Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:08 PM

204 posts, read 297,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Unless your salary jumps to six figures in 2 years you maybe forced to sell or live on ramen.

If you may $62k, your take home pay after tax is no better than $3k month. That monthly mortgage will take more close to 50% of your paycheck.

This is not including expenses you gotta pay for your home. The biggest reality is how can you afford the property taxes.

Assuming a modest $6k in property tax, that will add another $500 to your monthly mortgage bill without any deductions.

Why can't people just rent? Renting is not terrible as long as you got a great lease.

Because renting is paying someone else's mortgage for them. And here on LI, if you're not a snob, you can get a decent house for under 300k, if you're willing to do some work or live in one of the less desirable neighborhoods. And to top it off, with 90k down like the op the mortgage and taxes on a 275k house will b e about 2k per month. That's less than the monthly rent of a decent apartment here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 04:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Unless your salary jumps to six figures in 2 years you maybe forced to sell or live on ramen.

If you may $62k, your take home pay after tax is no better than $3k month. That monthly mortgage will take more close to 50% of your paycheck.

This is not including expenses you gotta pay for your home. The biggest reality is how can you afford the property taxes.

Assuming a modest $6k in property tax, that will add another $500 to your monthly mortgage bill without any deductions.

Why can't people just rent? Renting is not terrible as long as you got a great lease.
Because renting is the equivalent of throwing money down the toilet... And also what Apple Juice said. If you are going to pay someone else's mortgage you might as well just pay your own.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:48 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Because renting is the equivalent of throwing money down the toilet... And also what Apple Juice said. If you are going to pay someone else's mortgage you might as well just pay your own.
...except that my rent is about half of what I'd spend on a mortgage and taxes on a comparably sized place in the same neighborhood, I pay no property taxes, my heat and landscaping are included in the rent, and if anything breaks, it's fixed within 48 hours at my landlord's expense and inconvenience (admittedly, I have a very good landlord and a very good lease).

Yup, it's totally a better deal for me to spend twice as much money each month, plus property taxes, plus utilities, plus savings towards a reserve fund for when things break, for a place that's the same exact size and quality as where I live now just so I can claim the "privilege" of home ownership.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:26 AM

204 posts, read 297,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
...except that my rent is about half of what I'd spend on a mortgage and taxes on a comparably sized place in the same neighborhood, I pay no property taxes, my heat and landscaping are included in the rent, and if anything breaks, it's fixed within 48 hours at my landlord's expense and inconvenience (admittedly, I have a very good landlord and a very good lease).

Yup, it's totally a better deal for me to spend twice as much money each month, plus property taxes, plus utilities, plus savings towards a reserve fund for when things break, for a place that's the same exact size and quality as where I live now just so I can claim the "privilege" of home ownership.

In your situation that may be ideal. In the OPs situation for his price range an apartment will cost more than a mortgage for a space of comparable size, at least in nassau county. I'm in a similar situation to the op and I'm selling my house and moving to another. We contemplated renting in between moves or just permanently. However, when we began looking at apartments we found that a nice apartment with 2 or more bedrooms will cost at least $2500/month. This is more than our mortgage will be on our new house. In practical terms, unless you're looking in a much higher price bracket, buying can be a much more econonomical way to go.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:

Buying can actually end up being cheaper in many cases.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:51 AM

67 posts, read 110,994 times
Quote:

And you're building zero equity.

Renting can be a great way to save money while you work toward homeownership but as a long term thing especially in LI where it's so expensive its better to own.

When you are retired you will still be paying rent that's equivalent to a mortgage payment while others can live in their homes just paying taxes and homeowners or can sell the home and take the proceeds and downsize.

And you can never be thrown out of your house if you pay the mortgage. Your landlord can decide tomorrow to sell the house and throw you out. Or not renew a lease.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarcastic View Post

Renting can be a great way to save money while you work toward homeownership but as a long term thing especially in LI where it's so expensive its better to own.

When you are retired you will still be paying rent that's equivalent to a mortgage payment while others can live in their homes just paying taxes and homeowners or can sell the home and take the proceeds and downsize.

And you can never be thrown out of your house if you pay the mortgage. Your landlord can decide tomorrow to sell the house and throw you out. Or not renew a lease.
All of this. Thumbs up. Well said.

Owning is so satisfying. I love the feeling of building equity and working toward something. I miss it :/

Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 AM

192 posts, read 354,973 times
My husband and I bought our home with similar savings in the bank as you, but we earn considerably more. We found a 3br/2bath house under $400K in good condition that only needed some minor work that is mostly cosmetic. We put 20% down, got a 3.5% interest rate through a credit union. We live comfortably -- we don't have as much disposable income as we did when we were renting, but we have still gone on vacations and out to dinner and stuff like that.

That being said, I think the advice about renting being "a waste of money" is outdated. I mostly hear it from people in their late 20s/early 30s who won't move out of their parents' house. You're paying for a roof over your head -- a very mature thing to do.

I also hear it from friends who are now house poor. I never wanted to be house poor. I think my husband and I are in a much better financial situation because we rented for 5 years instead of rushing to buy something small as soon as we got engaged. I have friends in that situation who bought tiny starter houses thinking they'd sell later and now they can't. I have friends who own houses who have no money to do anything else other than sit and stare at each other in their house -- or they have to put everything else on a credit card. Is that really a better financial decision than renting?

Old 08-20-2013, 10:36 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
Quote:

Why would you assume my plan is "rent always"? It isn't, and that wasn't my point. My point was that I could utterly break my back spending twice as much to own rightthisveryminute, OR, I could take the money I'm NOT spending on taxes, upkeep, etc., and build up a large down payment so that when I do buy something, it's not going to cost me as much to own it (and I'm not going to have to settle as far as where I live or the quality of my future home). I've run the numbers, and it's cheaper in the long run for me to rent for 2-3 years while saving up a 20 or 30% down payment than it would be to slap down $15K on a $350K shoebox in a town I don't like and then spend the next ten years paying PMI, plus 20 more with a monster mortgage. (And don't forget the taxes! Because I definitely want to spend $10K+ every year on top of mortgage, PMI, utilities, and upkeep costs to live in a shoebox in a town I don't like!)

And JDawg, I don't know where you were looking, but I found dozens of 2 bedroom apartments for under $2K when I looked last year, nearly all of which were nice enough to live in comfortably as a pair of young professionals. I live in one of them now. Additionally, absent a large down payment, I've yet to come across a home in an area I'd want to live in that'd cost me less than $2800 a month with taxes and PMI factored in, so my calculation is obviously different from yours.

Does owning make sense for some people? Absolutely. My point was that all of this "OMG you're flushing your money DOWN THE TOILET if you ever rent under any circumstances EVER" hysteria is unwarranted. I know it's shocking and confusing for many Long Islanders, but believe it or not, sometimes, for some people, renting actually - gasp! - makes more financial sense than buying.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:47 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Equity is the owner's value in an asset or group of assets. You can build assets without owning a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island