Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightleopard654 View Post
I'm not familiar with Long Island's primary industry (tourism, maybe?)
Princesses, mediums, Buttafuco's, stucco and ex-pats that can't stop talking about the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,764,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I am a young person and everyone I know stays here and buys a house. Not sure what you are talking about.
I think you mean they try to stay and buy a house. That is unless you and your friends have bundles of cash. The young people I know try to stay close to Mom and Dad here on LI but can't afford a decent starter house.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,150,444 times
The young and educated are not hitting the road, they are hitting their parents basements.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
What industry?

Detroit doesn't have a nearby world class city to fall back on.
Oh sorry i forgot the nanny city were sneezing is the next law to get passed get real that city is a joke.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
I think you mean they try to stay and buy a house. That is unless you and your friends have bundles of cash. The young people I know try to stay close to Mom and Dad here on LI but can't afford a decent starter house.
I agree. Lots of them attempt to stay, maybe they succeed for a little bit, but ultimately they figure out they can't do it or they continue to live house poor.

There are lots of people I know (one of my friends is moving to Florida on Sunday, my best friend is in Florida too, another friend moved back home to Texas), who are upping and leaving or who have left. It's really unfortunate the way young people are unable to stick around here. I feel lucky in the sense that I have a full time job with benefits on the Island, but I wish the same for so many people in my life.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Reading this just gives me the willies.

The majority of LI whom is not rich, is likely not in for good times.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM

192 posts, read 355,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I routinely talk with people in the city, and when I mention that I'm from Long Island, I usually get a response to the effect of, "Oh, cool! I want to move there in a few years" either when they have kids, or because they want peace and quiet with NYC proximity.
I have never, ever experienced that.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post

I think Forbes either needs a fact checker or they're missing a zero or 2. I just checked real estate in Detroit and I didn't see ANYTHING for $7000. There's actually a very nice home for $49,000 and I'm wondering if that's right compared to the listings.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
I don't see long island as the next Detroit. I see it as the next Beverly hills. Eventually it will be the rich and famous who live here due to the proximity to NY City .

if you actually go out and look and ignore this site a lot of houses in decent areas don't stay on the market for too long.

Heck I am waiting for places like Lindenhurst to get all the sandy damaged houses to get brought by a developer and mansions to be built. Developers buying 3 and 4 properties and combining them for 1 big property.

I see all the poor leaving and rich moving in. I think there might be a 5 -10 year transition but I see it becoming like the areas in California where all the stars live.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyvegan View Post
I have never, ever experienced that.
I have coworkers who have moved to LI. Just recently: In March one moved to Great Neck. In June one moved to Syosset. I work in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island