Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times

Advertisements

I spoke to the owners. Wrote letter back and forth. What do you do when they say "we are so sorry"? That's how it was over and over. What good is the I'm sorry when I was awoken ever couple of hours all night. I called the cops and code enforcement tons of times. They come. They knock on the door at 2am. I had to wait out there for them to let me know that no one usually answered the door, except for their illegal tenant,who would let the dog in. Too late. The damage was done. What good is it that they got told to bring the dog inside or got a fine. I was the idiot who was up all night and waiting outside night after night waiting for the cops to show up. Either way, my quality of life was pure hell. You can't comment on it until it happens to you with the frequency it did to us. First it wa one dog, then two and then three,. Of course the trash that lived there had a cousin and sits living there totaling 3 families, all with dogs. There was no rest.

When we moved here, all was quiet. S quiet I couldn't believe it. Until, one night, I heard a loud dog barking. Then it was gone. Then again the next night. Turned out that the lady next door let her daughter and son in law move back in with their dog. So, after the3rd night, the dog barked from 10 - 10:30 pm. I reached my boiling point. I said to myself...not again. S, I went next door and knocked and rang th bell over and over until they answered. I told them their dog has been barking and preventing us from sleeping and that I will ring their bell every time the dog barks. Needless to say, it never happened again. Ten again, the daughter moved out right after. So, I do know that if it ever happens again, I will riing the neighbor's bell or knock, no what the time, until the noise stops. If you or your dog is going to disturb me and. Y family, I will do the same to your family. I probably should have done that in my last house but it really wouldn't have worked. Inconsiderate idiots are not reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 08:33 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Go complain at Village Hall............seriously. See last paragraph. The Village does take it seriously.

It's right here in the Village Code:

§ 36-9.1 Care and maintenance.

Email
Print

Chapter 36: ANIMALS, FOWL AND INSECTS

Article II: Dogs

[Amended 12-17-1979 by L.L. No. 43-1979, effective 1-1-1980]

§ 36-6 Definitions.

§ 36-7 License and identification required.

§ 36-8 Identification tag required.

§ 36-9 Change of ownership; lost or stolen dog.

§ 36-10 Dog control officer.

§ 36-11 Dogs at large prohibited.

§ 36-12 Seizure of dogs.

§ 36-13 Redemption periods; notice of seizure.

§ 36-14 Redemption of dogs.

§ 36-15 Disposition of unredeemed dogs.

§ 36-16 Penalties for offenses.

§ 36-17 Continued violations constitute separate offenses.

§ 36-18 Jurisdiction of Village Justice Court.

§ 36-19 Implementation of statute.

§ 36-6 Definitions.

[Amended 12-1-1986 by L.L. No. 4-1986, effective 12-22-1986]
For the purposes of Articles II and III of this chapter, the following definitions, as well as those set forth in Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law, effective January 1, 1980, and amendments thereto, shall apply: ADOPTIONThe delivery to any individual 18 years of age or older, for the purpose of harboring a pet, of any unredeemed dog impounded pursuant to the provisions of this article or Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law.AT LARGE Any dog that is unleashed and on property open to the public or, leashed or unleashed, is on private property not owned or leased by the owner of the dog, unless permission for such presence has been obtained. No dog shall be deemed to be at large if it is:
A. A guide dog actually leading a blind person;

B. A police work dog in use for police work; or

C. Accompanied by its owner or other responsible person and is actively engaged in hunting or training for hunting on unposted land or on posted land with the permission of the owner of the land.
COMMISSIONERThe State Commissioner of Agriculture and Markets.DOGAny number of the species canis familiaris.HARBORTo provide food or shelter to any dog.IDENTIFICATION TAGA tag which sets forth an official identification number as required by the provisions of Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law.IDENTIFIED DOGAny dog carrying an identification tag as provided in Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law.LEASHEDA dog which is effectively restrained in the immediate custody and control of the owner or custodian of the dog by a chain or leash not exceeding six feet in length.OWNERAny person who harbors or keeps any dog.

[Amended 6-11-2012 by L.L. No. 2-2012]
No person shall own, harbor or keep a dog within the Village of Sea Cliff unless such dog is licensed and identified as required under the Agriculture and Markets Law of the State of New York. Editor's Note: See Agriculture and Markets Laws, Art. 7. Effective January 1, 2011, the Village of Sea Cliff has authorized the Town of Oyster Bay to carry out the licensing functions for all dogs owned, harbored or kept by a person in the Village of Sea Cliff. All persons owning, harboring or keeping a dog within the Village of Sea Cliff shall obtain a license from the Town of Oyster Bay.

The identification number assigned to each dog shall be carried by such dog on an identification tag which shall be affixed to a collar on the dog at all times during which the dog is not on the premises of the owner.

A. If a change in ownership of any dog which has been assigned an official identification number or in the address of the owner of record of any such dog, the owner of record shall, within 10 days of such change, file with the Town of Oyster Bay a written report of such change. Such owner of record shall be liable for any violation of Article II of this chapter or of Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law until such filing is made or until the dog is licensed in the name of the new owner.

B. If any dog that has been assigned an official identification number is lost or stolen, the owner of record shall, within 10 days of the discovery of such loss or theft, file with the Town of Oyster Bay a written report of such loss or theft. The owner of record of any such dog shall not be liable for any violation of Article II of this chapter or of Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law committed after such report is filed.

[Added 7-10-1995 by L.L. No. 2-1995]
Any person who owns, possesses or harbors an animal or bird shall care for, maintain and handle said animal or bird in a manner which shall be sanitary and which shall prevent fighting. No person who owns, possesses or harbors any animal or bird shall make, cause or permit such animal or bird to howl, bark, meow, squawk, whine or make other sounds for a continuous or frequent period of time in a manner which annoys, disturbs or interferes with the comfort, repose, peace or reasonable and normal activities of a reasonable person of normal sensitivities lawfully occupying an area adjacent to or in the vicinity of the source of the sound, taking into account the time of day and the duration of the sound.

Last edited by ocngypz; 07-22-2013 at 08:42 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 08:46 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
Barge in and complian expect nothing else from my fellow long islanders.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:07 PM

6 posts, read 12,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Go complain at Village Hall............seriously. See last paragraph. The Village does take it seriously.

It's right here in the Village Code:

Email
Print

Chapter 36: ANIMALS, FOWL AND INSECTS

Article II: Dogs

[Amended 12-17-1979 by L.L. No. 43-1979, effective 1-1-1980]

§ 36-6 Definitions.

§ 36-10 Dog control officer.

§ 36-11 Dogs at large prohibited.

§ 36-12 Seizure of dogs.

§ 36-13 Redemption periods; notice of seizure.

§ 36-14 Redemption of dogs.

§ 36-15 Disposition of unredeemed dogs.

§ 36-16 Penalties for offenses.

§ 36-17 Continued violations constitute separate offenses.

§ 36-18 Jurisdiction of Village Justice Court.

§ 36-19 Implementation of statute.

§ 36-6 Definitions.

[Amended 12-1-1986 by L.L. No. 4-1986, effective 12-22-1986]
For the purposes of Articles II and III of this chapter, the following definitions, as well as those set forth in Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law, effective January 1, 1980, and amendments thereto, shall apply: ADOPTIONThe delivery to any individual 18 years of age or older, for the purpose of harboring a pet, of any unredeemed dog impounded pursuant to the provisions of this article or Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law.AT LARGE Any dog that is unleashed and on property open to the public or, leashed or unleashed, is on private property not owned or leased by the owner of the dog, unless permission for such presence has been obtained. No dog shall be deemed to be at large if it is:
A. A guide dog actually leading a blind person;

B. A police work dog in use for police work; or

C. Accompanied by its owner or other responsible person and is actively engaged in hunting or training for hunting on unposted land or on posted land with the permission of the owner of the land.
COMMISSIONERThe State Commissioner of Agriculture and Markets.DOGAny number of the species canis familiaris.HARBORTo provide food or shelter to any dog.IDENTIFICATION TAGA tag which sets forth an official identification number as required by the provisions of Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law.IDENTIFIED DOGAny dog carrying an identification tag as provided in Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law.LEASHEDA dog which is effectively restrained in the immediate custody and control of the owner or custodian of the dog by a chain or leash not exceeding six feet in length.OWNERAny person who harbors or keeps any dog.

No person shall own, harbor or keep a dog within the Village of Sea Cliff unless such dog is licensed and identified as required under the Agriculture and Markets Law of the State of New York. Editor's Note: See Agriculture and Markets Laws, Art. 7. Effective January 1, 2011, the Village of Sea Cliff has authorized the Town of Oyster Bay to carry out the licensing functions for all dogs owned, harbored or kept by a person in the Village of Sea Cliff. All persons owning, harboring or keeping a dog within the Village of Sea Cliff shall obtain a license from the Town of Oyster Bay.

The identification number assigned to each dog shall be carried by such dog on an identification tag which shall be affixed to a collar on the dog at all times during which the dog is not on the premises of the owner.

A. If a change in ownership of any dog which has been assigned an official identification number or in the address of the owner of record of any such dog, the owner of record shall, within 10 days of such change, file with the Town of Oyster Bay a written report of such change. Such owner of record shall be liable for any violation of Article II of this chapter or of Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law until such filing is made or until the dog is licensed in the name of the new owner.

B. If any dog that has been assigned an official identification number is lost or stolen, the owner of record shall, within 10 days of the discovery of such loss or theft, file with the Town of Oyster Bay a written report of such loss or theft. The owner of record of any such dog shall not be liable for any violation of Article II of this chapter or of Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law committed after such report is filed.

[Added 7-10-1995 by L.L. No. 2-1995]
Any person who owns, possesses or harbors an animal or bird shall care for, maintain and handle said animal or bird in a manner which shall be sanitary and which shall prevent fighting. No person who owns, possesses or harbors any animal or bird shall make, cause or permit such animal or bird to howl, bark, meow, squawk, whine or make other sounds for a continuous or frequent period of time in a manner which annoys, disturbs or interferes with the comfort, repose, peace or reasonable and normal activities of a reasonable person of normal sensitivities lawfully occupying an area adjacent to or in the vicinity of the source of the sound, taking into account the time of day and the duration of the sound.
nice! I looked on that site and didn't see this...I only looked under noise ordinance.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:15 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny4747 View Post
nice! I looked on that site and didn't see this...I only looked under noise ordinance.
Hurry! you might make newsday and become a hero!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Why in the world would she move in with a barking Doberman next door? I was in that situation and while it sounds tedious to you, our life was a living hell. All day. All night. We couldn't sleep. It woke up our infant and our 2nd baby a couple of years later. We were so miserable living there that after 7 years of paying $3000 a month for our mortgage, we sold it at a major loss. We paid over $200,000 over the course of our time there and walked out with nothing. We lost everything. We have been renting a house in Nassau for $2200/ mo and we feel it is the best thing we ever did. Complete peace and quiet. Every night. It feels great. We used to dread going home, leaving work, weekends, etc. people are so friggin inconsiderate. Like I said, it will be their own personal hell that they will be living. There's nothing like trying to watch tv, or read a book on the weekend, or sleep at night when all of a sudden...... Woof! Woof! Woof! Woof! The only thing more annoying than the barking is the audacity of the neighbors for having no respect for her. She will be calling code enforcement and the police. Then the neighbors will be more spiteful and let it happen even more often.mpeople love their dogs. You cannot insult them. Since you are the new ones on the block, you will feel real uncomfortable asking the neighbors if they could try and keep it down. Get out before you hate living there. Good luck.
Jeez, I thought the OP was being a little too picky. But this is just crazy! You lost everything ....EVERYTHING?!! over the neighbor's dog barking? I would've called Animal Control, the town, and the cops every day if it was that bad. I would have even tried bribing the neighbors with cash or gifts if they could keep the dog quiet (The guy in this video is pretty clever):

How to Get rid of a BAD Neighbor - YouTube

As a last resort, I would look into possibly soundproofing the walls before taking a huge loss like that.

Also, ocngypz mentioned Sea Cliff being a village with their specific code violation. I'm almost certain the OP could pursue that method to get them repeatedly fined until they stop the noise. OP should check with the village before giving up on their dream home.
People always talk down the "multiple layers" of government we have here on LI, but sometimes it can make a huge difference living in a good village. You would be surprised how quickly village gov't responds to your concerns. The increased taxes are negligible in most cases unless the village has its own PD.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Having lived in a village and having neighbors that made me want to move I have to disagree with the above...the PD tires of these complaints and become slower to respond and people like this don't care so much about the visits from Officer Friendly...and Officer Friendly knows the offender pays their salary as well. And who wants to buy a house knowing right off the bat they are going to be calling the cops on people. Sea Cliff ain't cheap either to put up with that crap.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny4747 View Post
My husband and I are finally about to buy a home in our dream location of Sea Cliff, NY. It's taken us 2 years to narrow down the location and we finally found a great house in our budget. We've been in negotiations for a few days, trying to decide on a price. We have also been visiting the street and sitting outside to get a feel for what it will be like living there, and also driving around the area to get to know the community.

A few times when we did this, we saw and heard a doberman next door, separated only by shrubbery from the patio of our house, barking incessantly. We didn't hear the dog every time we saw the house with the listing agent, which makes me thing she had the neighbors put the dog away.

Today I visited and asked the mail carrier what the dog was like and she said "it's always out there every day barking."

Now we are about to agree on a price within a matter of days or hours, and we don't know if we want it. This is the only house in our desired location in our budget that is livable for a growing family. There is nothing else. If we don't buy it, we just have to keep renting and waiting for something else to come on the market. But if we buy it, we might go crazy with that dog next door!

Advice? What would you do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Why not? She stated this was the first time she heard it bark after several visits to the house. When one's been searching for years, a mail carrier's comment about a barking dog should not be enough to pass... our mailman would say the same about my dog, and she rarely barks if someone's not walking on our property.

Did you actually read what the OP said??

OP, I can tell you it's very frustrating hearing dogs bark day and night. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE animals and have a dog. My neighbor had 4 dogs at one time and had them all removed because she left them outside virtually 24/7. Over the past 2 years she's adopted or bought 3 more. And they fricken bark all the time when she leaves them outside. What's stopping this dog from going onto your property? Honestly, I would pass if I knew the dog was outside the majority of the time.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:35 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Having lived in a village and having neighbors that made me want to move I have to disagree with the above...the PD tires of these complaints and become slower to respond and people like this don't care so much about the visits from Officer Friendly...and Officer Friendly knows the offender pays their salary as well. And who wants to buy a house knowing right off the bat they are going to be calling the cops on people. Sea Cliff ain't cheap either to put up with that crap.
When there is a code violation, it's a different story. The village can usually fine them at its discretion. Big difference between something that just bothers you, and something that is a clear violation. Mass Park did this with people neglecting lawn/house maintenance (particularly neglected bank owned homes becoming huge eyesores,safety concerns, and it worked).

Old 07-23-2013, 01:07 PM

200 posts, read 379,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Did you actually read what the OP said??

OP, I can tell you it's very frustrating hearing dogs bark day and night. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE animals and have a dog. My neighbor had 4 dogs at one time and had them all removed because she left them outside virtually 24/7. Over the past 2 years she's adopted or bought 3 more. And they fricken bark all the time when she leaves them outside. What's stopping this dog from going onto your property? Honestly, I would pass if I knew the dog was outside the majority of the time.
I never understood that. What is the point of having a dog or dogs for companionship if all you are going to do is leave them outside all day?

I have 3 myself, and when my dogs go out to do their thing, I go out with them. Unless they want to lay in the sun for a bit, I never leave them out unless I am with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island