Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 8,180 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Someone told me that I need a permit to change the sizes of my windows. I asked my contractor (from a large company), he said he does this all the time and no one gets a permit for a minor job like this and it seems like many people do small things without permits... The window that I want to change its size is on the street side of my house, so if the inspector or assessor(?) takes a careful look at my house, the change maybe be noticed. There are many houses in my neighbor with different window sizes, I wonder if everyone went through this permit process...just to make it slightly wider or longer...

Also the contractor said everything will meet the building codes, everyone he works with are licensed, so if we get caught, we can get a permit, just pay a little more fee. Is this right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
You should check with your town. I've been told that if there is structural change to the house then a permit is needed.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:48 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
If the window is smaller or narrower than the orginial, there is no strucutral changes. If its wider and you need a new header, you should get a permit.

You most likely won't get caught but, they may make you remove sheetrock.

Pictures of the framing might help.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times
I do think you're supposed to get a permit if you enlarge the opening. The front windows on the house I sold 3 years ago (in NHP) were changed by the previous owners. They removed the usual boring windows and put in nice bow windows - definitely bigger than the original windows. I had to legalize a bunch of other stuff (long nightmare story) and I was holding my breath thinking I might be told I had to legalize the windows too but thankfully nothing was said. In a way, I think it's kind of ironic - the one change that's completely visible from the street and the town didn't say a word! My former house, like so many others on LI, was built in 1948 and I'm pretty sure no one was putting bow windows in back then (and the original blueprints the town has on file must show the usual boring windows)! I think they're more obsessed with going after the 'big' items like finished basements, decks, CAC, etc. You'll probably be okay without getting a permit but technically speaking, you should get a permit.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:09 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
^^^ My neighbor wanted to put in a bow window when she renovated and the village told her she'd need a variance!

Old 07-29-2013, 01:14 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,229,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
^^^ My neighbor wanted to put in a bow window when she renovated and the village told her she'd need a variance!

WHAT?!?! A variance for what? Would the window be too close to the neigbor's house? LOL

Old 07-29-2013, 02:26 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
/\

I can see it if the neighborhood was built with some type of legal covenant in place.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:17 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
WHAT?!?! A variance for what? Would the window be too close to the neigbor's house? LOL
Yeah, it would've been on the side and that was exactly it. Can you believe it? Extended the footprint of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island