Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:37 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBesq View Post
Hello,

Is anyone able to get reliable 3G/LTE service on the LIRR Ronkonkoma line? My wife commutes daily to NYC and has an iPhone 4 with Verizon. It's basically useless for internet, but she sees other people on the train playing with their phones.

Does anyone have a phone and service that actually lets you browse the internet at usable speeds for the entire ride, or at least most of it? She doesn't want to upgrade to an LTE Verizon phone if it's going to be just as bad. Are other providers/phones better for this purpose?

Any help and input is much appreciated. Thanks.
No problems here using VZ 3g/LTE...an occasional hicup...but very good. And as far as the optimum crap...good luck with that as its horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 06:58 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR99 View Post
Optimum WiFi is only available at each station, not on the actual train.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
No you can use it on the trains in between stations. I have done it. It's def spotty but it does work even if the train is not stopped at a station.
Quote:
We do have Optimum, but have found that to be kinda hit or miss as much as Verizon's 3G. Is anyone out there getting good service on the train from Verizon LTE or is AT&T the way to go for useful LIRR net browsing?

You would think with all the people on the trains they'd have that whole run pretty well covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It's the LIRR. They can't get anything right. I wouldnt expect much lol

The LIRR does NOT HAVE wi-fi. Its Optimums wifi you are getting.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:00 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
No problems here using VZ 3g/LTE...an occasional hicup...but very good. And as far as the optimum crap...good luck with that as its horrible.
Its fine if you get an uncongested node(i.e. NOT an LIRR station) and you dont move.

Verizon service is OK, not great along the LIRR.

really spotty service between Ronk and CI, around Pinelawn and in the trench between Jamaica and Woodside.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 9,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Its fine if you get an uncongested node(i.e. NOT an LIRR station) and you dont move.

Verizon service is OK, not great along the LIRR.

really spotty service between Ronk and CI, around Pinelawn and in the trench between Jamaica and Woodside.
So would it be fair to say that all providers have mediocre service on LIRR?

Old 07-27-2013, 07:51 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
So would it be fair to say that all providers have mediocre service on LIRR?
To be honest, I don't have any problems with Verizon 4G on the LIRR, besides the tunnels. It depends on your phone too, iPhones don't get VZW 4G.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:06 AM

70 posts, read 180,934 times
here's the thing i had the 3g/lte with verizon and the service just plain sucked. i bought a newer phone (4g) and though the service is spotty it works well for the most part. When i asked one of my buddies at vz he said they really arent servicing the 3g anymore in an effort to get people to upgrade to the newer phones and get them off of their unlimited data plans and the 4g.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island