Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:03 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,135 times

Advertisements

*Usually* whenever I visit a suburb in a different region, it's almost always just a mix of subdivisions and wilderness....with a shopping strip here and there filled with the expected stores: that's it! No kind of history, no landmarks, nothing special whatsoever.

And the houses usually look the same or almost the same as every other house in the subdivision. YAWN!

I actually plan on leaving Long Island in 1-2 years (for the same reasons as most ppl) but I couldn't help but notice this.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 08-12-2013 at 09:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 09:09 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
*Usually* whenever I visit a suburb in a different region, it's almost always just a mix of subdivisions and wilderness....with a shopping strip here and there filled with the expected stores: that's it! No kind of history, no landmarks, nothing special whatsoever.

And the houses are usually so cookie-cutter, they look the same or almost the same as every other house in the subdivision. YAWN!

I actually plan on leaving Long Island in 1-2 years (for the same reasons as most ppl) but I couldn't help but notice this.
You're not looking in the right places... Lots of rich history and landmarks across the country. What do you like or prefer ? So many options, do your homework.....

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,240 times
Take a drive through Evanston, IL (outside Chicago), or Myers Park, NC (outside Charlotte)-- the problem is that, when many LIers relocate, they go to the exurbs and ignore the inner ring suburbs. Most cities have established suburbs that have what you're looking for.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:22 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,213 times
Its all relative.

Long Island seems like a soul-sucking vacuum compared to gentrified Brooklyn.

I live in Brooklyn now, and I never sensed such community and neighborhood comradery. I grew up in north shore long Island and I barely knew my neighbors.

I will eventually move back to LI one day when my kid needs to go to school, but I dread that day.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Another piece of the puzzle is that LI has a "history" of its' own starting especially with the planning of Robert Moses and Levittown. Post WWII was the inspiration for that project. Many other suburbs were simply vacant tracts of land that developers bought and built as money and need demanded.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Its all relative.

I live in Brooklyn now, and I never sensed such community and neighborhood comradery. I grew up in north shore long Island and I barely knew my neighbors.

I will eventually move back to LI one day when my kid needs to go to school, but I dread that day.
Knowing your neighbors is a way overrated concept.

I will wave if a neighbor waves at me. I wont go out of my way to make conversation. I have often found that the best neighbors are the ones you have little contact with.

Regarding Brooklyn...I lived there for many years. The neighborhood "community" feel is not all that common.....and it certainly isnt a reason to move to Brooklyn.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:28 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post

And the houses usually look the same or almost the same as every other house in the subdivision. YAWN!

Souless, far from it visit any of the small towns/villages in Westchester as for cookie cutter just visit Levittown.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,070 times
Suburbs all over the country are generally "boring."

North Shore and costal communities on LI usually have charming houses. But communities like Levittown, Hicksville, etc. have some of the most unattractive cookie cutter housing I've ever seen IMHO. Small and cramped levitt, split, and 50s style colonial/cape houses on a postage stamp property..yuck. I'll take modern, spacious, high-sealing homes with larger bedrooms and kitchen in the sunbelt over a LI cookie cutter home anyday.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Its all relative.

I often wonder if all the young people who move to the "new" Brooklyn will stay there when their kids reach middle school and high school age. Seems to me that most are just passing through and not setting down roots. There will never be a real neighborhood until that happens in my humble opinion.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 PM

475 posts, read 852,664 times
Suburbs are nothing more then some drawn up fantasy created by a sadistic satanic developer looking to cash in on a leave it to beaver scenario. So much fakeness and Keeping up with the Joanses vibe going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island