Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 09:27 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times

Advertisements

So I live in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn and just accepted a job offer in Inwood, LI. I'd be commuting at around 6:30am. What I'd like to know is what can I expect in terms of traffic?

Namely, what does the belt parkway look like heading eastbound at that time and also at 4-5pm?

Would going through Flatbush Ave/Rockaway Bridge/Beach Channel Drive in order to avoid the belt by Kennedy and the nassau expressway be a smart option?

Without traffic, it should be a 35 minute commute, but I know the belt can get ugly in places.

I've been living in Brooklyn my whole life and know the roads well, but am fairly clueless about LI.

Any input, advice is much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 10:11 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Its been a while since I lived in Brooklyn but I have heard the Belt is particularly bad in both directions in the evening rush.

I will say that cutting through Rockaway is an option if the Belt is totally shot. You could also try to get onto Linden Blvd and head east that way.

As far as Inwood is concerned...its barely Long Island..its right on the Queens border.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 AM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
It's pretty bad in the afternoon and can be pretty bad in the morning if it's raining or snowing.

Cutting across Rockaway will probably not save you any time. Even if traffic is light, there are a lot of traffic lights and they are not always timed correctly. Also, there is the toll. It would be an option if the Belt was at a complete standstill which happens from time to time.

The other option would be to take the LIRR to the Inwood station. The trip is not far in distance, but it is a time consuming one.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:14 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
you'll be ok in the morning but the afternoons are going to be rough. If you can leave at 4:00 that will obviously help. Unfortunatley the Belt is in the midst of a massive reconstruction project on several of its bridges, so what was previously an awful commute is now even worse at times. I wouldn't go through the Rockaways.

Old 08-02-2013, 05:26 PM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
Thank you all for the input. Took a practice run, and the construction caused stop and go traffic both there and back. Took me 55mins each way with moderate to heavy traffic, so all in all, it wasnt so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: