U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 AM

148 posts, read 517,222 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to Rocky Point. We saw a house we loved on a VERY hilly street. Does anyone know if this is a problem in winter? Are the back streets cleared? Anyone else live on a street with STEEP hills? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,283,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
We are thinking of moving to Rocky Point. We saw a house we loved on a VERY hilly street. Does anyone know if this is a problem in winter? Are the back streets cleared? Anyone else live on a street with STEEP hills? Thanks
Yes.

John Rouse does a good job with snow removal.

I drive RWD and havent been stuck yet.

I like the hills...reminds me of Upstate.
Theres nothing quite like it on LI.

Just make sure your drainage is OK and that the land is working well with the house.

You'll love it here.

PM me if you want any other specific info on the town

Where are you moving from?

Why?

C

Old 11-12-2007, 10:24 AM

7 posts, read 23,465 times
Oh- this is funny. I moved to NY to go to grad school a few years back and lived in Rocky Point. I actually *did* get stuck quite a few times and had to hike it home. (It wasn't fun slipping down the hills while I was walking.) I started to call it the "Rocky Point Haul". I guess it depends where you live in the neighborhood. It seems that some of the streets would be cleared, but not all of them. I lived back on Ozone, and some days the streets either would not be cleared, or they wouldn't be cleared till later on in the afternoon- a problem for me when I was trying to get to classes in the morning!!!

Old 11-12-2007, 10:44 AM

4,751 posts, read 8,248,704 times
The hills help Clamboy see his Connecticut paradise.

Go UConn!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

Go UConn!
hahahhhahahah

Go UCONN!

A fella can dream cant he?

C

Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtles77 View Post
Oh- this is funny. I moved to NY to go to grad school a few years back and lived in Rocky Point. I actually *did* get stuck quite a few times and had to hike it home. (It wasn't fun slipping down the hills while I was walking.) I started to call it the "Rocky Point Haul". I guess it depends where you live in the neighborhood. It seems that some of the streets would be cleared, but not all of them. I lived back on Ozone, and some days the streets either would not be cleared, or they wouldn't be cleared till later on in the afternoon- a problem for me when I was trying to get to classes in the morning!!!
The problem with Ozone.

is where it intersects with Soundview.

Privately owned and maintained.

What road specifically are you looking at?

C

Old 11-12-2007, 11:21 AM

240 posts, read 982,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
Our house is sort of on a level lot surrounded by hills. We never really have any problems in the snow, especially because there are so many alternate routes you can take if you dont want to risk driving up an icy hill. For the most part the back roads are cleared very well. If you have kids, they will love it here because the schools are always the first to close!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

Go UConn!
Thats definitely the best part of the hills, Do you think I would be able to see Connecticut being nealry a half mile from the beach anywhere else? It's awesome!

Old 11-12-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Thats definitely the best part of the hills, Do you think I would be able to see Connecticut being nealry a half mile from the beach anywhere else? It's awesome!
The CT lights in the winter a beautiful

Agreed

C

Old 11-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
The CT lights in the winter a beautiful

Agreed

C
This actually amazed me, I was driving up Violet Road one day and I could see Stony Brook Hospital above the trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island