Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 04:26 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Having lived in a village and having neighbors that made me want to move I have to disagree with the above...the PD tires of these complaints and become slower to respond and people like this don't care so much about the visits from Officer Friendly...and Officer Friendly knows the offender pays their salary as well. And who wants to buy a house knowing right off the bat they are going to be calling the cops on people. Sea Cliff ain't cheap either to put up with that crap.
Twingles is right on the mark!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 04:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny4747 View Post
What do you guys think about asking the neighbors if anything has been done? I don't want them to think a couple of annoying crazies might be moving in, but then again they should be familiar with the dog owner, or maybe even have tried to do something about the dog in the past.
I say since (1) you already personally witnessed the barking yourself a couple of times and (2) the mailman told you it's always out there barking, unless everyone on the block is deaf do you really think nobody has ever complained before you happened along?

And why would you think you are an annoying crazy?

And if people tried to do something about it, they have spectacularly FAILED at getting anything done about the barking.

That should tell you something about living there.

But definitely ask the neighbors, ask the mailman if he heard people have complained, even ask at the Village Hall.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:35 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
NCPD only wants to hear from the citizens if (1) there's an accident report to fill out, (2) someone is bleeding or hurt, or (3) someone stole something. They don't care about barking dogs and will take 2-3 hours to respond, especially for repeat calls. Village code enforcement may or may not be effective depending on the Village. However, if the dog is barking and she heard it, and the mailman told her it goes on constantly, how much you wanna bet people have already complained and it failed?
Yup....one of the many offenses I dealt with, with said neighbor, was when he sided his house. I knew - just knew - this was going to be an all night affair. Sure enough he's out there at 9:00 still hammering away, klieg lights set up so it's like daylight, etc etc. Called the police "sure we'll come" (little lady was unspoken).

After almost having a coronary for the next 90 minutes (read: it's now 10:30 p.m., still no end in sight) my DH calls the police before I sought out the nearest weapon, and gets "that guy is still out there?" My DH says "did you come or not?" They sheepishly admitted, no they did not, because they "couldn't believe it would really go on much longer when you called at 9:00". Thanks, Officer Friendly. You are well worth your $150K salary for keeping the village cats safe from trees. God knows the million other times I and every other neighbor in shouting distance called the police on this guy did no good at all. We were just happy to get away as his kids were reaching their teen years (and their friends were starting to rob them, but that's another story).

Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM

200 posts, read 379,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I would pass on this house and let the sellers know why. Life is too short to put up with a barking dog. Yes, you can complain to the authorities. That's a great way to get to know your new neighbors.

I can remember seeing a great house in Merrick, but when I leaned over the back fence, all I could see was junked cars in the neighbor's yard. I knew that could mean late-night engines racing, oil smells and lights burning at a time when I just wanted some peace in my backyard. Of course, we passed on the place and are glad we did.

We recently moved into a townhome complex and there are three dogs in our row of four homes. We have gotten to know both the neighbors and their dogs. While the dogs bark occasionally, the neighbors are considerate enough to quiet them down very quickly. You hardly know the dogs are there.

What you have in this Sea Cliff home is not a barking dog, but inconsiderate neighbors. If they're not aware of the incessant barking, it means they will also be oblivious to other annoyances. The dog may be the least of the problems at that location.

Move on.
Excellent post and reasoning. I would pass for all the reasons you said. If they are oblivious to their dog barking what else are they going to torture you with since they seem to be inconsiderate people.

Its not worth it. Find another house.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
[quote=trusso11783;30631565]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783;30631565;30627125Jeez, I thought the OP was being a little too picky. But this is just crazy! You lost everything ....EVERYTHING?!! over the neighbor's dog barking? I would've called Animal Control, the town, and the cops every day if it was that bad. I would have even tried bribing the neighbors with cash or gifts if they could keep the dog quiet As a last resort, I would look into possibly soundproofing the walls before taking a huge loss like that.quote

We did not want to take a loss like that but having our sanity back is priceless. Sounds crazy until you are the one who is living in hell. Its so easy to tell someone to deal with the noise, or keep calling the cops. Those people can go home in some sort of peace. I called hundreds of times. It barely helped for an hour each time. It wasnt just the dogs though. A big part was the jackass teenage son who played lacrosse in the yard daily, wailing the ball at one of those canvas nets that bounce the ball back. That was worse than the barking. THUD! THUD! THUD! THUD! Of course, the net was right at the corner of our property, facing our bedroom window 15' away. You could feel the air movement. It was like having a pounding headache. Lets not mention the balls that flew over the fence into our yard. I spoke to an attorney and he told me to send them a certified letter informing the parents that over 25 balls have come into our yard and if one of them were to hit anyone, especially our 3 and 1 year old, it could be fatal and they would be 100% legally resposible. Of course, they did it even more after that. It sounds like I am one of those neighbors that complain about everything, but I am not. If it is not stop and ruining our quality of life, I am not allowing it without fighting. They are completely in the wrong. I have a right to live in some sort of peace.

A few months before I sold my house, I was damned if I was going to live through another summer of their crap so I actually got all new double pane vinyl windows in our bedroom. It did very little but it made it a little better. My friends thought I was crazy to blow nearly $1000 for a few months of slightly less noise. It was worth it to me.

It isnt just me. There was a new house built across the street from me the year before I moved. So, My neighbor was behind me and my new neighbor was across the street. Since I moved, he knocked on this guy's door multiple times demanding the balls stop coming on his lawn, and the dog stop getting out and crapping on his lawn. Keep in mind, I was 15' away. This guy had my house, the street and his front lawn between them and he couldnt take it.Thats how bad it was. They are just typical inconsiderate trash. Plain and simple. My niece came over one day and brought her pomeranian dog. She brought it in the yard. It barked a few times and I freaked out and told her to bring it in because I didnt want to disturb the neighbors. That is how I am . I was raised to be considerate of others.

As for calling the cops and code enforcement, these idiots told me that were wondering who was calling the cops and the town all the time. They said they had plenty of family and friends at the precinct. That made sense. It all came to a boil when I called the code enforcement dept one night. It was around midnight. Dog was barking like crazy. They said they would send someone over. I waited an hour or so. Around 1am or 1:30, I heard the dog barking like crazy. i called them back and asked where the officer was . She told me he was there right now. Another 10 minutes of barking and I saw a car drive away. I called back and asked where he is and was told he left. I asked what happened. She said he was there, waited half an hour and left becasue he heard nothing. I asked her if he was crazy? I told her that the dog was barking for 30 minutes right outside of his car and heard nothing??? She said he would come back. Keep in mind this was going on from midnight to nearly 2 am. He came back and said he didnt hear a thing. I told him the dog was barking outside of his car for 30 minutes. He didnt hear it. I told him to come into my yard. The dog started barking like crazy. I said SEE? There it is again. He said, well, he;s gonna bark if you start making noise by stepping on twigs. I asked if he was serious. I told him that we have 14 trees. Sticks fall all night long. He said he had to witness the dog barking 15 minutes non stop for it to be a violation. I told him that already happened. He said that he didnt hear anything. What a friggin joke they are! Then again, if they know people in the dept, they will look the other way, huh? I have a letter from the neighbor stating that they have friends there.

So, why did I leave? If you think I dont have better things to do than call cops and code enforcement, videotaping, audiotaping, etc all hours of the night when I work a normal 9-5 job trying to keep my family afloat, then you are crazy. That is no way to live. At least when I moved in, these *******s were not living there. If I heard one hint of it (and we are looking to buy a house right now) ot hear any hint of it now, I would have, and will stay away. Dog owners who allow their dogs to bark are *******s. Plain and simple. Noone wants to hear their dogs. If a dog barks non stop all day or night, guess what? He doesnt want to be out there. Stop buying dogs and making us listen to them when you can lock out the sound by closing the door. I had plenty of friends who wanted to poison the dog with steak, shoot them with pellets or bbs, etc. I didnt want to hurt the dog. It isnt their fault they have idiots for owners. If anything, shoot them.

STAY AWAY. Listen to the mailman. No one knows the neighborhood better than him.Go more often. Go at night on a weekend.
Sounds brutal, damn. Makes a little more sense now.
With the mailman, a lot of dogs will bark until he's out of sight. That's almost universal. It could be that's why he always hears it. OP should also ask how old the dog is...who knows, it could be on its last leg if it's nearing 9-10 years old. It's also possible that the neighbors could end up moving in the near future... or even if you buy in what appears to be a "safe" area regarding neighbors, you never know who will move in or out in the future.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:24 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Default Barking Dog in Sea Cliff

Believe me the greatest invention of the 20th century was the bark collar...

I trained my dog with it... And sometimes he needs a gently reminder! Keeps everyone happy especially the neighbors

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-23-2013, 06:06 PM

6 posts, read 12,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

OP should also ask how old the dog is...who knows, it could be on its last leg if it's nearing 9-10 years old. It's also possible that the neighbors could end up moving in the near future... or even if you buy in what appears to be a "safe" area regarding neighbors, you never know who will move in or out in the future.
The dog has a white face so I know it's old...but I assume the owners would probably get a new one when the doberman dies.

And I've thought maybe it'll die and they WON'T get a new one, or maybe they'll move, or even if we find a perfect house elsewhere, problem neighbors can always move in.

I've even thought about moving in and getting them a greyhound as a gift when the doberman dies - greyhounds are known to bark very rarely!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I would pass. These people do not care about their dog's welfare or their neighbors. It points to their lack of character and most likely, they will be inconsiderate neighbors in multiple ways.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:47 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
A. The Board of Trustees of the Village of Sea Cliff shall appoint one or more dog control officers to assist with the control of dogs and the enforcement of Articles II and III of this chapter and Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law and rules and regulations promulgated pursuant thereto.
[Amended 12-1-1986 by L.L. No. 4-1986, effective 12-22-1986]

B. Each dog control officer shall be appointed for a term not to exceed one year.

C. Each dog control officer shall have all the powers of a peace officer in enforcing the provisions of Articles II and III of this chapter or of Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law. In addition, any dog control officer authorized by the Village to assist in the enforcement of Articles II and III of this chapter or of Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law may serve any process related to any proceeding, whether criminal or civil in nature, and including an appearance ticket, undertaken in accord with the provisions of Articles II and III of this chapter or of Article 7 of the Agriculture and Markets Law.
[Amended 12-1-1986 by L.L. No. 4-1986, effective 12-22-1986]

You can also check with the Village Dog Officer(s)...........

I told you Sea Cliff takes it seriously.

Sea Cliff being the type of village it is..............you can be waiting a very long time.. if ever........for another house. I've been wanting to move back for 5 years.. and still haven't found anything I really liked for a price I was willing to pay.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:19 PM

152 posts, read 399,646 times
I can picture the owner(s) of that home and I think its a potential nightmare/low life type neighbor. This is very indicative of some irresponsible dog owners in general. You know the type that:

1) Says "my dog doesn't bite" as its dog runs up and jumps on you!

2) has no problem having its dog urinate/defecate on your lawn!

3) walks the dog unleashed or with a 1 mile long expandable leash!

4) has no problem allowing its dog to bark non-stop because barking dogs are not supposed to bother neighbors!

5) has the attitude that if he/she gets a new dog, the whole neighborhood has to adopt to new dog not vise versa!

6) Picks up its dog excrement only when being watched!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island