Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:37 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times

Advertisements

I got a ticket in the mail the other day for "not stopping at a red light" in Nassau County and the fee is $80. In the picture you can see my car slowing down or semi stopping at the light and making a right turn. I did not blow a red light, just didn't stop fully at the red light and proceeded to make a right turn.
There were no "No turn on red" signs on this street and it is legal to make a right on this street so I assume that the ticket was for not making a complete stop.

$80 is a lot of money for this minor traffic infraction and I really don't think I was doing anything wrong. I slowed down at the light and made a legal right turn.

Now I have a dilemma. Should I just pay the fine or fight it in court? Would fighting this fine require me to go to that awful court house in Hempstead and spending a day there? Causing me to a loss of wages or time. I may end up still having to pay the fine which would be a waste of time and money.

Has anyone fought a similar traffic infraction and was it worth fighting it in court? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:43 PM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
You are supposed to come to a complete stop before turning right on red. Buck up and save yourself some time.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:44 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
you got the ticket for not coming to a full stop . I am not sure what you are fighting.

the cameras are programmed to flash if they do not see a full stop on red

Old 07-22-2013, 12:45 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Got a similar one in Suffolk. Viewed the linked video and my car and several others slowed and took a permitted right on red. I had trouble figuring out what I did wrong since there was absolutely no other traffic in any direction at the wide open intersection. Forgot the full stop rule.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:47 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Please attempt fight the ticket so you can be told what the law is and how you did not follow it.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:50 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I got a ticket in the mail the other day for "not stopping at a red light" in Nassau County and the fee is $80. In the picture you can see my car slowing down or semi stopping at the light and making a right turn. I did not blow a red light, just didn't stop fully at the red light and proceeded to make a right turn.
There were no "No turn on red" signs on this street and it is legal to make a right on this street so I assume that the ticket was for not making a complete stop.

$80 is a lot of money for this minor traffic infraction and I really don't think I was doing anything wrong. I slowed down at the light and made a legal right turn.

Now I have a dilemma. Should I just pay the fine or fight it in court? Would fighting this fine require me to go to that awful court house in Hempstead and spending a day there? Causing me to a loss of wages or time. I may end up still having to pay the fine which would be a waste of time and money.

Has anyone fought a similar traffic infraction and was it worth fighting it in court? Thanks.
I'm confused. If they sent you a still picture, how can anyone see you "slowing down"? You are 100% wrong. You failed to stop, which is a traffic violation. Cost you $80 to learn your lesson and follow traffic laws.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:52 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
My DH got a similar ticket. We just paid it, its not worth the aggravation, especially since he really didn't stop.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Got a similar one in Suffolk. Viewed the linked video and my car and several others slowed and took a permitted right on red. I had trouble figuring out what I did wrong since there was absolutely no other traffic in any direction at the wide open intersection. Forgot the full stop rule.
This ticket caught me off guard because I've been making a right on this street all the time without coming to a full stop. Did you fight yours or just paid it?

I've paid my tickets in the past and they were usually around $45-$55. $80 seems pretty steep considering I didn't blow the light. Just slowed down and made a right turn. I'm contemplating whether or not its worth fighting it and trying to get it dismissed.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm confused. If they sent you a still picture, how can anyone see you "slowing down"? You are 100% wrong. You failed to stop, which is a traffic violation. Cost you $80 to learn your lesson and follow traffic laws.
THere are 2 pictures of my car. One of my car clearly (showing my brake lights going on) slowing down and another of my car making a right.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
$80 seems pretty steep considering I didn't blow the light. Just slowed down and made a right turn.
What do you think "blowing a light" means? You went through a red light without coming to a complete stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island