay the local Tammy the Teacher and Carl the Cop 150K in salary and early retirement that they are expecting and demanding. Things are going to eventually break around here and when they do it won't be pretty. Don't get left holding the bag when this happens.

I couldn't agree more!! I've said the same thing. I can't understand why a house on LI is $400K but the same house or bigger is half as much in any other state.

On $50k a year, the OP can't buy a house on LI and forget the boroughs. He can possibly get away with a condo or co-op but maintenance fees can be ridiculously high. And if he's going to sink his savings into a down payment and then virtually his entire income on a mortgage, I wonder how he'll eat or handle an unexpected expense. Homeownership is a great and I'm lucky to be a home owner but all the other crap is what you have to worry about. Leaking pipes, wind blowing tiles off your roof, storm damage not covered by insurance...ugh.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogAdvice View Post
Why not buy a co-op?
Aside from requiring very high down payments, the co-op board will probably do a credit check on the GF (as they are supposed to do for all occupants) and will find that she has deminimus income and a huge student loan to pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island