Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 9,028 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Is anyone able to get reliable 3G/LTE service on the LIRR Ronkonkoma line? My wife commutes daily to NYC and has an iPhone 4 with Verizon. It's basically useless for internet, but she sees other people on the train playing with their phones.

Does anyone have a phone and service that actually lets you browse the internet at usable speeds for the entire ride, or at least most of it? She doesn't want to upgrade to an LTE Verizon phone if it's going to be just as bad. Are other providers/phones better for this purpose?

Any help and input is much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Do you have optimum online? The trains have optimum and if you are an Optimum subscriber you can use the wifi for free. It isnt so great bc it goes in and out and doesnt work past a certain point bc Optimum doesnt service all the areas. The people who are using phones either are using crappy 3G on the trains (which also goes in and out) or they are using the Optimum wifi.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:24 PM

28 posts, read 74,069 times
I use AT&T and have great coverage from Ronkonkoma to Penn. There was a dead zone between Ronkonkoma and CI, but they seem to have fixed that recently. LTE kicks in around Deer Park or Brentwood, and is slowly moving east (at the beginning of the year, LTE only kicked in around Hicksville).

Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM

28 posts, read 74,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Do you have optimum online? The trains have optimum and if you are an Optimum subscriber you can use the wifi for free. It isnt so great bc it goes in and out and doesnt work past a certain point bc Optimum doesnt service all the areas. The people who are using phones either are using crappy 3G on the trains (which also goes in and out) or they are using the Optimum wifi.
Optimum WiFi is only available at each station, not on the actual train.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR99 View Post
Optimum WiFi is only available at each station, not on the actual train.
No you can use it on the trains in between stations. I have done it. It's def spotty but it does work even if the train is not stopped at a station.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,028 times
We do have Optimum, but have found that to be kinda hit or miss as much as Verizon's 3G. Is anyone out there getting good service on the train from Verizon LTE or is AT&T the way to go for useful LIRR net browsing?

You would think with all the people on the trains they'd have that whole run pretty well covered.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBesq View Post
We do have Optimum, but have found that to be kinda hit or miss as much as Verizon's 3G. Is anyone out there getting good service on the train from Verizon LTE or is AT&T the way to go for useful LIRR net browsing?

You would think with all the people on the trains they'd have that whole run pretty well covered.
It's the LIRR. They can't get anything right. I wouldnt expect much lol

Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 PM

But Optimum cant cover the whole run and thats not LIRR's fault. Optimum cAnt cover the whole run bc some areas of Queens are not Optimum areas, they are TWC.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBesq View Post

I'm an infrequent Port Jeff line rider and ting AT&T 4G works well while the train is moving.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,956 times
When it comes to the Ronkonkoma branch, I routinely ride the LIRR from Mineola to Penn Station and Atlantic Terminal. I get a 4G signal all the way to the tunnels. I get weak service under the river, and and decent service in Penn Station. Going to Brooklyn, I don't get any service when the train goes under Atlantic Avenue (except for the East New York station). I recently rode the other way going from Hicksville to Ronkonkoma, and while I didn't use my phone continuously for the whole ride, I don't recall ever losing 4G when I was checking my phone. I've only rode that branch between Mineola and Hicksville once, and that was before I had a 4G phone, but I'm pretty sure you'd get 4G service there.

I have Verizon, btw.

Edited to add: I have a Galaxy Nexus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island