Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,721,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Did you post this on facebook yesterday? If not it was word for word.
I thought that comment looked familiar!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 AM

909 posts, read 1,835,287 times
Say what you will about the LIRR but, LIers are actually pretty lucky they have that option. I know in Houston they do not have any real public transit and the people are against it as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,223,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Bel,
Why would someone that lives elsewhere bring up the LIRR? It has everything to do with people that live on the Island, it's a major way of transportation for a lot of Long Islanders.

Yes the service has been spotty for years, that's a fact(rode it for years)... It's not anti- L.I. Thing, I was fed up and frustrated with their service also.

Now if I or anyone that moved or someone that doesn't live there brings it up I could understand where you are coming from but why would he bring it up if he didn't live there in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2
Mike, I think my point is being missed. You were fed up with the LIRR but did you blame living on LI for that? I ride the subway every single day and every single day there is some sort of delay. I don't say, "why do I live here"? See what I'm saying? I know the OP lives on LI but are they way out on the LI where they don't have any other option?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:43 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,865,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiyahd View Post
What option to someone living in say St. James have? I suppose he could drive in. Leave today and get to work tomorrow. Fair enough.
don't live that far out and commute to NYC. That's why Nassau costs more. Desirability.

My wife has been doing great with LIRR Hicksville & Bethpage the last 11 years. I'd say she's only mentioned problems a handful of times in that period. Cost is always going to be ridiculous (union).

Old 08-07-2013, 12:36 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,834,107 times
Quote:
So when it snows....big problems, can't run the trains. When it rains...big problems, can't run the trains. Last two days it's sunny, 75 degrees, light winds out of the south...big problems, can't run the trains.

So we can expect a fare hike and surely another disability/retirement benefit scandal in the near future.

Remind me why I live here again????
Its very mismanaged Railroad , but it always has been since its inception back in the 1800s... They really need to replace their tracks which tend to have issues with the heat and cold... They need to replace all of their substations some of which date back to the 1930s. They need to replace their switches with High Speed and Capacity switches like Metro North , Amtrak and NJT have done. They need to replace their older trains which often break down or have weekly hiccups. Unlike NJT or MNRR , the LIRR bends over to please towns , it needs to stop doing that and stick with the plan.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,834,107 times
Quote:
Who owns Amtrak? Shocking it's not running efficiently or profitably. The best part is the last fare hike they didn't even TRY to spin it. And I quote: "The MTA has said fare and toll are needed because of rising costs for employee healthcare, pensions and other benefits."

So they are admitting they offer no increase in service, capacity, consistency, safety, comfort, convenience, or reliability. Instead we are paying more of the money that WE work for so someone else can not have to cut back on their healthcare, pensions or other benefits.

Do they lower my fare when my salary is cut or my bonus is held back or if I get fired and have to still use the LIRR to commute for interviews?

Long story short...things are perfect!!
Amtrak only receives 1.8 billion in funding a year to operate the system it has. Roads , Private Air and Sea get close to 700 billion , if Amtrak received 20 billion a year all the issues in the Northeast would be solved. Sadly unlike most Modern developed countries which invest heavily in all forms of transportation , the US seems to have a fetish for cars and roads which mostly due to lobbyists.. The Northeastern Division of Amtrak does so well that it subsidizes the rest of the Amtrak system. The Northeastern Master Plan calls for 4,600 miles of upgraded or New Main or Secondary Intercity lines , 29 New tunnels , 70 New Bridges , 50 New stations , a New Power Plant , the plan would add New East and Hudson River Tunnels along with a New Penn station complex which would be less complex to use then today. The cost of the Plan is 150 Billion $ , if we can spend 1.8 trillion on Defense we can spend 150 billion on a Rail Network that would reduce congestion in the Northeastern US.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 PM

8,671 posts, read 11,060,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
don't live that far out and commute to NYC. That's why Nassau costs more. Desirability.
very true. If it wasn't for LIRR, housing values would plummet. That is one reason why houses cost less in places like rockland county & eastern PA.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 AM

90 posts, read 304,704 times
Someone mentioned above that once East Side access is complete, we won't be able to blame Amtrak. I believe there are 4 East River tunnels and all owned by Amtrak. I think for East Side project there are 1 or 2 tunnels added North of the existing ones - but will those be owned/managed by MTA/LIRR?

I've only been commuting less than 2 years and I just go with the flow. Yes, it affected me when there are delays and cancellations; I have young kids at home and want to see them, get to their games and such....but I guess it's just been two short a time commuting to be as frustrated as some of the others, and although it's not mandatory to work in NYC, I do understand how it gets under your skin.

Moderator cut: Wasn't the link to your blog just removed ?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-09-2013 at 04:54 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 05:19 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,356,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Say what you will about the LIRR but, LIers are actually pretty lucky they have that option. I know in Houston they do not have any real public transit and the people are against it as well.
Yeah but with the way LIRR runs we'd be better off not having anything. I'm paying $276 a month... For what?

Old 08-10-2013, 05:21 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,356,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

My wife has been doing great with LIRR Hicksville & Bethpage the last 11 years. I'd say she's only mentioned problems a handful of times in that period. Cost is always going to be ridiculous (union).
Just bc she doesnt mention a lot of problems that doesnt mean they dont exist. There were probs with the trains in that area yesterday. Follow them on twitter- there are problems everyday on some lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island