Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:23 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times

Advertisements

From Newsday:
Quote:
The percentage of students in grades 3-8 deemed proficient or better in math declined to 31.0 percent in the latest tests, compared with 64.8 percent in 2012.
In English, the proportion of students deemed proficient or better dropped to 31.1 percent statewide, according to results from the latest tests administered in April. That compared with 55.1 percent of students deemed proficient or better in 2012.
Statistics show Long Island students, for the most part, mirrored the statewide trend.
Quote:
Many contend the state is rushing the move to tougher testing and artificially lowering passing rates through manipulation of cutoff scores.
"It's almost like a setup, if you will," said Roberta Gerold, superintendent of Middle Country schools and president of the Suffolk County School Superintendents Association.
State school officials, anticipating an angry reaction, have sought to reassure the public that lower scores simply reflect a move to more rigorous standards, not a decline in achievement.
Quote:
New York State is among the first to incorporate Common Core guidelines into its tests. Most states will not launch such testing until the 2014-15 school year, when new uniform batteries of tests will become available nationwide.
Some Long Island education leaders note that school districts generally responded to a previous state raising of cutoff scores in 2010 by beefing up instruction to boost passage rates.
I can understand the teachers and parents getting up in arms over their current kids' failures, but overall this is good for the kids of tomorrow. Teachers [and parents] will just have to work harder. I'm sure the tax-payers among us wouldn't mind. I'd also be curious to see other states' scores when they first get hit - though perhaps they're given ample warning by then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:53 AM

659 posts, read 2,517,226 times
Perhaps NYS will actually implement a curriculum and sample assessments so that teachers will know what they are supposed to teach. It is unwise for NYS to push an exam with no test prep materials for teachers and make children sit for an exam before the curriculum is even set up or deemed valid. Teachers were forced to teach to an unfair mystery test and be evaluated on the results to keep their jobs. Children will be getting ranked in unfair ways on a test that NY never allowed them to really prepare for. That is the reason why all of the other states are waiting to implement the tests.

Oh wait...Cuomo is in the pocket of the test prep company that is getting millions of dollars to create shoddy tests and sell textbooks. That makes for sound education policies. Perhaps this will be a wake up call to parents about what is really going on.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
From Newsday:

I can understand the teachers and parents getting up in arms over their current kids' failures, but overall this is good for the kids of tomorrow. Teachers [and parents] will just have to work harder. I'm sure the tax-payers among us wouldn't mind. I'd also be curious to see other states' scores when they first get hit - though perhaps they're given ample warning by then.
You may experience flack from the teaching union if "extra" is expected from their members.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:07 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Here is the CCSS homepage... http://www.corestandards.org/

What happens if a school doesn't meet the standards? We've been dealing with this down here and there is a bit of shenanigans that happen to stay accredited, like putting the IB program in the county high school with one of the highest drop out rates in the state to raise the average GPA of the school.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 08-07-2013 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 10:14 AM

796 posts, read 1,756,486 times
I don't what the big deal here is... they changed the cutoff for proficiency and therefore a lot less students are marked as "proficient." If we were to use last year's standard, then we would get numbers more like last year.

Though I'm very sceptial about assessing student's proficiency over a single test, but I do remember the tests being pretty basic...

Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM

Did they break out the changes school by school on the Island? I would expect the better schools and bad schools to see little change, but most of it in the schools closer to either side of the median.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:43 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Did they break out the changes school by school on the Island? I would expect the better schools and bad schools to see little change, but most of it in the schools closer to either side of the median.
Partially agree, the bad schools may have VERY bad results. Good schools will slightly decline in scores.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:50 AM

Usually (always) the change happens in the middle of the distribution, like the fluctuation in the number of the middle class while the number of rich and poor are more steady. So I'd be surprised to see much change in CSH, Syosset or the bad schools that I won't name, but more in say NB.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:50 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Right before I retired from teaching, the state went berzerk with all of its testing . Class trips , plays and often music & art were pushed aside and sacrificed to test practice. On the day of the test, many children were actually ill from all the stress.

I graded the 4th grade ELA tests for the state a few times and often children would draw a little heart or even a cross on the writing part of the test and plead with the person grading the test not to fail them because their parents would be so disappointed. It was just horrible.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM

Nancy, were there any repercussions for a school not doing well on those tests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island