Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 03:44 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
Was also curious about this myself. No Time Warner Cable options out in LI?
TWC doesnt service LI. Also no channel 2 on TWC right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 08:16 AM

200 posts, read 210,802 times
So Verizon and Optimum. What do you all prefer? There are no other high speed internet choices here on the island?

Old 10-25-2015, 07:16 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,237,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
So Verizon and Optimum. What do you all prefer? There are no other high speed internet choices here on the island?
None you could afford.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:11 AM

200 posts, read 210,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
None you could afford.
Verizon and Optimum I could afford.

I couldn't imagine other ISP being more than $100 (Internet only). If so that's ridiculous.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:30 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,074 times
Verizon FIOS will be cheaper when you switch but only for the short term..whether its 1 yr to 2 yrs. Thats how they get you because each time you switch, you have to pay installation fees unless its waived if you sign up for certain length of time..once FIOS promotion period ends, they jack up your rates by more than what you paid for Optimum.

FWIW, I find Optimum to be the cheapest ISP..it would prob not be a bad idea to temp switch to Fios for a 1-2 yr period and once your promo ends, go back to Optimum and take advantage of THEIR promo offer, suck up the installation fee, and negotiate with them every time they jack up your rates.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander21 View Post
Verizon and Optimum I could afford.

I couldn't imagine other ISP being more than $100 (Internet only). If so that's ridiculous.
It's not ridiculous, it's specialty. There is a duopoly (in areas without Verizon a monopoly) and for most other providers it's not worth entering the market, except for business clients who have a different need of quality of service and uptime guarantees.

For anyone other than Vz or Cablevision you will pay a premium price for slower performance, but it will be monitored and solid.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Verizon FIOS will be cheaper when you switch but only for the short term..whether its 1 yr to 2 yrs. Thats how they get you because each time you switch, you have to pay installation fees unless its waived if you sign up for certain length of time..once FIOS promotion period ends, they jack up your rates by more than what you paid for Optimum.

FWIW, I find Optimum to be the cheapest ISP..it would prob not be a bad idea to temp switch to Fios for a 1-2 yr period and once your promo ends, go back to Optimum and take advantage of THEIR promo offer, suck up the installation fee, and negotiate with them every time they jack up your rates.
If someone needs generally reliable internet both options are fine. Where Optimum runs into challenges is due to their technology. Because people in a "loop" share the same bandwidth during peak hours and performance can drop significantly. I started using Optimum around 2000 and it was like a yo-yo.

When I switched to FiOS in 2005, I did a side-by-side test for a few days to see if there was a difference before canceling Optimum. I found that FiOS, with a fiber-to-the-home approach had consistent bandwidth pretty much 24x7x365. As I did a lot of work from home it was more important to have this level of performance rather than saving a few dollars, but I do understand why many people choose for example the Optimum triple play package (although if you're willing to invest a few dollars up front Ooma is an even better buy for your home phone).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: