Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:33 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times

Advertisements

For those who may not be familiar with Rocky Point:

Rocky Point is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the north central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Rocky Point in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Sound Beach and Long Island Sound; on the east by the Village of Shoreham, the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Ridge; on the south by the Hamlet of Middle Island; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Miller Place and the Hamlet of Sound Beach.

The Hamlet of Rocky Point has a different border than does the "Rocky Point, NY 11778" postal zone: places that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Rocky Point are in the Hamlet of Sound Beach.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 AM

240 posts, read 1,057,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
For those who may not be familiar with Rocky Point:

Rocky Point is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Brookhaven, in the north central part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Rocky Point in the Town of Brookhaven is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Sound Beach and Long Island Sound; on the east by the Village of Shoreham, the Hamlet of East Shoreham and the Hamlet of Ridge; on the south by the Hamlet of Middle Island; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Miller Place and the Hamlet of Sound Beach.

The Hamlet of Rocky Point has a different border than does the "Rocky Point, NY 11778" postal zone: places that have a "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Rocky Point are in the Hamlet of Sound Beach.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
I'm not going to argue, I'm just going to say that all Rocky Pointers define our community by the homes and neighborhoods within the "Rocky Point, NY 11778" mailing address. I think this is the best way to settle the RP/SB argument.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
... Rocky Pointers define our community by the homes Within the Rocky Point, NY 11778 mailing address.
This is not surprising, as most people and media (NEWSDAY, NEWS12 Long Island, New York Times, etc., etc., etc.) confuse the borders of the same-named ZIP Code postal zone for a community's true borders.

Please see:
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...where-you.html

For the NYS definition of city. town, village, hamlet and postal zone, please see:
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html

Old 11-12-2007, 12:02 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
This is not surprising, as most people and media (NEWSDAY, NEWS12 Long Island, New York Times, etc., etc., etc.) confuse the borders of the same-named ZIP Code postal zone for a community's true borders.

Please see:

For the NYS definition of city. town, village, hamlet and postal zone, please see:
I imagine a lot of the muddiness comes form when we were Rural Routes not long ago.

He'll I think RP just got City water int he 90s.

C

Old 11-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Please see:

Walter, I said I did not want to argue, I'm just stating the commonly held opinion of where the Rocky Point borders lie. Whether or not you believe this to be true, it is how everyone has defined this community for many years. These hamlet borders may say something different, but if nobody uses them to define where they live, they are simply a technicality.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
We are thinking of moving to Rocky Point. We saw a house we loved on a VERY hilly street. Does anyone know if this is a problem in winter? Are the back streets cleared? Anyone else live on a street with STEEP hills? Thanks
I had lived on Locust and would access it by way of Rocky Point Landing Road to Apricot. That Apricot was one VERY steep street, and was actually a lot of fun to go downhill as it felt like the first good descent on a roller coaster. That said, Apricot was always very well maintained in the winter -- Dec 95, Jan-Mar 96 we had some serious snow and I wouldn't hesitate to use that road -- up or down.

Other streets which ran parallel to Apricot -- Aster, Begonia, Canary, Daffodil, Ermine weren't quite as well kept, but passable.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I had lived on Locust and would access it by way of Rocky Point Landing Road to Apricot. That Apricot was one VERY steep street, and was actually a lot of fun to go downhill as it felt like the first good descent on a roller coaster. That said, Apricot was always very well maintained in the winter -- Dec 95, Jan-Mar 96 we had some serious snow and I wouldn't hesitate to use that road -- up or down.

Other streets which ran parallel to Apricot -- Aster, Begonia, Canary, Daffodil, Ermine weren't quite as well kept, but passable.
Apricot actually just became a double yellow line street a few weeks ago. I had a few close calls coming up that hill as you cannot see any cars coming from the opposite direction. I actually live on Locust, but the "other Locust" it's really annoying having to give directions because everyone ends up on the long Locust that goes from Kale to Nautilus.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:37 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I like hills and I miss them , living all the way over here in Babylon. There is a part of Centerport (Huntington Beach) that is very hilly. It's beautiful.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:47 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,366 times
Default For me it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
We are thinking of moving to Rocky Point. We saw a house we loved on a VERY hilly street. Does anyone know if this is a problem in winter? Are the back streets cleared? Anyone else live on a street with STEEP hills? Thanks
I don't like hilly areas. Very dangerous on icy/snowy days. Also, if development doesn't follow the contours of the land it leads to a jumbled crowded feel.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I don't like hilly areas. Very dangerous on icy/snowy days. Also, if development doesn't follow the contours of the land it leads to a jumbled crowded feel.
Driving through Rocky Point after a fresh snowfall is beautiful, it's like a Norman Rockwell painting. Winding country roads and huge snow dusted trees, oh and don't forget the best neighborhood sleighriding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island