Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 08:47 AM

886 posts, read 2,647,116 times

Advertisements

I call them "girls". I'm an old fart twice their age. It is nice to come to work I will say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 09:26 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
I call them "girls". I'm an old fart twice their age. It is nice to come to work I will say.
Just busting your chops!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:29 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Teacher's not allowed access to classrooms in my home OR work district until week of August 26th. Letters went home to all staff welcoming them back and advising the date access would be allowed. That's 2 separate districts. Admin, facilities and contractors only ones allowed in the buildings until then. Two "girls" in their rooms. That's funny.
You're talking to a custodian, basically an unskilled labor position that can be done by someone without a HS diploma, who is buying his "bride" a second home in Venice, Florida. Think a school custodian anywhere else can afford to do that? No, because in most of the rest of the country (including Venice, Florida I am sure) they are working for slightly above minimum wage, P/T, no benefits because, as in the infamous Walmart thread, that is what their labor commands in the marketplace. Of course he will defend his school district and its other employees tooth and nail! I know someone whose cousin is mentally retarded and got a nice paying job (for his intellect) as a school district custodian on LI and when he retired early in his 50s he had a nice pension that he now uses to play the lottery and buy "as seen on TV" junk with. Unbelievable gravy train!

PS: Didn't know you were on the SD gravy train too, mongoose.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Not exactly. Not union. Sold my soul (and took a cut in pay) for the 15 minute commute.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,657 times
All this NCLB, common core, etc. is total nonsense. The only reason we have all this ridiculous testing is because the US ranks lower in education than other first world nations. The real problem is that too many Americans don't value education, from kindergarten through college. Obviously being of low SES will negatively impact ones focus on education, but I've seen this lack of appreciation for education attitude in the middle income as well. People look at education and working as a chore rather than a life fulfillment.

High scoring states and school districts = teaching upper class students how to get As on tests. Unless people start putting more value into education, jobs, and careers our schooling will always be in the toilet.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:24 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Perhaps the first step needs to be setting "The Standards for Americans", I really am tired of hearing what every other country is doing. If there education is so great than why do they all want to come here and work? First and formost parents need to be parents not their childs friend and take the tough stand and have expectations for their child. Second the schools need to provide a usable product with resonable goals and benchmarks. Expecting a child to pass Algebra in 6 th grade is not resonable neither is using that as a factor to determine future success.

The system and especially it's leaders have forgotten what to teach in a race to be newer and fancier. Math is math and it hasn't really changed in a thousand years. How we Speak, read and write English (yes English) needs to be stressed because that is our national tongue. Let those that have chosen to emigarate learn our lingo. We've so worried about longer school days, year round school, grooming our young protege from 1st grade to get into a "good school" that we forget to check their homework and allow them to be a kid.

Finally for all standard testing arguments correct me if i'm wrong but didn't we all take Regents Exams in HS? Whats the difference?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:56 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Perhaps the first step needs to be setting "The Standards for Americans", I really am tired of hearing what every other country is doing. If there education is so great than why do they all want to come here and work?
That itself begs the question - why are companies hiring foreigners for high skilled jobs? Two-thirds of science and engineering PhD graduates from US universities are foreign born. Why can't America's secondary school system be a strong feeder?

But the simple answer to your second question is that the US has the largest number of first rate universities like Virginia Tech and Stony Brook. So very bright college graduates from around the world come to the US for grad school and stay over to work.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
That itself begs the question - why are companies hiring foreigners for high skilled jobs? Two-thirds of science and engineering PhD graduates from US universities are foreign born. Why can't America's secondary school system be a strong feeder?

But the simple answer to your second question is that the US has the largest number of first rate universities like Virginia Tech and Stony Brook. So very bright college graduates from around the world come to the US for grad school and stay over to work.
Your first question is good, I wonder why more US students don't attend. I wonder if the foreigners are given more attractive financing or they are willing to live a more meager lifestyle for the sake of the degree. Your second paragraph makes sense but again with the new hot phrase being "STEM" the industry needs to provide better internships so students can continue working on those degrees.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:51 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You're talking to a custodian, basically an unskilled labor position that can be done by someone without a HS diploma, who is buying his "bride" a second home in Venice, Florida. Think a school custodian anywhere else can afford to do that? No, because in most of the rest of the country (including Venice, Florida I am sure) they are working for slightly above minimum wage, P/T, no benefits because, as in the infamous Walmart thread, that is what their labor commands in the marketplace. Of course he will defend his school district and its other employees tooth and nail! I know someone whose cousin is mentally retarded and got a nice paying job (for his intellect) as a school district custodian on LI and when he retired early in his 50s he had a nice pension that he now uses to play the lottery and buy "as seen on TV" junk with. Unbelievable gravy train!

Thanks for the kind words. Yes we did buy that second place where we plan to retire in a couple years. I proudly can say "my bride" is the breadwinner and without her salary we never would've been able to do this. Sorry you have a dislike for school custodians but I assure you we're not the reason your taxes are high.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Thanks for the kind words. Yes we did buy that second place where we plan to retire in a couple years. I proudly can say "my bride" is the breadwinner and without her salary we never would've been able to do this. Sorry you have a dislike for school custodians but I assure you we're not the reason your taxes are high.
I have nothing against school janitors, custodians, etc. I just have something against school districts throwing around taxpayers' money, which they do.

As per this post below, for what you actually do, you admit you are on a gravy train, so don't deny it here:

www.city-data.com/forum/15969095-post3.html

Quote:
Is it worth applying for CS jobs? When the economy is booming CS jobs are frowned upon by college graduates but when economy is in the tank (like now) CS positions are gold my friend. I have been cleaning up puke,emptying garbage cans and mopping floors for almost 30 years and my salary just hit $70k with incredible benefits.Am I rich? Nope,but I will retire with a decent pension,payed off a mortgage,managed to save $45k in a 529 for my kids college and have $almost $200k in an annuity.My bride too is in CS and she has done the same.It's all about personal responsibility and lifestyle choice.
And no apparently it doesn't look like your bride is some big shot top breadwinner in the private sector as you say in your post but is in the same civil service racket as you. "I assure you we're not the reason your taxes are high." Yeah, right!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 08-16-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island