Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:16 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,529,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary311x View Post
Hi,
i moved to East Northport almost 3 years ago. my neighbors and i have gotten along quite well, however, one of my neighbors has two really beautiful cars in his garage, and uses the ventilation fan installed to keep the garage from getting too hot. he also does some work in the garage.
i completely respect that and understand, but its excessive. it runs for at least 8 hours a day! after three consecutive summers i finally asked him, and very politely! to limit the duration the fan is running.

of course, i explained, im not asking to never have it on, i woudnt be selfish like that. just on so long. id like to be able to have my back sliding door open with the screen closed enjoying the breeze and id like to be able to enjoy the peace in my yard, reading relaxing, without it sounding like im in a wind tunnel, day after day all day long.

he has not communicated back with me kindly. he gets very short and borderline nasty. he claims he has the fan set so that the garage temp doesnt exceed 110 degrees. we've had some beautiful weather days, and some super hot ones this summer. i happen to think its moreso the fact he just really likes to have it on so that the ventilation is always in good standing. again, im not saying never have it on, im not like that, but shorten the length of time its running.

i also suggested getting a portable air conditioner/humidifier, they have settings as well, this way its inside the garage, less noise, and the vent fan will kick on when necessary.. and the ac/humidifier will help, tremendously. that, he didnt respond to, at all.

3weeks later, i approached him on the solution with the ac and he exclaimed that he is not going to buy an ac. but he'll use an outside fan when he's at home. well, i spent a lot if money to buy this home, i shouldnt have to deal with this every single day dont you agree?

currently its 5pm, he's at home now, garage doors are wide open and vent has been running since before 1130am!

i looked up noise code for the town of huntington, but a. im not sure if it'd be a valid complaint, (hard to follow the infrmation on that site) and b. id rather not go in that direction if it can be helped. but if i have to, so be it.

please, ive been more than reasonable. im asking out if sheer consideration. i find it very rude and obnoxious of him. please help.

thanks!

ps i have two dogs and always make sure they dont bark or cause any disturbance.
I agree, Meth Lab. Does he get free garbage bags from the town? He might be useing gov/town property for his meth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's a girl thing, too. I have antique cars, bikes and pro streets which I don't want to have birds poop on, acorns fall on, a neighbors cat decide to curl up on, berries or sap fall on, etc. You want to shell out $2K for side curtains, or $10K for paint? I sure don't want to have to.
I was wondering when you would pop in

Old 08-01-2013, 02:54 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It's a girl thing, too. I have antique cars, bikes and pro streets which I don't want to have birds poop on, acorns fall on, a neighbors cat decide to curl up on, berries or sap fall on, etc. You want to shell out $2K for side curtains, or $10K for paint? I sure don't want to have to.
I agree, as someone who is married to a car guy with a garage and vent fan I don't see what the big deal is. If this neighbor does not bother you except for the fan noise I would just leave it be. I live on a busy corner and there is only one neighbor next to me and he's never home. Though our vent fan is not on every day all day it does go on. I guess I am so used to the busy roadway and noise by my house that I am immune to it. It's obvious you have spoken to him about this and he is not going to do anything about it. I am not really sure if their are noise ordinances for this type of issue.

Last edited by lubby; 08-01-2013 at 03:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island