Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 09:00 AM

247 posts, read 181,338 times

Advertisements

by David McElroy

If you dig beneath the surface of most politicians, you’ll find a narcissist. Once you understand who narcissists really are — and what it is they crave — there’s nothing surprising about it. The only surprise is how few people notice it. For more than 20 years, I’ve worked with dozens of politicians. By dealing with them in very stressful situations — when their careers and egos are on the line — I’ve seen sides of many of them that the public never sees. So I’m willing to say without question that most of them are narcissists. Read more Don’t be surprised when an insane system produces narcissistic leaders « David McElroy

But my theory is that LINY has some of the most selfish voters in the country and that is the reason for the highest property tax and other taxes in the country. First you have the people that work for the system so they always vote for more. Then you have the people who can afford the tax extortion with little pain so they vote for more in hopes of "better services" LOL they can hope ha ha !

Its my theory that due to the very high rates of narcissism on LI is that few of the yes voters ever think of how their actions harm so many others who are struggling. Who cares about my neighbor who is struggling badly, I want more taxes cause I have a government job ! They are so selfish both these groups don't even consider their struggling neighbors at voting time.

I think my theory of selfishness and narcissism being the root of LIs problems is correct. Look how most of them behave compared to people in the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 09:04 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,272,295 times
It’s what you get when 50% are higher end earners and 50% are Grubers.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:09 AM

I miss spelled narsasim , why doesn't spell chech do the tittle ?

Old 07-28-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It’s what you get when 50% are higher end earners and 50% are Grubers.
I think its more complicated then that, the tax situation is almost 50% parasites (government people) and 50% hosts (everyone else).

But its not 50-50, hosts still outnumber the parasites and can vote it away so I am going to still go with my narcissism theory.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:19 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,550,361 times
Most people don't bother to vote at all......more like apathy.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Most people don't bother to vote at all......more like apathy.

That is true, the choice of criminal A or criminal B doesn't exactly have people running to the polls.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:59 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,054,188 times
What KB said (about voter apathy) although we can argue about the reasons for it. I personally am not of the opinion that it's always a choice between two evils. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I don't like to stereotype certain parts of the country (or groups of people) although I see it done a lot. To say "Most Long Islanders are selfish" is comparable IMHO to saying "Most Southerners are racists" or "Most Californians are airheads." I'm always leery of generalizations and whatever prompts them. All they engender, in most cases, is a case of tunnel vision.

Maybe it's because I've lived all my life on LI and never known anyone who had a government job, and it's only recently that a teacher joined the family. I had a relative in law enforcement but he was in Boston, not on LI. So nobody I've known has ever been part of what some describe as the "gravy train" of LI employment. I certainly have no dog in that fight.

Do I wish my property taxes were lower? Yes. Am I willing to relocate to a different part of the country in order to achieve that goal? No.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:00 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,965,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenKW View Post
I miss spelled narsasim , why doesn't spell chech do the tittle ?
Dang you need spelling help

Old 07-28-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I don't like to stereotype certain parts of the country

I wasn't stereo typing I was having a scientific discussion on the prevailing culture in the area.

Its Saturday, look outside at all the people slaving away on their stupid lawns to satisfy that constant need for admiration that goes with narcissistic personality. My lawn is so greener then yours look at me and admire ! Look at my McMansion, I want you to think I am rich but I am way way over my head in debt but please admire me.

Old 07-28-2018, 10:29 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,054,188 times
Okay, I'll bite. :-)

How do you know what the motivation is for "all those people"? Maybe some of them take pride in how their property looks, simply because that's how THEY want it to look. For themselves, not because of what others may think of it or some arbitrary standard.

I've been an avid gardener for more than 40 years and I can absolutely tell you that when I decide what to do with my property, what others do with theirs or may think of mine makes ZERO difference to me. (That's one reason why I would never live in an HOA.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island