Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

More shooting down what we have instead of naming the pros of other places in particular. You could literally complain about anything, even your own kids. What does that tell you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You would probably find there are many locations that offer the diversity you perceive as being unique to the island.
I've asked and have been asking. As recent as last month in another thread. Florida? Come on. Delaware... hmm. I'd much rather explore the CA coast but that's also $$$. My brother lived in SD and the chinese food is terrible. And the pizza forget about it. I think the only thing I liked was the atmosphere/beach. Jobs were a problem. Just want at least what we have here as far as those go and hopefully more. When our kids are out of school we don't necessarily have to stay.

Can you tell me what you have there in VA that is different than here or missing from here? What made you go exactly? I had looked into McLean. How close is the beach? I know traffic is way worse in and out of DC.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-18-2014 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
More shooting down what we have instead of naming the pros of other places in particular. You could literally complain about anything, even your own kids. What does that tell you?

Give me 10 pros of Long Island WITHOUT MENTIONING "the beach" "close proximity to NYC" or "wineries".

Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Give me 10 pros of Long Island WITHOUT MENTIONING "the beach" "close proximity to NYC" or "wineries".
You're playing this game wrong... you stopped bolding too early. YOU say it sucks here, "not where you want to be". Tell me where instead and we'll just have to see how it's better. I'm open, I really am. We all know what we've got already.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,169 times
They obviously need more activity.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:

I've asked and have been asking. As recent as last month in another thread. Florida? Come on. Delaware... hmm. I'd much rather explore the CA coast but that's also $$$. My brother lived in SD and the chinese food is terrible. And the pizza forget about it. I think the only thing I liked was the atmosphere/beach. Jobs were a problem. Just want at least what we have here as far as those go and hopefully more. When our kids are out of school we don't necessarily have to stay.

Can you tell me what you have there in VA that is different than here or missing from here? What made you go exactly? I had looked into McLean. How close is the beach? I know traffic is way worse in and out of DC.
I am not shooting down what you have, just stating that other localities offer similar features. I am in the Richmond area, if I go just over an hour east I am at the beach, an hour west the Charlottesville area with wineries among other things. I am not a gourmet but Richmond offers a broad range of restaurants and the DC Metro is just over an hour north for those that want a broader selection.

I really try to look beyond bagels & pizza (yes I know it's sacrilege) when seeing what a community can offer. I ended up in VA due to a career in the Navy, when I retired I took a position in the Richmond area so we moved out of Va Beach. D.C. Traffic may be a bear but quoting NYC during the work week or commuting from the island as a better experience is a far stretch of the imagination...

Old 03-18-2014, 09:23 AM

^ well I went by traffic rankings - DC was #2 in the country behind LA. Is there anything fun & unique to the area that we don't have access to? Only collecting info.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
^ well I went by traffic rankings - DC was #1 in the country. Is there anything unique to the area that we don't have access to? Only collecting info.
DC/NY it all turns into a traffic jam m-f..lol. I think one advantage we offer is that we are not forced through a choke point to get away from here. NYC sits like a cork in a bottle and you have to pass through her to leave and go elsewhere. For unique things to do we have extensive Civil War Battle sites for those that are into it. What type of examples are you looking for?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
I guess you don't like the city, beach or wineries. Or is it your job doesn't pay enough for you to live here comfortably?

If not why stay here and struggle?

Quote:

Old 03-18-2014, 09:40 AM

260 posts, read 450,644 times
Quote:
I'm on a boring conference call so here's my stab at 10 pros. This list is unique to me and is why I love living on the island. I'm originally from Queens so you have to keep in mind that for me my 65x100 foot plot is MASSIVE lol. I completely realize how ridiculous that sounds to the rest of the country. I'm also located in central Nassau with excellent access to shopping and transportation.

- Wonderful schools with great facilities, I took my kid to the new playground at the middle school last week....it was beautiful, better than anything I ever experienced as a kid.

- Local entertainment venues where one can watch great concerts/shows (we saw Kanye last month and will soon see both Bill Maher and Chelsea Handler in Westbury, grateful to not have to troop into Manhattan)

- Great non-chain restaurant options- pubs, French, Mexican, Brazilian, wine bars....all nearby

- Family friendly musems- LICM, Aviation and Planetarium

- No tolls to visit family in Queens and Brooklyn

- Great shopping ("upscale" grocery- Fairway/Wholefoods and retail- LV, Prada, Tory Burch, Tiffany ect....not that I frequent the latter category just again, no need to haul into Manhattan)

- Tons of great catering facilities to host family events (anniversaries, baptisms, baby showers, bridal showers ect)

- Great enrichment programs at Adelphi and Hofstra for the kids

- Government that isn't perfect but have you TRIED getting services for your family in the boroughs? I recently explored early intervention (speech) for my toddler and cannot rave enough about Nassau County Social Services. Thorough and top notch, I wasn't treated like a criminal or "moocher" but like a tax payer.

- Excellent hospitals and urgent care facilities. I personally vouche for NSUH and PM Pediatrics, both are within 15 mins from my home. SO grateful to have them nearby.

Long Island isn't perfect and yes, there are so many great places in this country to live and it's why we are proud to call ourselves Americans. For my family, because we require proximity to NYC (for work and family) and love the beach (I didn't technically list them!) the above are reasons we love living here.

Last edited by dcasty; 03-18-2014 at 10:20 AM..

Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
You're playing this game wrong... you stopped bolding too early. YOU say it sucks here, "not where you want to be". Tell me where instead and we'll just have to see how it's better. I'm open, I really am. We all know what we've got already.

You can't name 10 pros of Long Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island